Resizing stock fairings

Has anyone looked at how the stock fairings work in 1.0? I'd dearly love a procedural fairing suitable for a collection of different larger sizes, but I have no idea how to scale them. I can rescale the base just fine, but the fairing won't behave, and I can't see how it's done. It looks to be built purely from the module with a texture in dds format.

Has anyone looked at how the stock fairings work in 1.0? I'd dearly love a procedural fairing suitable for a collection of different larger sizes, but I have no idea how to scale them. I can rescale the base just fine, but the fairing won't behave, and I can't see how it's done. It looks to be built purely from the module with a texture in dds format.

The fairings can expand outward to accomidate wider payloads.

The problem i found is segmental flexibilty within the fairing can lead to part-part collision and failures. The issue for space station cores is that the station 6-direction hub does not allow surface attach because of the concave surfaces and discrepencies between the collision model and the visible model. This means you cannot close the fairing but well on the other side.

I am building a new size2 core with no appreciable concavities so that the lower size3 fairing can be close on a bottom flange on the hub and a second size3 fairing can be placed on top.

The other problem is that the fairings will not accept strut connectors.

To fix this problem I am going to create a thin physicsless <Size3 plate, maybe 0.1 m with very high breakin torque.

So physicswise here is the basic problem... over 250 m/s below 24000 m the wide parts will create alot of downward drag.

typically the SAS will be close to the top. Between the SAS unit and the fairin base you have on the station hub a size2 port which has weak twisting force resistence.

To solve this problem the plate goes on the fairing and the port goes upside down on the plate. The bottom half of the station and bottom half of the hub is covered by the 1st fairing, then inside the fairing will be stut connectos (from plate to hub bottom at ~ 1.4 m out). This then allows the station to have all manner of junky parts on the bottom (gigantor, batteries, sci experiments, light, etc) on karmony or storage. The top fairing will unfortunately be a vistigual part on th station since I want it to have a command capsule.

In any case, this is how I solved the fairing size limitation. The other solution is to change the docking pots, which given thier current bugs, im going to leave alone.

The fairings can expand outward to accomidate wider payloads.

The problem i found is segmental flexibilty within the fairing can lead to part-part collision and failures. The issue for space station cores is that the station 6-direction hub does not allow surface attach because of the concave surfaces and discrepencies between the collision model and the visible model. This means you cannot close the fairing but well on the other side.

I am building a new size2 core with no appreciable concavities so that the lower size3 fairing can be close on a bottom flange on the hub and a second size3 fairing can be placed on top.

The other problem is that the fairings will not accept strut connectors.

To fix this problem I am going to create a thin physicsless <Size3 plate, maybe 0.1 m with very high breakin torque.

So physicswise here is the basic problem... over 250 m/s below 24000 m the wide parts will create alot of downward drag.

typically the SAS will be close to the top. Between the SAS unit and the fairin base you have on the station hub a size2 port which has weak twisting force resistence.

To solve this problem the plate goes on the fairing and the port goes upside down on the plate. The bottom half of the station and bottom half of the hub is covered by the 1st fairing, then inside the fairing will be stut connectos (from plate to hub bottom at ~ 1.4 m out). This then allows the station to have all manner of junky parts on the bottom (gigantor, batteries, sci experiments, light, etc) on karmony or storage. The top fairing will unfortunately be a vistigual part on th station since I want it to have a command capsule.

In any case, this is how I solved the fairing size limitation. The other solution is to change the docking pots, which given thier current bugs, im going to leave alone.

They don't expand enough, and the bases aren't the right size. I'm not asking about this for one or two bits that are wider than normal. That's what the stock fairings are for after all. I'm talking 18m diameter etc.

When you mess with the fairing sizes, they go to hell. I suspect if I had an idea of how the module works, I could just tweak with cfg files. I was hoping someone had worked that out.

Its possible. I made a 5m-base fairing for Novapunch. Here's the config:

PART
{
name = NP_fairingSize4
module = Part
author = HarvesteR

MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Aero/fairings/fairingSize3
scale = 1.333, 1.333, 1.333
}
rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.29, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.26, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.3, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, deploy
sound_vent_large = deploy

TechRequired = experimentalAerodynamics
entryCost = 19200
cost = 900
category = Aero
subcategory = 0
title = Sluggo Delta Protective Shell (5m)
manufacturer = SlugCo Inc
description = Procedurally-built fairing shell with a 5m base and a maximum diameter of 16m
attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0
mass = 1.45
thermalMassModifier = 4.0 // the dang things are light, so 3200 kJ/tonne-K
// heatConductivity = 0.06 // half default
emissiveConstant = 0.95
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 9
maxTemp = 2400 // = 3400
fuelCrossFeed = True
stageOffset = 1
childStageOffset = 1
bulkheadProfiles = size3
MODULE
{
name = ModuleProceduralFairing

nSides = 64
nArcs = 2
TextureURL = Squad/Parts/Aero/fairings/fairings_diff

panelGrouping = 3
pivot = 0,0.17,0
axis = 0,1,0

baseRadius = 2.5
maxRadius = 8
capRadius = 0.5
snapThreshold = 0.25

xSectionHeightMin = 0.3
xSectionHeightMax = 6

edgeSlide = 0.15
edgeWarp = 0.02
noseTip = 0.5

UnitAreaMass = 0.06
UnitAreaCost = 18
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleCargoBay
DeployModuleIndex = 0
closedPosition = 0
lookupRadius = 4

// nodeOuterAftID = bottom
// nodeInnerAftID = top
}
}

Important parts:

MODEL

{

model = Squad/Parts/Aero/fairings/fairingSize3

scale = 1.333, 1.333, 1.333

}

Started with the 3.75m fairing model, scaled it up 1.33x to make it 5m (5 / 3.75 = 1.33333...) This scales the base only, the fairings are spawned via the settings in the module below.

nSides = 64 //This basically determines how many "sides" the cylinder has, the bigger the part the more sides it needs to look "round" instead of faceted like the head of a bolt or something. I didn't change it from the 3.75m setting and it seems to look right still. if you go much larger you might need to bump it again.

nArcs = 2 //This determines how many vertical slices the panels split into as debris. If its at 2 it splits into 2 halves. clamshell style.

baseRadius = 2.5 // This is the default radius of the fairing panel at the base. Note its radius and not diameter so a 5m fairing is 2.5m.

maxRadius = 8 // The maximum radius the fairing can expand to. You can do straight from 2.5 to 8 in one section if so you desire.

capRadius = 0.5 // The radius of the pointy bit up top

snapThreshold = 0.25 // How close you need to make the current ring to snap closed (I think?)

xSectionHeightMin = 0.3 // minimum section height

xSectionHeightMax = 6 // maximum section height

The other things are useful too, but that should get you started.

Awesome, thanks Tiberion. I haven't had a chance to look at this yet, but I will. I'll let you know if they keep scaling. :-)

Done.

I tried it with the cfg I was already working on and got the same weird results, so I re stole the cfg from stock and it worked just fine.

Thanks again

2LLnx0M.png

4Jecr8o.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.