Project Helicopter [Developement diary]

Project Helicopter

Italian Forum Thread http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.it/6-hangar-ksp/1758-project-helicopter-developement-diary

Project Hystory

Since i started playing KSP, i was interested on Helicopters. I saw people making flying screws, etc.

Well, i was one of them.

Some months ago, i thought about a concept to fly helicopters, by separating rotor from the helicopter chassis.

Now i want share my work on this project.

Why Project Helicopter?

Because it's only a project. It will change name when it will not be a project anymore.

Developement Diary

Day 1)Project Helicopter Concept (May, Saturday 30 2015)

h.19:30

After several tries, i had the concept to do it.

It will be powered by jet engines. It will detach from the helicopter chassis by a Docking port, and it will stay in position thanks to some wheels.

The helicopter chassis will stay in the right position by SAS.

h.19:51

The rotor makes the helicopter chassis rotate, so i will need something to contrast that force. I think that 2 rotors (or Main Rotor and Tail Rotor) aren't appropriated, because too many vessel changes should be made. I will make a simple engine in the tail for now.

h.20:05

The tail engine works perfectly. The rotation is controlled and contrasted, so it will be able to rotate in the opposite side of the rotating forces made by main rotor.

Now i will take it for a fly test. Yaw and Pitch aren't controlled, i will make them after the Test 1.

h.20:11

TEST 1: The test had good result, apart the explosion of the main rotor. The roll was perfectly controlled. The explosion of the main rotor should be caused by some structural failures, so i will try to fix it.

nXQLgld.png

JuvFpAP.png

Qwcl6Hc.png

Day 2 - Project Helicopter Concept - May 31, 2015

h16:39 - All the afternoon trying to adding yaw and pitch to the helicopter.. Thinking that my idea is impossible. The rotor is indipendent to chassis rotation, and trying to add some wheels to keep it straight with the chassis creates roll forces.

Edited by ITAsimo456

I love it that you've taken an interest in building a helicopter! Great work!

But if you use the search ... the first helicopter using this principle was built in 2012. Using jet engines on the rotor blades.

After that in 2013 I invented the turboshaft engine and created a whole series of helicopters and airplanes using this, and some people followed. At this moment in time, the people who love to build them, are a bit disgruntled by the fact Squad has nerfed the basic jet engine. It only produces 2/3 of the thrust at low airspeed compared with pre 1.0x. But ... the turboshaft engines aren't dead. Take a look at the links in my signature, so you won't have to reinvent the wheel :-)

I don't want really to see someothers rotors for now. I'd like to learn something by making things by myself. Anyways i did know the 2012 helicopter only... Watching your creations makes me feel a noob xD

Anyways thanks for clearing my doubts.

Edited by ITAsimo456

Hi !

You know , build stock copter is one of the hardest thing in KSP .

I myself give up after trying different build skill & a tons of parts introduce still KSP 0.23 & WoW , That's really hard .

When finally got " something able to fly " & realize that the only mass device reach more than 3 tons , i really wonder how to take off a decent craft with a good TWR .

....1 i finally use mod with turboprop ready to fly .

But i can't blame you to try & maybe you"ll find a new method for stock turboprop in our favorite game ;)

Just Good Luck , Stock Prop generally mean lot of unintended issues .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.