Saving my Tourists!

So yesterday I launched a rocket to the Mün and Minmus for the Tourists, but I kind of accidentally let the rocket crash into the surface of Minmus.

Now they are lying there in their capsules unable to change craft, no docking ports.

Is there any way I can transfer them to another vessel?

Or do I have to make a rocket with the Astroid grabber on it to grab them and fly back?

I hope for a fast answer fellow goodhearted tourist savers!

F361jMJ.jpg

GyF6AX9.jpg

DONE!!! Thanks guys

http://imgur.com/a/8s7H3

Thread may be closed and changed to Answered, although I would like to hear the reactions first ;-)

Edited by Phafor

Can you EVA them? If so, then easy to land next to them and have them walk over to the new ship.

Failing that, the Klaw may bail you out. Tricky job, but you could design a ship that would drop down on top of their wreckage and pick up their capsule to return home. Might have to be careful about re-entry however, if the capsule is damaged and lacks a heat shield...

Well, you could just land a rescue craft next to it (this can be a lot harder than it sounds, basically set the crashed vessel as your target and deorbit. Keep your retrograde Marker on the retro target marker and keep trying :P) and use EVA to transfer your kerbals manually. In case you don't know EVA is Extra Vehicular Activity (or sth along the lines of that) so basically let them get out and walk over to the rescue craft. However this will require the corresponding upgrade (I think it's the astronaut complex, let me check).

Edit: to EVA you will have to upgrade your astronaut complex to level two, which only costs 70k funds.

Edited by TheXRuler

I have landed a craft next to it already, but then I realised I couldn't EVA them.

- - - Updated - - -

I have already saved the pilots in the craft (Jeb and Val) but I couldn't transfer my tourists to the craft. Now the wreckage is like a totem pole for my Minmus base ;-;

I guess the Klaw is gonna be my best bet... I'll keep you guys updated with the state of my lovely tourists :'-(

To some people that replied: You can't eva the tourists... so... the Claw is really the only workable solution.

(Sure, you could design a basket out of structural pieces, and try to move it around without the claw... possibly into a cargo bay and then close the doors but as soon as you time warp, objects will pass through each other... and nobody wants to return from minmus in real time, or at best at 4x physics warp).

Otherwise... quickload from before the disaster?

Yeah I thought about quickloading, but I don't wanna cheat :huh:

So I guess I will need to pay the price and grab 'em

- - - Updated - - -

I have added some pictures!

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of reaction wheels are needed...

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe even RCS

Hehe, the good news is that rescue missions like this are often more fun than the actual contract would have been :)

Good luck, and keep us posted, I'm interested how this turns out!

Tourists can't be EVAed, but they can be transferred between seats on the same vessel.

So you won't have to transport their pods home with the klaw, just connect another ship to the pod using the claw and then transfer the tourist through the klaw into the new ship.

*Caveat: this worked in 0.90.0. I'm not sure whether the ability to transfer kerbals through pipes meant for fuel was patched out in 1.0

The klaw has a limitation : how to get past the atmosphere.

Tourists can't EVA, but I think you can "transfert" them. So :

- Create a ship with empty seats, designed for reentry.

- Add a klaw (detachable)

- catch the brocken ship

- transfert the tourists to empty seats

- detach claw

- return Kerbin.

Sounds easy,but I bet not.

You got yourself in pretty messy situation. I would flip the switch on the tracking station and put my suit up for press conference.

Official report:

Rocket was hit by class-A asteroid. NOTHING could be done to save those poor souls. Conpansation to families will be paid from contracted fees.

Will try to test if claw indeed can transfer crew. Would be strange if it could.

The klaw has a limitation : how to get past the atmosphere.

Tourists can't EVA, but I think you can "transfert" them. So :

- Create a ship with empty seats, designed for reentry.

- Add a klaw (detachable)

- catch the brocken ship

- transfert the tourists to empty seats

- detach claw

- return Kerbin.

Sounds easy,but I bet not.

I'm doing this exact thing right now, i'm going to land right now!!!

- - - Updated - - -

You got yourself in pretty messy situation. I would flip the switch on the tracking station and put my suit up for press conference.

Official report:

Rocket was hit by class-A asteroid. NOTHING could be done to save those poor souls. Conpansation to families will be paid from contracted fees.

Will try to test if claw indeed can transfer crew. Would be strange if it could.

You can transfer them! Thanks for all the great help guys!!! (and the occasional girl here)

Tourists can't be EVAed, but they can be transferred between seats on the same vessel.

This being the case, you also have the option of a mod like Kerbal Attachment System, where it would be easier to EVA a kerbonaut and wire up the vessels on the ground via a pipe or winch. (Although it may not yet work in 1.0 and you might have to wait a while. But that's ok - those tourists can enjoy the break and photosynthesise for a week or two if needs be!)

- - - Updated - - -

You can transfer them! Thanks for all the great help guys!!! (and the occasional girl here)

Oh good stuff :) Do we get mission report pictures? ^^

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.