Super sized aeroplanes

The objective of this challenge will be for a competition for 4 category's, which are the following:

- Range

- Weight

- Size

- Transport capacity(optional)

You can enter into just one of them, or all 4.

The points are gained in the following fashion,

Range:

+1 for each Kilometre you flew before running out of fuel

+1 for each Kilometre(1000 metres) of altitude you can achieve before engines begin flaming out.

+10 for each circumnavigation of the planet(Kerbin), Polar or along the equator.

Weight:

+1 for each 0.1 of mass

+10 for a mass of over 20 tons

+15 for a mass over 50 tons

+20 for a mass over 100 tons

+10 if your cargo weights over 10 tons

Size:

+1 for each 0.1 in height

+1 for each 0.5 in width or length

+5 if its over 9 metres tall, and 25 metres long and wide

+50 if your plane is taller than it is wide(weird plane award)

Transport Capacity:

+1 for each 0.1 mass of the cargo

+5 if you can detach the cargo in the air without it self destructing

+5 If the cargo lands unharmed

There will also be a few bonus ways to acquire points

Old Fashioned - Use propeller engines(+10)

Gotta go fast! - Go over the speed of sound(+15)

Kerbal style - Land your plane backwards(+50)

Long range - Your plane can refuel in flight (+25)

Where'd the air go? - You went sub orbital(No rapiers or rockets though)(+20)

Efficient - Use just 2 engines(+10)

Partying - Have a capacity of Kerbels over 50(+25)

Low budget - Land on the Island Airstrip at some point(+10)

Penalities -

How to land for dummies - When landing, end up crashing the plane(-50)

Whats going on here? - Your plane loses some parts in the air that are not intentionally lost (like drop tanks)(-25)

The camera is dirty - Your plane is a drone(no kerbals) on board (-25)

There will also be a set of rules, they are the following:

No infiniglide

Pictures or a video will be required for proof.

Pictures can be taken in hanger, or in flight to prove the weight of a plane and its size, however, there must be a picture of it flying.

If you crash the plane and awaken the Kraken, it is only your own fault.

No use of the debug console(Infinite fuel, unbreakable joints, etc)

The use of drop tanks is permitted, but they do not count as cargo capacity, and so cannot be counted open in that way.

The mods that will not be allowed is anything that will generally add unbalanced parts, as well as no mods like Hyper edit.

There will be a stock and modded score board, and there will be five separate scoreboards, with 4 for the specialized category's and one for the best overall plane.

Best overall Stock

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

Best range Stock

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

Best weight Stock

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

Best size stock

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

Best cargo capacity stock

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

Best overall Modded

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

Best range Modded

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

Best weight Modded

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

Best size Modded

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

Best cargo capacity Modded

1 -

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

Good luck to anyone who takes up this challenge :cool:

Edited by toxictalon74
Repetition of one of the points.

To me it seems that the part where you have to complete the challenge yourself is just to show that the challenge is possible. This challenge is to build a plane, which is already completely possible. The one thing he could do differently , in my opinion, is better define which mods can be used, as the modded category could be exploited with entries using mods adding unfair and unrealistic parts. Just my 2 cents

Thank you for the suggestions, and I do have my own entry, I will refine the rules about mods soon as well, though as it should go, generally unbalanced parts as well as mods like Hyperedit are certainly not allowed.

As for my own submission, I will be uploading a video of it later today, if anyone wants to put their own in before then, they can do so.

this is going to be fun :D (I've done this before but never with a huge plane)

one thing, is Kerbal Joint Reinforcement allowed? and if so would the plane then end up in the modded section even if it is built with stock parts?

the one thing that does need defining is which mods are allowed and where they will leave the entrant, other than that this scoring system looks nice and interesting!

hahahaha this is going to be hard if KJR isn't allowed, all I can really say about it is "needs more struts"

Edited by Squiggsy

this is going to be fun :D (I've done this before but never with a huge plane)

one thing, is Kerbal Joint Reinforcement allowed? and if so would the plane then end up in the modded section even if it is built with stock parts?

the one thing that does need defining is which mods are allowed and where they will leave the entrant, other than that this scoring system looks nice and interesting!

hahahaha this is going to be hard if KJR isn't allowed, all I can really say about it is "needs more struts"

I've never used KJR, though I understand it in general, I believe its allowed, I will be letting the community of whoever tries to do this challenge, to choose what mods are unfair, though if it is blatantly obvious I will ban it very quickly.

I've never used KJR, though I understand it in general, I believe its allowed, I will be letting the community of whoever tries to do this challenge, to choose what mods are unfair, though if it is blatantly obvious I will ban it very quickly.

I'm actually doing ok without it at the moment, the thing surprisingly holds together pretty well considering it weighs over 500T and is powered by 28 turboramjets.

I'm going to test and improve it a whole lot before i actually submit my entry though, it still has some little... quirks, that need sorting out :P (like the fact that it gets to mach 2 and explodes dramatially)

Edited by Squiggsy

I'm actually doing ok without it at the moment, the thing surprisingly holds together pretty well considering it weighs over 500T and is powered by 28 turboramjets.

I'm going to test and improve it a whole lot before i actually submit my entry though, it still has some little... quirks, that need sorting out :P

28 Turbos? Woah, well, I got a 12 engined 94.4t Prop plane, which is what was gonna be my original entrance, but I guess I gotta go further now, will most likely begin updating the scoreboards on Monday as well.

But for now, heres a quick video of my original entry, which weighed in at 94.4 tons, is 36.5m wide, 27.7m wide and 9.4m tall. I'll be working out the points later, and possibly redoing the system due to this weight apparantly = 944 points alone(alot compared to the bonuses...)

Will not be doing the range test, nor do I believe it can carry much, since it struggles a bit anyway in most cases with its current weight.

I did intially plan to do a video, but apparantly theres a runtime issue with KSP and my recording software,etc. I have no idea how to solve it, so heres some pictures instead.

Vrak 156-B on the runway 094A27AD795C9C375BE174AFEB5683CC18711146

And here is it in the air http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/29616984105187813/5964DE6AEB8B69BD7654319BB770D1751E366E2F/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:640&composite-to=*,*|1024:640&background-color=black

I'll update this post in a bit with my craft, just managed to land it (first try!) but i rolled off the end of the runway, somehow it kept its balance better than I ever would have thought and none of the 52 kerbals inside were harmed!

EDIT: here it is!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I call it the LNG-C4T

LNG-C4T is long

70.2 meters long in fact

ok so the specs:

Weight: 586.5T

Height: 11.6m

Length: 70.2m

Width: 40.1m

Holds 52 Kerbals

has 26 Turbo Ramjets

holds 81,440 liquid fuel

I didn't give it a cargo hold although I probably could have, I decided I would just go for pure weight rather than carrying capacity.

so onto the scores:

weight = 5865 points

height = 116

length = 140

width = 80.2 (call it 80)

over 9 metres tall, and 25 metres long and wide = 5

Holds over 50 kerbals = 25

Distance travelled = 17

Height gained = 5 (ok so 4976 i think thats close enough :P)

Total = 6253

Edited by Squiggsy

I'd suggest a different scoring:

Range:

+1 for each Kilometre you flew before running out of fuel (okay)

+100 for each Kilometre(1000 metres) of altitude you can achieve before engines begin flaming out. (since it needs to be in balance with the distance)

+1000 for each circumnavigation of the planet(Kerbin), Polar or along the equator. (since kerbin has a radius of 600, a circumnavigation brings 3769 points, 10 extra points for a circumnavigation are pretty useless)

Weight:

+1 for each 0.1 of mass (okay)

+20 for a mass of over 20 tons (at 20 tons, you already gained 200 points, 10 extra is a bit low)

+30 for a mass over 50 tons (same here)

+40 for a mass for every 100 tons of mass (for taking into account that people build big planes)

+50 for every FULL ore container as cargo. (everyone has an ore container in 1.0.2)

Size:

+1 for each 0.1 in height

+1 for each 0.5 in width or length

+5 if its over 9 metres tall, and 25 metres long and wide

Transport Capacity:

+1 for each 0.1 mass of the cargo

+5 if you can detach the cargo in the air without it self destructing

+5 If the cargo lands unharmed

There will also be a few bonus ways to acquire points (which I would account as multiplicators, since those achievements also depend on the size of the craft)

Old Fashioned - Use propeller engines(x1.1) (nice, but if you mean the firespitter propeller, keep in mind, that they run on electricity and therefor probably can stay infinitely in air)

Gotta go fast! - Go over the speed of sound(x1.15)

Kerbal style - Land your plane backwards(x2)

Long range - Your plane can refuel in flight (x2) (landing backwards is hard)

Where'd the air go? - You went sub orbital(No rapiers or rockets though)(x1.3)

Efficient - Use just 2 engines(x1.1)

Partying - Have a capacity of Kerbels over 50(x3)

Low budget - Land on the Island Airstrip at some point(x1.2)

extra achievements:

Something can go wrong - Have kerbal rescue capability built in (droppods or so) (x(1.2 +0.02 per additional kerbal) 4 kerbals would bei x1.28)

Helicopter-like - Build a vertical takeof capable plane (x1.2)

Refuel anywhere - Have a refinery and drills on board, cargo-orecontainers need to be locked - (x2)

and as rules:

no rocket motors, no orbits, rapiers only in air-breathing mode, no ion engines. otherwise people build a spaceplane and go on a high orbit around kerbin --> infinite points.

Edited by Hotblack Desiato

I have an aircraft I'd like to submit as soon as I have time. I can't guarantee it will be tonight, but sometime soon. It's a craft I made simply on a whim, all stock, and based in appearance and function on a real plane. It wasn't built with sheer tonnage in mind but it is very large and has some very nice qualities and capabilities to it; I'm quite proud of it and sunk a lot of time into it. Your challenge is the only one I've seen that it would fit well into so I'm glad for a chance to share it with everyone :)

Here is my all stock submission for the weight category.

549.9t / 0.1 = 5499 points

+10 for over 20t

+15 for over 50t

+20 for mass over 100t

+25 for kerbal capacity over 50

-50 how to land for dummies (I didn't even try landing)

Total = 5519 points (if the weight bonuses don't stack, then it is 5494)

Here is the craft file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-2oEtVCzKyYWUlxbHliSTVWd0k/view?usp=sharing

And a video:

• 2 weeks later...
As per the challenge submission guidelines your own entry to your challenge must be submitted with your challenge. You might also want to refine much of the rules and guidelines of the challenge as they could easily be misinterpreted and the challenge may be exploited

You have done this before and I corrected you before on it. Nowhere does it say that you have to submit your own craft for a challenge. This is what it says: "So test your challenge yourself first to make sure it is possible, you don't have to be successful but you'll soon know if the challenge has a hope of being completed."

All it says is test it yourself. It doesn't say you must submit your own design and it doesn't actually even say that your craft that you tested with it has to pass the test. Please stop posting false information on people's threads.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my updated entry for the stock weight category. I call it "Wumbo 2". It weighs 1754.3 tons, is 14.9m tall, 38.6m wide, and 81.5m long. It has a carrying capacity of 1968 kerbals! :0.0:

1754.3t/0.1=17543 points

+10 for over 20t

+15 for over 50t

+20 for mass over 100t

+25 for kerbal capacity over 50

-50 how to land for dummies (I didn't even try landing)

Total = 17563 points

Here it is in the hangar:

t0i2SLsl.png

And here is a video proving that it flies:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.