Frequent Game Crashing

Version: 1.0.2, downloaded from the KSP store

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1035T 2.60 GHz

Memory: 4.00 Gb

Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce GT520

Ever since 1.0.0 came out, my game has been crashing fairly often. It's persisted through 1.0.1 and 1.0.2, I've just never bothered starting a thread about it. It seems to happen faster if I switch between screens more, so if I'm going VAB, tracking station, administration, then launchpad, it'll crash faster than just starting up a flight on the launchpad and flying around for a while.

I've got about 40 different crash dump folders right now, and that's after I cleaned it out a week ago. They all seem to say pretty much the same thing, so I'll just put up the latest error.log and output_log.txt

The game have different memory leaks who leads to a crash when it hits the 32bit limit (around 4Gb). The more you change scene the more you fill the memory. Flying low is also know to increase the leaks, try disabling terrain scatter, it should helps. The new heat system should also be avoided.

There is already a bunch of thread discussing this issue

Well at first I didn't think it was a memory leak issue, no crash report has listed more than 70% of the memory being used. Terrain scatter hasn't been on, and it definitely hasn't been related to the new temperature gauges on my install. As much as it's crashed, it actually has never seemed to be a direct result of the temp gauges, and that was a 1.0.1 issue anyways, this has been happening since 1.0.0.

Looking at my error log it seemed odd that the address space for the program only has about 100Mb left out of 2Gb, but that still seems like more than enough to prevent writing to the same memory address. Apparently 32-bit windows installations only let each program itself use 2Gb of memory addresses, anyone know anyway to increase that?

Alright, I'll try that, I'm re-extracting 1.0.2 to C:\Games now, once it finishes I'll play it for a while and see how it goes.

I'm pretty sure my textures are set to half-size right now, I don't really mind lower settings on external textures, but is there any way to keep IVA textures full size while externals are a lower size?

Well the memory crash may just have been because of where the game was, so just use the settings you're happy with for the moment.

Though the SM3 terrain shaders have caused trouble for players on older Nvidia cards, it might be worth testing KSP with those off.

Was looking good for a while, but the same thing happened again off the fresh install in C:\Games. 69% of physical memory used, and 74Mb of user address space left over. I actually turned the SM3 shaders off right after I first downloaded 1.0.0, they slowed my game down too much for my tastes so I've left them off since then.

Looks like my best option now is to turn the textures down some more, and see if I've got any driver updates that might help.

Last time I really played KSP all the time was back before they added in the tech tree and career mode, has all the stuff they've added since then really brought the amount of active RAM usage up over 2Gb? Or is it just Unity not dumping old data before loading new stuff?

Nothing as far as I know, I haven't watched the memory window in task manager at the exact same time it crashes yet, but from what I have seen when watching the memory is that the memory usage given by the error.log is the total used by all processes. I haven't seen KSP go above 1.9-2.0 Gb, and Firefox usually takes up another 0.3-0.5 Gb, which would put my total up around 2.5 out of 3.5 available memory, which is right about the 70% I usually see in the crash logs.

I concur with adinfinitum and the game (1.0.2) is unstable with some sort of memory leak. Playing in the campaign mode, I keep CTD. This last entry into the game, I kept changing scenes (VAB, Science, Admin, etc.) with the Performance Tab running. My allocated memory kept steadily rising in the scene and would go down as I entered the new scene (~950 mb to ~1100 mb). After about 5 screens, CTD. Did this twice. Right now, the game is very unstable.

What OS do you have on your computer Meridius? From what I've seen poking around on the internet so far any 32-bit windows installation only let's each program use a maximum of 2Gb at once, and I think that might be why I couldn't find any threads with a similar problem. It's been a really long time since I've gotten a new computer, I just upgrade pieces as I need, but if most computers from the past few years came with 64-bit windows that might be why it doesn't seem to be a very common problem, at least not as common as the heat gauge leak.

I have a custom built (e.g. build myself from components) Intel i5-3550 @ 3.30 GHz with 16.0 GB, Windows 7.0, 64-bit (OEM, so no added crap!) with a NVidia GeForce GTX 660 w/2GB VRAM (latest driver 350.12). Zero heat problems, no overclocking. KSP 0.90 was very stable on this system with many, many mods. The problems are reproducible in both modded and not-modded.

Primary function of this computer is modeling using ArcGIS (LiDaR data), ModFlow, HEC-RAS, ERDAS, and Arc-Hydro. There are no problems with the commercial modeling software.

Doubt it is my system.

Edited by Meridius

Well if it's happening on your computer with that build, no wonder it's happening with mine. Sounds like you've got a pretty fun job, or at least pretty interesting.

Guess that rules out it just being a 32-bit problem, and if you've got 64-bit with 16 GB RAM, doesn't look like there's anything I'm gonna be able to do with my system to fix it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.