[WIP] Ascaron Aquanautics

Radion

Oh wow, this looks great.

You know what we need after this, guys? Submarine ROCKET LAUNCH SYSTEM 8) (I\'m serious, something like a Trident Missile would be an incredible achievement to make- but I\'m guessing that with the way water is currently it might not be plausible...)

I think that negative thrust won\'t do anything. It whould be better to use a MuMechServo to rotate engines (or overgimbal, but that could fail, I can remind a game where I had to hold my joystick rotated to control a damn symmetrical ferry ???)

Not sure what exactly engines we\'re talking about, but one of the 0.15 ones at least has a no-deathray option. By deriving a new engine class from it, adding a gui button to reverse thrust, and overriding the FixedUpdate block with a check for that button, and flipping the thrust vector 180 before passing it on to the base, you could get around the 0 thrust minimum 'feature'.

[quote name='kellven']
Not sure what exactly engines we\'re talking about, but one of the 0.15 ones at least has a no-deathray option. By deriving a new engine class from it, adding a gui button to reverse thrust, and overriding the FixedUpdate block with a check for that button, and flipping the thrust vector 180 before passing it on to the base, you could get around the 0 thrust minimum 'feature'.
[/quote]

[code
exhaustDamage = false

There, problem solved.

I love the boat idea. I saw a program on TV that mentioned using decommissioned oil rigs as launch towers,something about being able to move them into position to reduce the fuel required to get the rockets into the correct orbit (and other technical stuff). It could be very Kerbal indeed. Not sure if it fits in with what you\'re doing, but could be interesting down the track.

You\'re referring to SeaLaunch, which is, ironically, owned by RKK Energia, uses a old refurbished Alaskan Oil platform and launches Communications Satillites using Zenit 3SL Buses, and has thus far carried out quite a good number of launches with only 3 screwups to date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_launch

And the picture that was shown as a example reminds me of a WWII era Landing craft, specifically the British Landing Craft, Assault (LCA). Was this intentional?

Nice find Laz, That\'s exactly what i was rambling about. I\'d love to see something like this eventually, although i think we could do better than just 3 screwups ;)

• 2 months later...

It's been over two months since the last post in this thread, I suggest you PM Radion about this pack if you must know, I'm going to close this as it's old, Radion can reopen it if he is going to continue with this :)