Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

gee thanks guys. its now morning and no sleep!

was meant to work on the iss...

- - - Updated - - -

the parts:

http://i.imgur.com/vOi9cGC.png

and other possible use include:

http://i.imgur.com/73eegej.jpg

Haha, that's great! Totally useful for possible tracked rovers.

Also, Mike, did the magnet part of the arm ever get fixed? I know you got the arm working, as in motion, I just don't recall the magnet getting fixed.

kgKxFQB.jpgWSLDOJ4.png

- - - Updated - - -

still a WIP and not related to the shuttle program so it gets no attention

- - - Updated - - -

dreamchaser updated to fix all rcs and dock issues

- - - Updated - - -

that crawler mod is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/61cjj8maqndyttz/crawlermod.zip?dl=0

still wip obviously.

the node floating on the Launchpad between the 2 launchclamps attaches to the spare node on the shuttle between the engines.

please remember that.

don't forget to stage it right

also the wheels are not finished yet but will move you around slowly anyway. oh and the 'break' maybe because its hundreds of tons lol

Took the Crawler out for a spin as well as the separate wing version of the shuttle. Love the crawler, nice touch. Brakes weren't powerful enough to keep it in place though when the shuttles engines fired up.

The shuttle fly like a dream on the way up, highly impressed with the stabilization this time around. I'm guessing the difference in aerodynamics helped a lot. Only one issue I saw was it flew TOO well. I am sure some people love the new flying capabilities and though it was fun to just glide around for a while, it needs a little more brick characteristics in my opinion. Not much but just a little. I did notice the change in the control surfaces ability to control the craft. It was hard to get it lined up on any certain trajectory while in atmosphere. But, I am sure it was the same in real life.

All together, I love the new design! Even though it was a pain to put it all together. Some reason the craft files didn't work. :\

thanks. it should be easier to put together than the original css right..?

with the latest version there is a separate wing version aswell as the one piece, this is because some people experience it flying with too much drag and some say it flies too much..

I will look into the craft files again.

keep an eye on page one for the latest versions.

thanks

Mike, with the new pad with the crawler, are you going to update the gantry download to include just the tower itself... Kinda weird having a launch pad on top of a crawler on top of another launch pad if you know what I mean....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr0ahm986vlvw04/Gantrymodv2.zip?dl=0

link to new gantry

iss updated

crawler added to page 1. brake torque increased

- - - Updated - - -

got a shuttle update tomorrow. fixed rcs and including the FAR version of the shuttle with updated stock aero

(FAR patch will be continued soon)

- - - Updated - - -

Mike, with the new pad with the crawler, are you going to update the gantry download to include just the tower itself... Kinda weird having a launch pad on top of a crawler on top of another launch pad if you know what I mean....

thanks. on page one

- - - Updated - - -

Took the Crawler out for a spin as well as the separate wing version of the shuttle. Love the crawler, nice touch. Brakes weren't powerful enough to keep it in place though when the shuttles engines fired up.

The shuttle fly like a dream on the way up, highly impressed with the stabilization this time around. I'm guessing the difference in aerodynamics helped a lot. Only one issue I saw was it flew TOO well. I am sure some people love the new flying capabilities and though it was fun to just glide around for a while, it needs a little more brick characteristics in my opinion. Not much but just a little. I did notice the change in the control surfaces ability to control the craft. It was hard to get it lined up on any certain trajectory while in atmosphere. But, I am sure it was the same in real life.

All together, I love the new design! Even though it was a pain to put it all together. Some reason the craft files didn't work. :\

I will tune it down a bit. thanks

Questions/Issues about the RO version:

Orbiter.cfg is missing a bracket in the RCS section. Fixing that got me RCS, but the rear thrusters appear to be firing perpendicular to their actual orientation. The makes attitude control problematic to say the least, particularly during OMS burns.

During initial ascent, she really doesn't want to pitch over, and max-q gets way higher than the real thing, even with half-throttle (lower than the actual engines could throttle) set at launch. I saw max-q of 50,000 pa. Maybe too much thrust in the SRBs? After SRB seperation TWR is right about 1.0 so that seems right.

Speaking of SRB Sep, those things go nuts at separation. usually banging into the ET, with a lot of rotation applied to them. I looks like the nosecone rockets are way to powerful. I know the real things separate while still producing a small amount of thrust so I experimented with that with mixed results, even right before they burn out with less than 5% rated thrust they still try to outrun the orbiter.

*edit* I've been going through the numbers and the SRBs are overpowered and way too light. The SRBs weigh half as much as they should and have a good 10% extra thrust. As a test a set them to half thrust in the VAB to get a 1.5T TWR and that resulted in a much more reasonable ascent, still with a crazy separation though.

Questions/Issues about the RO version:

Orbiter.cfg is missing a bracket in the RCS section. Fixing that got me RCS, but the rear thrusters appear to be firing perpendicular to their actual orientation. The makes attitude control problematic to say the least, particularly during OMS burns.

During initial ascent, she really doesn't want to pitch over, and max-q gets way higher than the real thing, even with half-throttle (lower than the actual engines could throttle) set at launch. I saw max-q of 50,000 pa. Maybe too much thrust in the SRBs? After SRB seperation TWR is right about 1.0 so that seems right.

Speaking of SRB Sep, those things go nuts at separation. usually banging into the ET, with a lot of rotation applied to them. I looks like the nosecone rockets are way to powerful. I know the real things separate while still producing a small amount of thrust so I experimented with that with mixed results, even right before they burn out with less than 5% rated thrust they still try to outrun the orbiter.

*edit* I've been going through the numbers and the SRBs are overpowered and way too light. The SRBs weigh half as much as they should and have a good 10% extra thrust. As a test a set them to half thrust in the VAB to get a 1.5T TWR and that resulted in a much more reasonable ascent, still with a crazy separation though.

Thanks. Yeah its not too functional yet...

There are more issues on my list for the RO too.

Rcs is getting overhaul (pics a few pages back) hope for release tonight along with aero update...

I will look into booster sep. Thanks for the pointers. Main issue is I sorta wait for feedback as not much time to play game.

Hey Mike, know we hit you a lot with criticism but it's because we know you want to have the best mod of all time! Thanks so much for all you do!

Also, I was thinking, once you get pretty much everything done, at least regarding the ISS, Canadarm, Canadarm 2, CSS, Crawler, and Gantry, I think if you made one file installation with an installation runner it would help a lot of people out. Some of the biggest issues I've seen with large mods like this one is people installing it wrong simply by placing or not placing certain items in the right folders. Just an idea you might consider.

Edited by flightmanmicah

64bit is going to be a life saver once its released.

I run 64 bit install aswell as a normal one. It is good

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Mike, know we hit you a lot with criticism but it's because we know you want to have the best mod of all time! Thanks so much for all you do!

Also, I was thinking, once you get pretty much everything done, at least regarding the ISS, Canadarm, Canadarm 2, CSS, Crawler, and Gantry, I think if you made one file installation with an installation runner it would help a lot of people out. Some of the biggest issues I've seen with large mods like this one is people installing it wrong simply by placing or not placing certain items in the right folders. Just an idea you might consider.

This is indeed a real issue I have. Im not organised enough. An installer sounds good but I havent made one before. good time to learn I guess

- - - Updated - - -

I would download the crawler. But i it would crash my game. I need 64bit. Too many mods >_>

Give it a try. Might work?

I run 64 bit install aswell as a normal one. It is good

- - - Updated - - -

This is indeed a real issue I have. Im not organised enough. An installer sounds good but I havent made one before. good time to learn I guess

- - - Updated - - -

Give it a try. Might work?

Im skimming the memory limit as is. I run 3.3 gigs out of 3.5 until crash. And i do crash every hour because i run out of memory.