Which do you think will go higher THIS TIME?

DarkGravity

Which will go higher: Inline or Offset?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which will go higher: Inline or Offset?

• Inline
    • Offset
    • Same (less than 5% diff)

Two rockets, nearly identical. Given enough fuel to reach about 25km. (same amount for both). The lower stage is IN-LINE in one, and OFFSET in the other. Which will go higher?

Z76fSSs.jpg

AXFke5N.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'll wait for a few replies before posting the results of the test.

Not sure I follow. What I'm hearing seems self-contradictory. Are you saying that in the Inline model, the lower stage <edit> IS ignored, but in the offset model, (since it isn't "behind other parts") it will add to drag? If so, then it matters, yes? Maybe I misunderstood you.

It doesn't matter either way. The game engine does not recognize parts behind other parts for drag occlusion. It only applies for parts obstructing engine thrust.

wait what? I thought the new aero was smarter than that?

THE OFFICIAL RESULT: Inline was better by 4% which was within the error of this little test. (n=2) This could be interpreted to mean that if given a choice, the offset offers no advantage. I will point out however that the offset version is slightly shorter than the inline version.

It doesn't matter either way. The game engine does not recognize parts behind other parts for drag occlusion. It only applies for parts obstructing engine thrust.
I think that it is not true. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/119108-Overhauls-for-1-0

Edit:Sorry i did not understand your statement at first. My bad. Game indeed does not recognize this if parts are simply behind something with space between.

Edited by Cebi

wait what? I thought the new aero was smarter than that?

The game only recognizes nosecones when they are attached to attachment points. If they are not placed on attachment points, they are considered radially mounted and will induce drag.

I've made a thread about it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122574-Radial-mounted-parts-on-atmospheric-flight-performance

The game only recognizes nosecones when they are attached to attachment points.

I assume you mean the top (maybe bottom) central axis attachment point, yes? Because all my nose cones were attached to attachments points as I understand the concept. Bright small green sphere saying "attach here!" Only one was on the central axis, though.

If they are not placed on attachment points, they are considered radially mounted and will induce drag.

So if the nose cone is placed on the central axis, it doesn't induce drag? I don't think I'm hearing the concepts you're trying to convey.

Edited by DarkGravity

All parts have some drag, and the only two things affecting the drag are:

-Parts directly connected to it using nodes (radial attachment doesnt count)

-Full containment (cargo bays, fairings, and other built in containers)

So when determining the drag a part creates, you can ignore all other parts except ones directly connected through nodes, and containers.

(as far as I know)

For the connected parts, it probably just ignores drag for the surfaces covered by attached parts, so when you add a nosecone, what you are doing is trying to completely remove drag from the surface you attach it to (and assume the nosecone itself has less drag, resulting in net win)

I dont know specifics when it comes to partial coverage - maybe the game knows the exact area of all attachment surfaces and calculates drag from the noncovered area, or maybe it just applies full drag, or maybe it has some nonsensical system that has nothing to do reality and just happens to give somewhat correct results...

Edited by Waterlimon

So when determining the drag a part creates, you can ignore all other parts except ones directly connected through nodes, and containers.

So if you connect 2 battery packs to the top of a MK1 command pod, it doesn't matter if you apply them in line or on opposite sides? That doesn't sound right. I always put the second one right below the first one, so it can let the first one block the air.

Can you try removing the bottom nosecones from the top radials and the top nosecones from the bottom radials, put decouplers on the top radials and attach the bottom radials to that? I think that would reduce the drag.

I assume you mean the top (maybe bottom) central axis attachment point, yes? Because all my nose cones were attached to attachments points as I understand the concept. Bright small green sphere saying "attach here!" Only one was on the central axis, though.

So if the nose cone is placed on the central axis, it doesn't induce drag? I don't think I'm hearing the concepts you're trying to convey.

The nosecones reduce drag when they are attached to an attachment node of a stack.

When you start adding rockets to the sides, they have their own drag calculations because the game considers it another vessel adjacent to the original vessel.

Lets for example say that the central stack, the middle rocket has a drag value of 1 and has the drag reduced by 0.5 with a nose cone. That alone now has a drag of 0.5.

When you add 4 boosters to the side, all with their own nose cones, the drag for each of them are also added to the whole craft. The central stack (0.5) plus the other 4 stacks that are considered separate entities (0.5 x 4) which is = 2.5 units of drag as a whole. The game applies the 2.5 drag on the ship. It doesn't matter what orientation or rotation you apply to the boosters to make them look like they are behind something, they will still induce that amount of drag.

Now, if you were to instead combine all the boosters under the central stack using a 4-way adapter, the drag now becomes a total of 0.5 because they are part of the central stack joined by attachment nodes. The rocket should fly faster and higher.

I know this is completely weird and unintuitive, but that's how the game engine currently sees drag.

Now, if you were to instead combine all the boosters under the central stack using a 4-way adapter, the drag now becomes a total of 0.5 because they are part of the central stack joined by attachment nodes. The rocket should fly faster and higher.

Occlusion checking also takes the surface area into account.

I built a rocket with four stacks of a 1.25 m probe core, an FL-T800 fuel tank, and an LV-T45 engine. Then I launched vertically with SAS on, and measured the apoapsis after escaping the atmosphere.

drag_test_1.jpeg

drag_test_2.jpeg

drag_test_3.jpeg

drag_test_4.jpeg

There was no significant difference between four pointy 1.25 m nosecones and a single pointy 2.5 m nosecone. The rocket with a standard 2.5 m nosecone climbed to a lower altitude, while the rocket with an 1.25 m nosecone covering the top node of a quad-coupler faced the most drag.

2, 3, and node size then ? (and some kind of default coef applied somewhere in the code related to node size ? this or may be the rescale factor, scale thing in 3d tools related standardization when creating a part somehow messed up at some point in the calculations ? (almost everyone use value pretty close 1 to 1,25 most often but a few parts here and there got some very different rescale value, not sure anyway might worth a look)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Pretty sizeable differences in final AP. Maybe even significant. Interesting data, to be sure. If you do any more tests, maybe get rid of half of the fuel or more, so the test spends a larger % of its time in atmosphere.

As for my rocket, I have nosecones on the underside of the upper stage stacks based on data from someone else's very recent thread. He found big changes in drag when the trailing surfaces where smoothed.

- - - Updated - - -

Care to guess which (if either) of these two did better?

xPK7N4k.png

KcCF038.png

Answer: no difference at all. Less than 0.1% anyway. However, if I stood the batteries on end (to maximize air braking), that did decrease max altitude.

Edited by DarkGravity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.