"Reviving" Kerbals which died due to the Kraken?

codefox

Hey,

so a friend of mine said "reviving" Kerbals (by editing persistent.sfs) is cheating, even if they died because of any bugs. I lost Jeb, Bob and Val because the Kraken hit my ship so I resurrected them. Do you think that's cheaty or do you think it's alright? How do you deal with losses due to bugs?

It is cheating

if you define it to be cheating

It is no cheating

if you define it not to be cheating

It always depends on what rules you set for yourself.

(therefore, if you have some kind of competition with your friend, it would be a good idea to clearly define beforehand what constitutes cheating for you and what not ...

usually everyone defines it different)

Edited by Godot

While one should always consider the opinions of ones' peers, in this case I think your friend is wrong. Given that this is a single player game, play as you like, and with regard to forum status, I don't think it matters.

How about you don't give a damn about his thoughts. And yes, what you did is legit, you just "fixed" the bug.

Nah, I don't really give a damn on this, I was just wondering what the community thinks about this.

Who cares, I turned crew respawn on and revived all the dead kerbals, because I crashed stuff too often. I feel like it's the way I would play for now - so I don't lose Val, Jeb, Bob and Bill, but still can't revert or quickload so I should launch a new vehicle each time I crash, and spend additional funds. When I get better, I will turn crew respawn off maybe.

I'll use save file hacks, or HyperEdit, or infinite fuel, or gravity hack, whenever a glitch in the game does something that is not my fault. Most commonly I'll look back at a ship that was on a perfect intercept orbit, and it'll be way off target. Not my fault, not intended behaviour, and not cheating to resolve it by whatever means I have to hand :)

I revived Jeb and Bill, just because I lost them on a' IVA trip to Mun. Was landing on Kerbin. Wanted to open the parachutes on 1000m Radar Altitude. Waiting, waiting. 2000m --- 1500m --- 1400m --- 1300m --- 1200m ------- CRASH

yup, crashed at 1200m RADAR altitude. What the heck?

I revived Jeb and Bill, just because I lost them on a' IVA to Mun. Was landing on Kerbin. Wanted to open the parachutes on 1000m Radar Altitude. Waiting, waiting. 2000m --- 1500m --- 1400m --- 1300m --- 1200m ------- CRASH

yup, crashed at 1200m RADAR altitude. What the heck?

I doubt thats a bug. The altitude shown in the top is the alitude seen from sea level. You could give KerbalEngineer a try, it shows you the altitude over terrain.

If something bad happens due to a bug (a clear, objective bug, not just a feature or mechanic you dislike) then it is the game's fault that this happened, not yours. There is no reason you should be punished for something you could not possibly prevent, and thus it is completely reasonable to fix the mistake the game made. Editing save files falls outside the realm of normal gameplay, but so do bugs.

Hey,

so a friend of mine said "reviving" Kerbals (by editing persistent.sfs) is cheating, even if they died because of any bugs. I lost Jeb, Bob and Val because the Kraken hit my ship so I resurrected them. Do you think that's cheaty or do you think it's alright? How do you deal with losses due to bugs?

The way I see it is this... KSP is like the hamburger combo meal YOU have bought from Burger King. If your best friend has told you they hate cheese and tomatoes, are you going to take them off your burger because they say so? I hope your answer would be something along the lines of "No, go get your own @#!% burger..." and then set your heart on enjoying what you have.

KSP is the same way... it is your copy of the game on your computer and it is there for your amusement. If you "resurrect" Kerbals for whatever reason you want, then it is well within your rights to do so.

I doubt thats a bug. The altitude shown in the top is the alitude seen from sea level. You could give KerbalEngineer a try, it shows you the altitude over terrain.

I was in the IVA, using RPM. Had the radar altitude showing, and radar altitude is the true altitude to the surface, isn't it?

You're not cheating, yes it's a bug, but!

You gotta know that unforseeable bad things often happen space(Space Shuttle Columbia, Apollo 1, Space Ship Two). Crewmen often don't come back even if everyone did their part.

Think of the setback as extra realism, maybe your O-ring became brittle, or the thermal tiles crack, or unforeseen structural resonance occurred at supersonic speed or something.

Edited by goduranus

I was in the IVA, using RPM. Had the radar altitude showing, and radar altitude is the true altitude to the surface, isn't it?

Perhaps the MFDs were too slow to update their values and/or your lander had sideways movement and crashed into a crater wall

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.