Nurflugel Ho 229

A subsonic, low drag fighter bomber with long range capability, in real life this aircraft was predicted to be able to carry 1000kg of bombs, anti bomber rockets, and 2 30mm cannons

MlM4KnI.png

5wg6KiJ.png

cvsh9qM.png

Notes: It's not very maneuverable on a full fuel load due to weight distribution, it's best to move fuel out of the wings first since moving the COM too far back will result in KSP thinking that the elevators are mounted in front of the centre of mass. SAS is necessary, due to the limitations of KSP with regards to flying wings. Knife edge manoeuvres are recoverable but ungainly due to not having a fuselage/tail

http://www./download/81qr0lkglt0cbdi/Horten_Ho_229.craft

Stats:

cruise speed: 788kph / 218m/s

takeoff speed: 216kph / 60m/s

max altitude: 11,000m

Edited by Halsfury

Big wings are necessary for heat dissipation... at 3650kph

Th7kfPy.png

- - - Updated - - -

Well...

Bang and Bang

Now the Amerika bomber is impressive but imho I don't like how Andrew's 229 has those intakes stuck in the wing, also I have flown it and the F4 menu continually tells me that the engines are damaging the parts behind them.

I made my version because I'm a perfectionist and wanted to build a replica with all the cool angles and the asymmetry of having the engines mounted through the upper wing

Big wings are necessary for heat dissipation... at 3650kph

http://i.imgur.com/Th7kfPy.png

- - - Updated - - -

Now the Amerika bomber is impressive but imho I don't like how Andrew's 229 has those intakes stuck in the wing, also I have flown it and the F4 menu continually tells me that the engines are damaging the parts behind them.

I made my version because I'm a perfectionist and wanted to build a replica with all the cool angles and the asymmetry of having the engines mounted through the upper wing

Hmmm, you do make a valid point... :D

I can not prove that I was the first, in fact I do not know (and actually it is not important), but none seem to claim to have achieved a plane without vertical stabilizer (hidden or wide angle wings do no count, RCS or reaction wheels banned too:mad:) and a real drag rudder, which I did :cool:.

But all other versions are very good, great work people.

It seems that with the release of 1.0, KSP starts work much better, because these functional and cool but with few parts replicas show a much more refined game.

Bprinthorten229.jpg

I can not prove that I was the first, in fact I do not know (and actually it is not important), but none seem to claim to have achieved a plane without vertical stabilizer (hidden or wide angle wings do no count, RCS or reaction wheels banned too:mad:) and a real drag rudder, which I did :cool:.

But all other versions are very good, great work people.

It seems that with the release of 1.0, KSP starts work much better, because these functional and cool but with few parts replicas show a much more refined game.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kUoOIz1XSlo/VUj9Od1CluI/AAAAAAAABTY/UTkZ7DyYNfc/w1280-h720-no/Bprinthorten229.jpg

Nope I beat you to it by 8 days as said by video :P. Still looks good though. TOO MANY HORTEN HO 229 ON THESE FORUMS.

I made some compromises to make my Ho-229 as simple as possible. However, the real Ho-229 had the intakes in line with the wing, so I find that burying it in the wings is more accurate.

Also, damaging the parts behind it doesn't matter as long as it lasts for the duration of the flight. And I fixed that issue with the Amerika Bomber.

+++ghostbuzzer7

I do not know... I'm super slow to record the videos, then edit and upload, besides my videos spaced about one week between them XD but there was no prize for the first right? XD

Regarding the overpopulation of Ho-229 is normal now the game has some aerodynamic models that allow and also force us to be more realistic, somehow the Ho-229 is the holy grail of aircraft design in KSP, because it is different and hard to do but awesome.

+++andrew123

About that, we all face the limitations of KSP differently, that makes our achievements more valuables.

Make an airplane 100% realistic 1:1 actually end in a plane that can not fly in KSP, the angle of the wings on many planes are inclined to always produce lift do that in the game is synonymous to "revert to spaceplane hangar" only to put the wings flat again XD.

It has always stoned me the ability of some to make airplanes stock that are more realistic than the versions with mods, that Amerika bomber is perfect, smooth and very detailed... unbelievable:wink:

Well I only wish that there were more flying wings in real life Carcharoth

This site has a lot of cool concepts though, maybe I'll build another concept plane

http://www.luft46.com

what about the Fw Super Lorin? I'm not even sure kerbals are crazy enough to fly it

3bfsuplr.jpg

Actually perhaps this version is more practical, it's ramjet powered with rocket assisted takeoff

3bfta283.jpg

Edited by Halsfury

this is safe, I assure you... comes with a rocket kick to get you up to the 80m/s necessary for a ramjet to start

iQu0NOq.png

EDIT:

I fixed the problem where the controls lock up and the plane nose dives at 300m/s, now it is much better

Edited by Halsfury

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.