Orbital Station mission won't complete :(

Hello everyone!

So lately I've been working on a longer mission, to build an 11-kerbal capacity orbital station to meet with an E-class asteroid. This is the first time I've done a mission of this kind, so I went all out and took off.

However, once I reached the asteroid I came to realize that something was missing. All mission requirements were met, except for one. "Build the facility into a newly discovered class E asteroid".

I managed (and this part I'm quite proud of) to build an unmanned claw capable of docking with the station, and then claw the station onto the asteroid.

And voilá! I now satisfied the last requirement! But wait... !

For some unknown reason, one of the requirements that were satisfied before, have now been undone.. Have a look..

ksp_plz2.png

I've tried disconnecting the second part of the claw (white tank + engine facing camera), thus leaving one open docking port. But no luck..

Any hints or similar experiences?

Regards,

Jonathan

I think this is related to the way the game handles docking. Internally, It creates a "new ship" and remakes the part-tree. However, I fail to see how it will prevent the goal to be achieved.

That little note under the mission probably says station needs to be new and created after the mission. The bug might be that you allready had a ship that was satisfying for the mission and now you connected something to it thust created a new ship maybe? And now ksp might just see the current ship as the new ship but the crucial parts are from an older ship? Well this is just a speculation.

Check if the ship that resulted from the docking of your station with the claw module is still classified as a station. Sometimes the game reclassifies the craft resulting from the docking as a probe. If that is the case here just rename your ship as a station.

Wait a second... I just saw a post identical to this!

What is this sorcery?

First time posting on this forum. I ended up posting twice, since the first post didn't appear (I figured it was awaiting approval, but couldn't confirm anywhere). Sorry for confusing you :D

That little note under the mission probably says station needs to be new and created after the mission. The bug might be that you allready had a ship that was satisfying for the mission and now you connected something to it thust created a new ship maybe? And now ksp might just see the current ship as the new ship but the crucial parts are from an older ship? Well this is just a speculation.

All parts were launched after I accepted the mission. When I first arrived at the asteroid the criteria was met, but it went grey after I added the claw module :/

Check if the ship that resulted from the docking of your station with the claw module is still classified as a station. Sometimes the game reclassifies the craft resulting from the docking as a probe. If that is the case here just rename your ship as a station.

I suspected the same thing and checked right away, but that was not the case :/ Thanks for the suggestion though

• 1 month later...

I'm getting the same issue. If I detach from the asteroid, the "build a new station that has a [...]" is satisfied, while the "build the facility into a newly discovered class E asteroid" is not, and vice versa when I claw back onto the asteroid. Are these conditions mutually exclusive? I'm on the latest linux build.

So this is a guess, but perhaps the asteroid is failing to count as "new" in the "new station" requirement, even though it's counting as "newly discovered". I wonder if this might occur if it did something like spawn before taking the contract but had tracking initiated afterwards.

If I'm right then selecting a different asteroid that you're sure spawned and had tracking started after the contract was taken and, perhaps, after the station launch would fix it. Unless clawing to an "old" asteroid ends up permanently marking the station as "old".

• 3 weeks later...

Right under "Build a new station that..." there's a plus sign in brackets, notes; click that, what does it say? Information given there could help figure out exactly what's lacking.

Just a guess, but as others has mentioned, perhaps that claw is seen as the "mothership", with additional living quarters attached. But as the class craft doesn't have antenna etc., it won't complete.

Did you dock the two craft from the station's point of view or from the claw's point of view? Perhaps that has a saying.

If you undock, does the building criteria then go green, or are you still in the grey?

If so, you could undock everything, then dock to the claw while controlling the station, then dock everything to the asteroid.

Or dock to the station while controlling the claw, then dock to the asteroid.

Good luck

no need to classify anything as a station for the requirements. I've like 5 orbital and 4 surface stations at the Mun and Minmus, and around Kerbin, none of them classified as stations, all met the requirements.

I think it's to do indeed with the asteroid not being recognised as part of the ship, and "into" in my dictionary means "inside", iow, underground, which is of course not possible (but that may be an error in translation from Mexican to English, who knows).

Renaming it as a station doesn’t work. Also, the asteroid fulfils the contract requirements, there's even a notification confirming this when you latch on.

The asteroid might fulfill the asteroid requirement, but what might be happening is that when you dock to it, the new "vessel" that is created is not considered "newly built for the contract" because part of it, the asteroid, existed before the contract was taken.

Yeah, it's picky about what gets docked to what, frankly, I've had the same issue. Like which ship is in control when docking takes place determines the primary vessel of the docked craft. Instead of unlocking an re-docking stuff, I've simply opt-F12ed (alt-f12 on a pc) and told the game to complete the contract---I know I built everything new, I can't be bothered that the game is sometimes flakey about accepting the resultant craft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.