Modded KSP No longer works

I've been playing KSP 1.0.2 with quite a few mods quite well, and easily too. But today my KSP won't even start up, nevertheless reach the main-menu.

I've no problem running a completely unmodded install, but any mod I've tried (including ATM) will hinder my game from loading.

I've looked through the output logs and noticed that, and I quote this directly:

"DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 1913600B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: Audio

Allocation happend at: Line:334 in

Memory overview

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 294817349B | peak: 0B | reserved: 307565574B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 112947511B | peak: 0B | reserved: 215957272B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 437384B | peak: 0B | reserved: 12582912B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 0B | peak: 0B | reserved: 0B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 230688B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B

Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 1913600B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: Audio

Allocation happend at: Line:334 in

Memory overview"

Now, I don't have the best ram. Just 3gbs. Which has not been a problem. (with the occasional crash, but that's due to large part count and/or mod part incompatibility)

But, as previously stated, the problems started today. Most of the output logs attained from the crashes are either non-comprehensive, or incomplete.

This has been a little hectic. Sorry.. Let me summarize.

KSP with mods worked real well yesterday.

Today, it no longer works.

Clean install runs fine.

The mods are all compatible with each other. Or at least don't fight.

Ram isn't an issue, and hasn't been since I've started playing back in .25.

Output logs crap for the most part.

Help appreciated. :)

You're running out of memory, did you only just install ATM before this started happening? ATM will make the game run out of memory before it is even finished loading as this is when it starts optimising the textures, and basically it's a lot of hard work for the little mod. Keep opening KSP until it can load to the title screen and it should be ok because that's when ATM has every texture already optimised into its cache.

Ram isn't an issue...

Your log output begs to differ.

Sounds like you're riding the limit, if you've updated anything that might add that final straw...

If you have only 3GB total system RAM, you're going to have contention from anything else running in the background too - an extra gig would let KSP have ~3GB to itself. Is the system paging when this happens?

I recommend at least 8GB to run KSP. 3.5 for KSP itself, the rest to keep your system stable without having to close all background applications. Web browsers are notorious memory hogs, be sure to close chrome/firefox if you've got little RAM.

I know I've got low ram. But it is not, and has not been, a problem for me since the first time I've played. (yes I got crashes. But this isn't a ram issue, as I'll reiterate. a lot.)

If this were a matter of ram, I wouldn't be here. But it's not, so here I am.

So, if we could get to the matter at hand, and not fool around with my lack of physical ram, that'd be helpful.

Now, my problem is that I can no longer run KSP with any mods, and as stated,(and tried) ATM is detrimental to the process. Actually, I just can't run KSP 1.0.2. without running into a problem. A clean install works about as well as a 100 year old man's heart does when he's running a marathon on one leg.

At the same time, I've an extra copy (for obvious or non-obvious reasons) of .90 which runs perfectly fine with the same (compatible) mods.

Now, I'll reiterate, it's NOT a ram issue, it's not a mod compatibility issue.

I don't know what my problem is. Thus why I'm here, and why I've done my best to explain what's happening.

I'll also add that 6/10 times I don't get a crash report. Of those 4 times I don't get an output log, consistently. Just the other files.

Now currently:

I've removed the squad folder and got a better performance, but the inability to load saves. (Which I expected)

I've gone through adding and removing the mods 1 by 1 and kept the ones that work. Which was a max of 2 or 3 depending on the type. (Only mods like Trajectories, DO, or NavyFish Docking port. No parts mods)

On an ATM ONLY install, I could barely get past the initializing screen. So that's out of the picture.

In the last hour, I was able to play it ONCE on a clean install. Any times after that was a log-less crash, with no change to the gamedata folder, or any thereof.

So, if you have anything about my ram issue, can it. I know my ram is low. It's not a problem. If it's anything about ATM, can it. It's detrimental. If it's about anything else, I'll be glad to hear it and attempt to use your advice.

Excuse my irritability. This has not been pleasant for me, as it would not be for anyone.

(Why mention ram so much? People. That's why.)

"Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!"

That error IS your system running out of RAM. The crash is happening when the game tries to reserve memory for the sound files, and the system doesn't have enough free to serve the request. Close ALL other applications, try to run KSP. The minimum supported system memory for KSP is 4GB (https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kspstore/index.php?p=22). Unless there's some other error in your output logs the crash is not internal to KSP, it's the OS being unable to fulfill a request for memory and killing KSP.

Why mention ram so much? People. That's why.

Because you're running out of RAM, the log output is crystal clear. That's why. If you won't listen, good luck with that.

the problems started today.
Something must have been added or changed, that led to this problem.

In typical run on my stock installation, task manager shows KSP using 2.2 - 2.5 GB. That doesn't leave much for a 'modern' OS to work with, when facing a 3GB hard limit. To have a chance at running smoothly, every non-essential process and service should be shut down. Go through task manager, the details tab, and note all the processes running under your user name. See what can be closed during your KSP time. Look through the list owned by SYSTEM for driver accessories, updaters, stuff that is only needed at specific times, and consider un-installing some of it.

I know I've got low ram. But it is not, and has not been, a problem for me since the first time I've played. (yes I got crashes. But this isn't a ram issue, as I'll reiterate. a lot.)

If this were a matter of ram, I wouldn't be here. But it's not, so here I am.

So, if we could get to the matter at hand, and not fool around with my lack of physical ram, that'd be helpful.

Now, my problem is that I can no longer run KSP with any mods, and as stated,(and tried) ATM is detrimental to the process. Actually, I just can't run KSP 1.0.2. without running into a problem. A clean install works about as well as a 100 year old man's heart does when he's running a marathon on one leg.

At the same time, I've an extra copy (for obvious or non-obvious reasons) of .90 which runs perfectly fine with the same (compatible) mods.

Now, I'll reiterate, it's NOT a ram issue, it's not a mod compatibility issue.

I don't know what my problem is. Thus why I'm here, and why I've done my best to explain what's happening.

I'll also add that 6/10 times I don't get a crash report. Of those 4 times I don't get an output log, consistently. Just the other files.

Now currently:

I've removed the squad folder and got a better performance, but the inability to load saves. (Which I expected)

I've gone through adding and removing the mods 1 by 1 and kept the ones that work. Which was a max of 2 or 3 depending on the type. (Only mods like Trajectories, DO, or NavyFish Docking port. No parts mods)

On an ATM ONLY install, I could barely get past the initializing screen. So that's out of the picture.

In the last hour, I was able to play it ONCE on a clean install. Any times after that was a log-less crash, with no change to the gamedata folder, or any thereof.

So, if you have anything about my ram issue, can it. I know my ram is low. It's not a problem. If it's anything about ATM, can it. It's detrimental. If it's about anything else, I'll be glad to hear it and attempt to use your advice.

Excuse my irritability. This has not been pleasant for me, as it would not be for anyone.

(Why mention ram so much? People. That's why.)

As we've said, ATM needs to run a few times in order to do it's job. If you installed ATM and got a crash on the first run, you need to keep trying to load the game. ATM does it's job while textures are loading. The actual compression is a RAM intensive process, so it will eat up more memory while it's chewing on new textures. Once it's had a chance to load all the textures, ATM doesn't need to use all the memory, but it might take a few loads to get through everything. After that, your low amount of RAM is going to be the only problem. As others have said, you barely have enough to run the game as is, close any other applications or look into an upgrade, otherwise you're SOL.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Here's my gripe:

You're not looking deep enough and only see the low ram.

ATM did not work. I wouldn't mention it if that weren't the case.

Why are you arguing with me on those topics? You'd never win.

On that note, I have gotten KSP to work.

:cool:

How you may ask?

Well, I don't know. I'm running the same mods as before just as well as before this event, without ATM.

In fact, I've got a planetary transfer going on in the background right now. (Well, relative to my time-period.) So ram, CPU, GPU, whatever, is not a problem. As I keep saying. (It's like talking to a wall 0_0)

As well, I'm looking into it, further, to find out the initial problem.

So, that ends this thread, I guess. do svidaniya

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.