The tiniest plane I could manage

So I decided to try and see just how small I could make an aeroplane, this spawned out of my determination to build a plane with no wings (only winglets) using only parts from the first 3 tiers of the tech tree, and evolved over the space of my new Science save into this:

tumblr_nordhn8e8H1uwrx6xo1_1280.png

tumblr_nordhn8e8H1uwrx6xo5_1280.png

I call it the SSR Pigmy-1.

it is 15 parts, 3.9tons and 3.4m x 4.3m x 4m

I'm still pretty early on in this save, also haven't dipped into using the mods I have for this yet, I plan to make smaller better crafts as time goes on!

If anyone else has done similar things please post them I'd love to see!

Tried to make it better, discovered that you can surface attach the basic fins to each other, made a tri-plane,it is 3.2m x 3.7m x 4m, 3.8tons although significantly more parts due to the wings being multiple parts joined (now 33 parts). only modded part is the KW rocketry fuel tank (which i thought was smaller than the stock one but since the length of both craft is 4m i guess it isnt)

I really don't know what I can do to make it smaller short of making some of my own parts specifically for the purpose (tempting) but I feel that might be a bit cheaty unless I really put work into balancing them well into the game, we shall see, got other projects at the moment anyway so that'll probably have to wait.

tumblr_norfija5MO1uwrx6xo1_1280.png

tumblr_norfija5MO1uwrx6xo2_1280.pngtumblr_norfija5MO1uwrx6xo4_1280.pngtumblr_norfija5MO1uwrx6xo3_1280.png

I really want to see if people can make anything smaller! show me what you can come up with!

ah really? I was looking for one earlier but couldn't find it! will have another search now

think I've reached the smallest I can go, decided to allow myself wings and have reached the teeniest little thing that actually flies incredibly well:

tumblr_norrniDIPG1uwrx6xo2_1280.pngtumblr_norrniDIPG1uwrx6xo1_1280.png

You can go smaller if you scrap the cokpit and use an external seat.

yeah I'm gunna do that next, the aim for this though was to make a viable craft that actually looked like a plane, wanted to avoid the command seat at all costs, going to enter this into the challenge and then do a serious actually trying to get a lotta points entry afterwards with a command seat.

I love them all! and don't worry about it, I wanted people to post their tiny creations!

that command seat plane is SO SMALL, since I'm making mine for the challenge and the most points seem to be scored for distance travelled mine isnt that tiny:

tumblr_norwv83wtX1uq3fjjo4_r1_1280.png

still smaller than any of my others, and should have a whole lot more range, really enjoying making tiny planes though will have to attempt an "as small as possible" type thing later

really enjoying making tiny planes though will have to attempt an "as small as possible" type thing later

If you don't mind using mods may I recommend "TweekScale" which lets you scale up/down the stock (or modded) parts so that you can get much more variety in the designs of smaller craft. If you scale down the engines then the power delivery is automatically scaled down too, as is the capacity of fuel tanks etc. I've only recently tried it but it's been a revelation so far...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112693

Here's a Mini A-10 I made by reducing the size if the engines and intakes, parts look a little different as I am also using "Ven's Stock Revamp" on this build...

XuG5k4Y.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.