Pitch controls are behaving weird

KSP: 1.02 Windows 32bit

Problem:

After i EVA'ed with Jeb to get some science. My pitch control is doing weird.

When i hold 'S', i see the pitch indicator go to the bottom. After turning some bit, i see the pitch indicator go the the top (while still pressing 'S').

Anyone else noticed this behavior?

Restarting KSP didn't help.

EDIT: It doesn't seem related to EVA or Remote Tech.

When i launch a new aircraft this also happens.

Mods installed:

ModuleFlightIntegrator

NuFar

List from CKAN.

Get the savegame here.

Reproduction steps:

Lauch rocket. Hack gravity. Hold 'S'.

The rocket stops turning ~45 degrees.

Log:

Didn't find any exceptions that could have caused this. Will add one, if I have better reproduce steps.

Edited by BlackSoldierB

KAS is the only one that is not compatible with 1.02

Others are atleast 1.0.

EDIT: When i removed NuFar and ModuleFlightIntegrator, the issue went away.

Apparently my CKAN didn't update to FAR to 15.1. In this update the following issue is fixed.

Fixed improper determination of vehicle main axis

EDIT2: Apparently is had enabled the AoA and Pitch button in the FAR dialog. (Which also work in space for some weird reason)

Edited by BlackSoldierB

• 6 months later...
[quote name='BlackSoldierB']EDIT2: Apparently is had enabled the AoA and Pitch button in the FAR dialog. (Which also work in space for some weird reason)[/QUOTE]

OMG thank you so much for posting your solution! I found this thread because I'm having the exact same issue since days and was going nuts because I couldn't find the cause ... D:
I had indeed the assist buttons in FAR enabled. And disabling them solved it!

This should really be fixed in FAR so it doesn't work in 0G / 0atm.

It is intended to work in space. It would be much worse control system design to have the system automatically shut itself off without user input; the controls are supposed to follow the user's instructions, and in the cases you're describing, the last instructions were to activate the control systems. They're exactly the same as SAS in that regard.

I dug a bit into this. Figured it is actually the Pitch and / or AoA which causes the problems. If you only have Pitch enabled, you can control the ship, it is a bit hard because it doesn't really want to head the direction you want. But with AoA enabled it behaves really weird, as it doesn't allow you to pitch your nose below or the artificial horizon or something.

I made a short video of what I mean (sorry, Kazam didn't record sound and mouse):

[video]https://youtu.be/OFQuMge129U[/video]

[LIST]
[*]After launch everything is fine as long as you are inside the atmosphere.
[*]But if you are in space and have the flight assists on, the ship starts to randomly spin and turn as soon as you disable SAS or set SAS to maneuver node for instance.
[*]Especially with Pitch and AoA enabled. But just AoA enabled will also cause the same effect.
[*]At one point in the video I was just holding W, but the ship bounced up and down. It did turn fine in all other directions (A, S, E, Q), but not W / S.
[/LIST]

But the biggest "fool trap" here is that the settings are globally persistent across the sessions. So if you had them enabled because you were flying / testing an airplane some days ago and forget to turn them off afterwards, you are really wondering what is suddenly wrong with your KSP and you start doing weird things like deleting recently installed mods, creating new save game, etc. Until you find this thread ... :D Edited by nuclearping

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.