Career SSTO's

I've tried building a few SSTO's in career I've jumped forward to unlock the turbo jets and have a few parts mods installed but struggling to get them into orbit, its either my TWR is below 1 so i cant break the sound barrier and keep accelerating or i don't have enough delta v.

I can go much smaller but then i don't have any cargo or passenger capacity.

In the end i mashed to two together and jammed on a launch stage from the runway ( because i least i got some from the runway to space and its a plane but i used a rocket, so almost there.)

Anybody got any pics of not massive but smallish with a either a passenger or cargo capability.

This was my passenger.

ZsQc5X9.jpg

And here's the mash up of the cargo and passenger attached to a very early weedy KSS, destined never to climb out of Kerbal's atmosphere on it own power. Does make a good looking SOI runaround though.

OEyCWyY.png

There is a few things that changed with 1.0:

Air breathing engines lose thrust at a certain altitude, even if you have enough intake air. So spamming intakes is no longer useful.

That also means that you need to use your rocket engines earlier and need to bring more oxidizer.

Too many wings will induce a lot of drag. From what I read in the Squadcast Summary, there is a bug with part occlusion that generates more drag then intended. Don't know if that applies to wings. From what I see in the screenshots, you don't have too many wings though. (I think)

If you have trouble breaking the soundbarrier, do the following. Climb to a high altitude, gain as much speed as you can, then go into a light dive to gain more speed. That way you can breach th sound barrier without additional engine power. When you reach mach 1.2, drag will decrease again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.