When you Fail, Try...Try...Try? Again

RogalDorn

(Sorry for the lack of screenshots...no idea this was going to become so silly!)

I was very excited about trying to finish a mission to put a science station in orbit of the Mun. I designed my lifter, got everything prepped and eventually got it into LKO, but my ship wiggled around so much that I was way off equatorial orbit. I tried to correct it, but ran out of everything including RCS.

Huge fail...but I still had a space station in LKO!

So I sent up a ship to refuel it...huge success, this was my first time docking two ships together! I was able to get the thing two thirds of the way filled with fuel AND fully fill the RCS systems. TIME TO GO TO THE MUN!!!

So I flew the thing to the moon, got my intercept set up and executed. But I didn't have enough fuel to make an Orbit! "Ruh Roh!!! USE THE RCS!!!"

Used up all my RCS and managed to get into an orbit with a Periapsis of 7k and an Apo of 1.6 Million at a crazy crazy non equatorial orbit... Technically...mission accomplished...BUT NO! SEND THE MUNAR PROBE REFUELER!!!

Managed to match orbit and Dock a refueling ship with an engineer to fix some broken solar panels (Thought you could...apparently not), but accidentally hit space bar and detached my engines... But I did refuel the RCS Systems!

End result, Munar Orbiter Alpha is in a stable circular orbit of 30k...but still not a totally normal equatorial orbit. totally out of RCS AND no engines, probably need 200 more dV to finish getting things perfect...

Do you guys think I should send ANOTHER ship to join the party? :confused:

Managed to match orbit and Dock a refueling ship with an engineer to fix some broken solar panels (Thought you could...apparently not), but accidentally hit space bar and detached my engines...

<ALT>+L is your friend - always lock your staging when you don't expect to be doing any soon.

Fun story though. And yes, you should always send another ship. Just because it's Kerbal.

<ALT>+L is your friend - always lock your staging when you don't expect to be doing any soon.

Fun story though. And yes, you should always send another ship. Just because it's Kerbal.

150 hours of KSP and I am still learning the interface!!! That is EXCELLENT to know. Thanks!

You know, stories like that make me both appreciate quicksaving/quickloading all the more, and also wonder at what interesting scenarios I cheat myself out of by using it so often...

Yeah I usually like to let the disaster play out and see if I can fix things before quickloading. If it's a manned mission, I'll send a rescue ship if they survive, but if the whole ship blows up and I lose Kerbals, I tend to quickload...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.