What do SpaceX actually plan to do if they get to Mars

It's an odd question I know but think about it, Musk is always going on about his MCT but that's just that's just the transporter. They have made basically 0 plans for any base and are not currently or planning to develop base technology. Of course I guess they could go to Bigelow (although I personally don't have massive hopes for that company).

Thinking about that might be a bit soon since SpaceX are just starting to perform commercial LEO launches, have never sent any astronaut in space, and have only the F9 as a rocket...

It's an odd question I know but think about it, Musk is always going on about his MCT but that's just that's just the transporter. They have made basically 0 plans for any base and are not currently or planning to develop base technology. Of course I guess they could go to Bigelow (although I personally don't have massive hopes for that company).

How do you know that they have made no plans for bases? Do you have a source on that?

Just because SpaceX hasn't talked about it doesn't mean they're not looking into it. And even if they're not looking into it, it doesn't mean they haven't signed up a partner for the project.

Without a source, saying "SpaceX has not and will not develop any bases" is pure speculation. Of course, saying that they do is also pure speculation, but the point is: if we don't know, making claims as if we did is not scientific.

I assume for the near future it will just be an occasional test lander or test habitat if they can design one.

I'm interested to see what his MCT and BFR proposals will look like. Have to wait till the end of 2015 to find out though.

I assume for the near future it will just be an occasional test lander or test habitat if they can design one.

I'm interested to see what his MCT and BFR proposals will look like. Have to wait till the end of 2015 to find out though.

Last I heard they have actually started designing the MCT, so they are probably beyond proposals.

I think Musk said somewhere that the early colony would be inside of modified MCTs before work begins on constructing "real" buildings

Last I heard they have actually started designing the MCT, so they are probably beyond proposals.

I think Musk said somewhere that the early colony would be inside of modified MCTs before work begins on constructing "real" buildings

Makes sense as its a lot easier to set up. Using local material to build would be preferable long term as it would be cheaper than shipping all the way from Earth.

I wonder what the MCT and BFT is planning to look like. I'm betting on an oversized Falcon heavy and Dragon with on orbit refuelling.

Musk has stated before that due to the troubles in center core recovery and reuse, a giant single-stick rocket "probably makes more sense" than a tri-core setup like the Falcon Heavy. Considering they are planning to preview the architecture for the first time later this year, I'd see that as a strong candidate for what they'll end up going with.

How do you know that they have made no plans for bases? Do you have a source on that?

Just because SpaceX hasn't talked about it doesn't mean they're not looking into it. And even if they're not looking into it, it doesn't mean they haven't signed up a partner for the project.

Without a source, saying "SpaceX has not and will not develop any bases" is pure speculation. Of course, saying that they do is also pure speculation, but the point is: if we don't know, making claims as if we did is not scientific.

Good points, although I never said "and will not develop any bases" I said they aren't (from our perspective) planning anything.

Thinking about that might be a bit soon since SpaceX are just starting to perform commercial LEO launches, have never sent any astronaut in space, and have only the F9 as a rocket...

I usually have the same point of view but the rabid SpaceX fans are so sure that I wanted to see their view.

Not only that but their apparently testing prototype hardware for their Raptor engines (mega F-1's).

Also the idea of using MCT's as early constructs is a good idea, I would have thought it would be something like that at first but dropped it because it goes against Musk's "reuse everything" policy.

Musk has stated before that due to the troubles in center core recovery and reuse, a giant single-stick rocket "probably makes more sense" than a tri-core setup like the Falcon Heavy. Considering they are planning to preview the architecture for the first time later this year, I'd see that as a strong candidate for what they'll end up going with.

Yeah he said he want's a single core design (which I prefer :) ). I'm thinking along the lines of a N-1 with Raptors.

You'd first need to explain why anyone would want to live on Mars, then show what advantages it has over the Moon, or even just a space colony (rotating).

You would have to ask Musk himself :P, personally i'm more on the lunar bandwagon.

Raptor engines (mega F-1's).

They've been drastically scaled down to about 2300 KN of thrust (roughly 3 times the Merlin). Massively smaller than the first plans which is why I suspect on orbit refuelling.

Coincidently this would mean 9 Raptors would have a very similar thrust to the 27 Merlins of a Falcon Heavy. A single core rocket using these would be much better than the heavy due to easier reuse and a large upper stage.

You would have to ask Musk himself :P, personally i'm more on the lunar bandwagon.

The moon makes more sense, and is really quite a bit easier. Mars shares most all the problems associated with the moon, with none of the advantages. As it is not really any more habitable, and there are benefits to having an airless world.

The moon makes more sense, and is really quite a bit easier. Mars shares most all the problems associated with the moon, with none of the advantages. As it is not really any more habitable, and there are benefits to having an airless world.

I agree, plus it's only 3 days away so it can be colonized (or evacuated :S) faster.

- - - Updated - - -

They've been drastically scaled down to about 2300 KN of thrust (roughly 3 times the Merlin). Massively smaller than the first plans which is why I suspect on orbit refuelling.

Coincidently this would mean 9 Raptors would have a very similar thrust to the 27 Merlins of a Falcon Heavy. A single core rocket using these would be much better than the heavy due to easier reuse and a large upper stage.

Oh really I did not know that, interesting.

Mars is actually much better for long term habitation. The martian atmosphere gives an easy source of carbon and oxygen. Dust on Mars is smoothed thanks to the wind while moon dust is very jagged and wreaks havoc on your vacuum seals. The 24.5 hour rotation simplifies heat management (atmosphere also helps a lot here). The short day cycle also lowers the battery capacity needed to survive the night. If you land at the poles you also have relatively easy access to hydrogen. The atmosphere also minimizes micrometeorite impacts and allows you to reach the surface from orbit for negligible dV.

The major downside behind Mars is that it takes so long to get there, and you can't easily abort in case of an emergency.

I too have to side with those who vote for the Moon. Building a base there is entirely feasible, but still, what would people do there except for scientific work similar to those on the ISS?

I too have to side with those who vote for the Moon. Building a base there is entirely feasible, but still, what would people do there except for scientific work similar to those on the ISS?

Use the resources to build stuff, exploration, building the 51st state...

If you aim for the stars you might hit the Moon if you're lucky.

or London :)

Use the resources to build stuff, exploration, building the 51st state...

There's a very long road ahead until anyone can manufacture anything from lunar resources. Until humans can finally live entirely 'off the land' on the Moon, it's an extremely expensive adventure.

I imagine, after the initial elation, reality will sink in and then the reaction will probably be something like this:

Hahaha, that movie was awesome when it came out :D. Yeah I think that will probably be the attitude of the average "colonist" (insert MarsOne.avi).

There's a very long road ahead until anyone can manufacture anything from lunar resources. Until humans can finally live entirely 'off the land' on the Moon, it's an extremely expensive adventure.

Maybe we can play around with the idea using cheap robots for a while, until we sort out the kinks.

Maybe we can play around with the idea using cheap robots for a while, until we sort out the kinks.

ESA has a plan to build hab modules from robots. Well... at least they are interested in the technology. You probably heard about it already, but here it is:

http://sservi.nasa.gov/articles/building-a-lunar-base-with-3d-printing/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.