Who is boss enough as Jeb Kerman?

polan

I had Gilkin Kerman.

1. He ran out of fuel on a trip to Jool
  2. Got stuck in a polar orbit around the gas giant
  3. Used RCS to twitch into a very odd collision with Laythe
  4. Slammed into the atmosphere fast enough that half the space-plane's struts broke
  5. Coasted through the seas to an island with half the ship flapping like a hyperactive seagull
  6. Exploded the plane over the beach
  7. Dropped the rover safely to Laythe
  8. Finally stopped panicking.

Meh, I'm not on board with the Jeb hype.

He's better than Bob (always looking like he's got brain damage).... and Bill often looks scared... but... ok...

I suppose the most impressive feats are the suicide burns done very low, the shallow approaches just barely clearing terrain, setting down/getting an aerobraking perapsis just as one runs out of fuel... etc...

But that's all me.

If the Kerbal looks confident, concerned, blissfully ignorant... doesn't matter so much to me.

I do like when they do a little dance/celebration when things are going well (ie, I pulled of something nice).

The concerned look they have can also be fitting to the mood when I know I'm cutting it a bit tight on dV.

-By the way, do they somehow sense when they're in trouble regarding fuel?

I had a Mun station (research lab+ fuel depot), that after multiple lander refuels, had to do an emergency rendevous with an incoming ISRU payload (that neither had enough fuel left for the ISRU ship to land, or the SSTO carrying it to get back)... almost all the LF left went to the ISRU payload so it could get down to the surface, and the SSTO so it could get back.

I looked at my minmus station... they were all smiling... I looked at my mun station, which didn't even have enough LF to fully fuel the lander (with a capacity equivalent to 1x FL-T400)

- They all looked very uneasy. It set the mood: that ISRU payload needs to set down safely, it needs to go to a spot with ore (indeed, some spots have 0, and no amount of timewarp will help), or they were out of luck (err... well, actualy or I'd need to send another ship, but whatever).

If Jeb was there, laughing, it would break immersion: lol, Kerbals can just wait decades for rescue, they photosynthesize or something.

My "boss" Kerbals:

- Lola Kerman, the first to go to Pol - or at least convince Mission Control that she'd gone to Pol when really she'd just gone to the Flag Pole. (I'm aware and was glad to find this was patched in 1.0.2)

- NOT Daphjorie Kerman, the first Kerbal I've had in... probably over a year... to break the solar panels on my Minmus lander on touchdown. She got back okay, but the poor lander's still sitting there lifeless :(

- Jeanette Kerman, the perseverant Kerbal who managed to PUSH an empty lander onto the docking port on my Mun mothership.

-Space Tug Klaw Edition (okay its not a Kerbal but still) - this hardworking little bot managed to build an entire ring station by itself on only one standard RCS tank despite having to haul around unstable, unbalanced, irregularly shaped segments over five times its weight over increasingly long distances thanks to the launch vehicle lacking RCS and slowly drifting away over the four or five orbits it took to to the job.

Chadcal tried to drive a rover down a ridiculous slope on Minmus... in the name science... Against everyone's better judgment. Well he crashed it and RCS'd back to the lander. He was not to happy about it. Pretty chicken s**** if you ask me.

So then the badS scientist Kelry decided it would be a good idea not only to go back, but start from the top of the ravine in an ion powered toboggan. Not only did he succeed (with a screaming Chadcal stapped to the back) but he also flew that sucker to north Minmus pole and did some ice racing while at it.

Well that's the story behind Chadcal's Wager and Kelry's Leap.

Nelsen Kerman. Fearlessly accepted a one-way trip to Ike purely for money, where he waits in patient meditation for my Space Program to advance enough to rescue him. Team player, that guy.

I had a Kerbal named Barlock who landed rough one day on the Mun and lost a third of the ship including an engine, leg and fuel tank rigging, and still managed to fly the thing home and land safely. He was also flying the Ion ship that rescued two other Kerbals from a mishap on Dres, and then went to Eeloo before going home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.