PSA - you can build open ended fairings and combine them - with a little trick

ShadowZone

So I found out you can create for instance an interstage fairing consisting of two parts. I order to do that you first have to create an interstage fairing, launch the vehicle, revert to VAB, remove everything on top of the fairing (the fairing stays) then build on top of the things inside the fairing, put another fairing on top and connect it (with the trick of offsetting stuff in between). It's a bit hard for me to explain, that's why I made a video:

Best method I've seen so far. I would still like Squad to fix it so we can do this a lot easier than using part clipping exploits. One advantage to this method is that it is closer to the real Apollo, which staged off the engine shroud exposing the top portion of the lander. You could do that by staging your upper fairing and leaving the lower one intact.

Best method I've seen so far. I would still like Squad to fix it so we can do this a lot easier than using part clipping exploits. One advantage to this method is that it is closer to the real Apollo, which staged off the engine shroud exposing the top portion of the lander. You could do that by staging your upper fairing and leaving the lower one intact.

It would be awesome if there was a stock way to partially deploy fairings, since the fairing is already consisting of connected procedural parts. But for starters I just would be glad if that "cannot activate while stowed" bug disappears soon.

This is neat, but it makes me sad that SQUAD never made it so you can go through the middle of stack decouplers / separators.

P.S. Sorry for sounding noobular, but what mod gave you the "Robotic Arms" part category we saw at the beginning? Is that Infernal Robotics?

Actually, who am I kidding? A full modlist please xD

Edited by parameciumkid

This is neat, but it makes me sad that SQUAD never made it so you can go through the middle of stack decouplers / separators.

P.S. Sorry for sounding noobular, but what mod gave you the "Robotic Arms" part category we saw at the beginning? Is that Infernal Robotics?

Actually, who am I kidding? A full modlist please xD

Yep, that's Infernal Robotics

Full Mod List:

Kerbal Engineer Redux

MechJeb

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Stage Recovery

Flight Manager

Outer Planets (I save those for a gigantic career mission I have laid out)

Infernal Robotics

Tweakscale (I use if mainly for IR)

Kronal Vessel Viewer

Docking Alignment Indicator

HyperEdit

and as soon as they are updated: B9 and Kerbal Attachment System

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.