Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

Hi.thank you for the time to comment.

I am aware of the eva glitch. I need to edit it in the modeling program but have been so busy.

Aerodynamics have been tricky and has been the biggest issue here.

It has been modified so much to correct it and I feel it is mostly ok.

In order to get it right we can do 2 things.

I can make a patch which modifies its aero. My best guess.

this means downloading patches and getting feedback from users for a better new version.

Or if you are willing you can adjust it to how you think it should be or what works better.

thats if you are willing to edit the configuration text file.

I usually dont have much time to actually play ksp unfortunately.

Thanks for the response. If others feel that the aerodynamics are fine, then I guess I need to learn to fly the thing :). If anyone out there has had success regularly landing the shuttle, I could use some suggestions on a good descent profile. I've tried several approaches:

1) From a 100km orbit, lower my periapsis to 45 km to be to the east of KSC. During descent, I maintained a pitch angle of 30 degrees to bleed off speed. Once I get near about Mach 4, I start pitching the nose down more towards the horizon to stop horizontal speed bleed off (usually near the mountains west of KSC) to hopefully glide in the rest of the way, but once I get about Mach 1.5-2, is when the shuttle rapidly loses horizontal speed and I start dropping out of the sky. Also, using TAC fuel balancer, I tried dumping my remaining monoprop to various amounts to see if that helped any, but I noticed no change in reentry.

2) I found this video on Youtube:

(warning, audio is loud). Not conventional compared to the real thing, but it worked for that person so I figured I'd try it. Well, since the reentry is steep, my shuttle just goes *poof* due to heating. Tried mimicking it exactly, but it doesn't work for me (person may be using lower heating setting). Edit: watching again, they are using an older version of CSS since their shuttle isn't one part.

By the way, my physics settings are all stock settings, except I lowered the conduction factor per Starwaster to alleviate random part overheating, so my aero should be working as expected. No DRE and no FAR installed. Anyways, any suggestion would be appreciated!

Edited by stevehead

Hi! First of all, the textures on this looks INSANE man, GREAT work.

I have a rather frustrating problem though.. Almost every piece is overscaled for me.. I've tried uninstalling RSS and RO, but still the same. Anyone else stumbled upon this or is it just me that's doing something wrong?

I figured it was that I needed some tweaktool, but that didn't seem to do it either..

After disabling all the mods I got it to work.. Just have to find the right one now.

Thanks for the mod though, it looks freakin wicked! =)

Edited by Avskum

1st i'm missing the ruder..

2nd i cant load the space shuttle from VAB as there is a lot of missing things ..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96035968/KSP%202015-07-27%2023-14-06-87.jpg

any help??

You may have an older version.

try the one on page one of this forum or if you wish to keep your current you may have to build the shuttle from the start again

- - - Updated - - -

Try it in the sph

- - - Updated - - -

Hi! First of all, the textures on this looks INSANE man, GREAT work.

I have a rather frustrating problem though.. Almost every piece is overscaled for me.. I've tried uninstalling RSS and RO, but still the same. Anyone else stumbled upon this or is it just me that's doing something wrong?

I figured it was that I needed some tweaktool, but that didn't seem to do it either..

After disabling all the mods I got it to work.. Just have to find the right one now.

Thanks for the mod though, it looks freakin wicked! =)

Check if you have the "patches" folder in your gamedata/space_shuttle/ folder.

if you do, then delete it for normal scale

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the response. If others feel that the aerodynamics are fine, then I guess I need to learn to fly the thing :). If anyone out there has had success regularly landing the shuttle, I could use some suggestions on a good descent profile. I've tried several approaches:

1) From a 100km orbit, lower my periapsis to 45 km to be to the east of KSC. During descent, I maintained a pitch angle of 30 degrees to bleed off speed. Once I get near about Mach 4, I start pitching the nose down more towards the horizon to stop horizontal speed bleed off (usually near the mountains west of KSC) to hopefully glide in the rest of the way, but once I get about Mach 1.5-2, is when the shuttle rapidly loses horizontal speed and I start dropping out of the sky. Also, using TAC fuel balancer, I tried dumping my remaining monoprop to various amounts to see if that helped any, but I noticed no change in reentry.

2) I found this video on Youtube:

(warning, audio is loud). Not conventional compared to the real thing, but it worked for that person so I figured I'd try it. Well, since the reentry is steep, my shuttle just goes *poof* due to heating. Tried mimicking it exactly, but it doesn't work for me (person may be using lower heating setting). Edit: watching again, they are using an older version of CSS since their shuttle isn't one part.

By the way, my physics settings are all stock settings, except I lowered the conduction factor per Starwaster to alleviate random part overheating, so my aero should be working as expected. No DRE and no FAR installed. Anyways, any suggestion would be appreciated!

What I can do is make a patch which modifies drag and lift a bit and see if it improves it

Mike i love u mate really ....in awesome job u doing here .. cant wait till iss ready .. my dream is coming true cause of u..>)

come on ISS complete .. with this shuttle oh my god

Well thank you. I am working when I can to get the shuttle and the ISS working for 1.0.4 and try to make it better also.

Just a bit more work with the docking for the iss and it should all work.

I put the canadarm2 together better than the shuttle one so it should be easier to make and use hopefully.

It will have a grabber config or a magnet one for those who use KIS or KAS whatever the mod was.

The rail system makes it so much more fun.

Also I added effects to the module engines because they were not working and fixed up the rcs a bit

- - - Updated - - -

1st i'm missing the ruder..

2nd i cant load the space shuttle from VAB as there is a lot of missing things ..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96035968/KSP%202015-07-27%2023-14-06-87.jpg

any help??

Aldo the tail control surface should be in the aero section with the wing ones.

Check you have latest version of mod

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there.

make sure you have firespitter mod installed.

I included a small file size version with the mod.

This controls some of the animations.

Also if you dont want firespitter I can change it for you so it doesnt need it

- - - Updated - - -

Too many distractions have slowed me down recently I appologise. Trying to get back into it...

iss pack now comes wih more protons!

(added proton rocket)

- - - Updated - - -

HERE is a fix for the tail texture not showing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gcklay0648rvoy/TailFix.zip?dl=0

this fix also:

sets shuttle radiators ON by default,

sets SILTS pod OFF by default

fixes enterprise aerodynamics to match orbiter

this contains 3 files.

follow the file structure and place them in the same directory in your ksp install.

(overwrite if asked)

this will be included in the net update also

Hmmmmmm

Im sorry guys but according to a youtube video the space station is a hoax and infact earth orbits are fake.

So therefore I must remove the shuttle and the iss mod.

Lol im kidding.

But seriously who makes such laughable videos like this. Crazy.

I installed firespitter and it did open up options for part variants but still no option for open and closing the cargo bay doors. Can i try anything else?

sorry I missed your post.

this is unusual to me.

what version did you download?

so with the iss I am doing it in chronological order. and will upload as such I think.

so proton and zarya are first up

these needed redoing config wise

http://i.imgur.com/2X7DNAo.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/IIpoOCM.png

of corse there is this 91mb version I can configure here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76241-8K82K-aka-PROTON-(OLDD-in-USSR)-v-0-5-(12-05-14)

In gonna use raidernicks proton. It's the best blend between high fidelity and low memory footprint. Denny's is beautiful but it's buggy now, the attachment nodes are probably screwed and it's not DDS and bobcats Proton was never his best model. A very functional rocket bobcats but asthetically.....no.

Hey Mike, will this pic help any? I'm not that good at explaining in words, but here you can see for yourself and maybe see something i dont;

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://s30.postimg.org/wd5xhuuq5/space_shuttle_hmm.jpg' alt='space_shuttle_hmm.jpg'>

Hmmmmmm

Im sorry guys but according to a youtube video the space station is a hoax and infact earth orbits are fake.

So therefore I must remove the shuttle and the iss mod.

Lol im kidding.

But seriously who makes such laughable videos like this. Crazy.

AHA! I knew it! My fellow conspirators were right all along! This changes everything. I'm onto you NASA:huh:

Seriously I cant stand those kinds of videos lol.

Hey Mike, will this pic help any? I'm not that good at explaining in words, but here you can see for yourself and maybe see something i dont;

a>

I will have to guess you are trying to play ksp with realism overhaul using mod v1.7.3.1

Your system is windows and you have ksp 1.0.4?

And you have re entered the vab...

And it has shrunk?

Any info is helpfull

It seems ksp dont like rescale factor again. It did for a while.

This means doing the ro configs differently.

I will have to guess you are trying to play ksp with realism overhaul using mod v1.7.3.1

Your system is windows and you have ksp 1.0.4?

And you have re entered the vab...

And it has shrunk?

Any info is helpfull

It seems ksp dont like rescale factor again. It did for a while.

This means doing the ro configs differently.

I have been hard coding the iss parts fot proper rescaling do this wont happen.

Will try to do same with shuttle mod.

So many nodes to recalculate lol

- - - Updated - - -

a>

Or was this because you loaded a craft file made for stock ksp and so it doesnt work properly for RO?

Let me know if you can.

Just figuring things out

- - - Updated - - -

AHA! I knew it! My fellow conspirators were right all along! This changes everything. I'm onto you NASA:huh:

Seriously I cant stand those kinds of videos lol.

What about the moon is a hologram documentary? Lol

I have been hard coding the iss parts fot proper rescaling do this wont happen.

Will try to do same with shuttle mod.

So many nodes to recalculate lol

- - - Updated - - -

Or was this because you loaded a craft file made for stock ksp and so it doesnt work properly for RO?

Let me know if you can.

Just figuring things out

Correct, RSS/RO with 1.7.3.1, Windows 7 and KSP 1.0.4

This happens when I try to load the craft in RO.

It works like a charm when i disable RO and delete the patch file, though I have some issues (Stock + Shuttle) with the external tank getting overheated and burning up prematurely. (Maybe I've missed some heat dissipating option?)

I get the weird scaling and node issue when trying with the patch and RSS/RO. (Don't know if it shows in the pic, but the external tank attaches "backwards" so to speak)

Thanks for the quick replies! /Avskum

Edited by Avskum

Correct, RSS/RO with 1.7.3.1, Windows 7 and KSP 1.0.4

This happens when I try to load the craft in RO.

It works like a charm when i disable RO and delete the patch file, though I have some issues (Stock + Shuttle) with the external tank getting overheated and burning up prematurely. (Maybe I've missed some heat dissipating option?)

I get the weird scaling and node issue when trying with the patch and RSS/RO. (Don't know if it shows in the pic, but the external tank attaches "backwards" so to speak)

Thanks for the quick replies! /Avskum

you will need to make a new saved craft overwrite your current.

the craft file you have is old and incompatible with RO

you will need to make a new saved craft overwrite your current.

the craft file you have is old and incompatible with RO

I've only tried LOADING the stock (The saved one you provide with the install), didn't try loading the one i built since I didn't get the tank to attach properly.

I'll try again when I get home from work, maybe make a clean install.

Do you have any clue what the heat problem I have for the external tank in KSP stock might be caused by?

Edited by Avskum