Kerbol System to scale

Like "Red" said in The Shawshank Redemption, in prison a man will do most anything to keep his mind occupied... I'd add a free but very bored man, too.

So here it is, probably the most obnoxious wallpaper you can have, I'm already hating it with all those labels and sphere that look like icons!

PxbwIyZl.png

(click for full size version)

Edited by Rosco P. Coltrane

A really cool image! I always loved seeing comparisons between celestial bodies. As it happens, does anyone know where there's an image comparing Kerbol to other stars? I know Kerbol is impossibly small, I want to see by how much.

Excellent, excellent! I was reading on the Wiki that apparently Kerbol is too small to really be a star, something to do with its features. Interesting to see the comparison.

in the same spirit why has kerbin to be like earth in all points ... i really think it's interesting that kerbin has diffrent caracteristic than earth in term of environnement trans-position/location inherent "space travel/ing" related adaptation from the root planet ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
sentence probably ugly spelled but that the idea behind ...

So, in other words, Kerbol is in another universe... Where particles are more dense than our's. :P

This explains why Kerbin's atmosphere sometimes reacts like a Non-Newtonian fluid...

chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png
Edited by luizopiloto

Well, I thought Kerbol looked like a flea compared to the real sun... but not so much:

http://i.imgur.com/3EpSIao.png

Still small though, but then again our sun is not precisely big... https://cdn.pmylund.com/blog/content/2010/07/sun_is_a_pixel.jpg

PS. Thanks for the rep!

About the size of a larger type of M-class star. Man what wouldn't I give for "real" solar system editor in KSP

I could make stuff like a fictional Gliese 581 system (a What If or the likes).

Very mentally stimulating post! Well done! It sort of reminds me of the old "not ready for prime-time" SNL commercial for SHIMMER, the product that is both a floor wax and a desert topping, because what you have posted here, my friend, is not only a fine bit of educational information, but those would also make some damn fine bowling ball designs. You have truly given us much to consider.

Edited by DarkGravity

Radius is one dimension, volume is three dimensions. If Jool has ten times the radius, it will have a thousand times the volume. Looks about right to my eye.

We see circles. Circles have radii. Jool's radius should be exactly ten times larger than Kerbin's.

Actually I played with a spreadsheet (best with Excel, not with Google Sheets):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KuXyfouSxg0MpStoCVrJ6_PR5pPy_JbBWPJHqlTk9_o/edit?usp=sharing

Here's what I got:

smZny8t.png

Edited by cicatrix

In my picture, Jool is 1500 pixels in radius for its 6,000 km (what's seen there is less than half Jool because it was just too big, the equator is outside the picture). Kerbin is 150 pixels for its 600 km radius.

Edited by Rosco P. Coltrane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.