Hangs/Spins/Crashes

Is anyone else getting as many hangs (colour spin wheels on Mac) as me? I'm literally getting them every 30 mins and it's depressing. I also keep seeing patches downloading every time on the launcher and I'm not sure what those are actually doing to help. I'm not that experienced with the game and don't really know what to think of these things. I'm not one to spam quicksave so I keep losing so much progress :(

PS thanks for moving the thread whoever you were

Edited by MathmoRichard

Silly idea, but have you tried turning the heat gauge overlay off before each launch? F10 to do so. They have a known bug that leaks memory like crazy when they appear.

There are mods that disable the heat gauges by default, some of which apply their own heat warning. If turning the overlays off stops you from crashing, you might want to try one until Squad patch the leak.

I, erm, might have a link to one of my own in my signature. </plug>

Happened again, actually as above. This time I've grabbed the log:

[CurrencyConverter for Patents Licensing]: 0 Science taken, yields 0 Funds

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Packing Demeter 1A for orbit

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Unpacking Demeter 1A

KSP(1048,0xb04a1000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=266240) failed (error code=3)

*** error: can't allocate region

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

KSP(1048,0xb04a1000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=266240) failed (error code=3)

*** error: can't allocate region

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

I'm not particularly familiar with MacOS, but that's a memory allocation failure. You're probably running out of 32bit addressable memory.

The next question would be why...

I'm not particularly familiar with MacOS, but that's a memory allocation failure. You're probably running out of 32bit addressable memory.

The next question would be why...

How could I run out of 32bit addressable memory? I have loads of RAM. Next time it happens I'll look at my memory situation.

How could I run out of 32bit addressable memory? I have loads of RAM.

Because KSP on MacOS is 32bit, and 32bit applications can only address ~3GB of RAM regardless of how much physical memory you have installed.

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/3869

Not sure how much help it is, but it could be worth adding another upvote to that tracker issue, if this is the same problem.

Sadly that's not it. This only happens during gameplay, and often. It actually usually happens when the game tries to load one of the top right menus on mouse hover.

Edited by MathmoRichard

try using cleanmymac2 or 3 to clean all of your cache and other broken stuff.

yes cleanmymac costs money but it's really worth it so you can see if it will help!

also the active texture management mod reduces the amount of ram used by the game so that could help as well.

Edited by Roderik

I won't do that, I'm just too paranoid about other programs messing with my computer. I know it might sound stupid but it's just the way I am.

What I'd be happy with is reinstalling etc. Can anyone advise me on the benefits and how to preserve the saved data (unless the saves could possibly be the problem) please? :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.