Important Discovory for KSP Submariners!

TheBrisbyMouse

I was just screwing around today with rocket payload ballasting, when my test rig(a cupola and a full 2.5m ore tank) hit the water and sank unusually low. I modified the test rig so that the parachutes decoupled, relaunched, decoupled the parachutes when I splashed down, and this happened:

screenshot231_zpsfhuy2e6x.png

It sinks! And with a payload!

Questions? Comments? MOAR science regarding this?

your 15th pic looks cool - kinda trippy!

any hints?

how did you get there?

how much weight did you need to bring?

did you get back to the surface again?

can you plant a flag down there?

did you get a glimpse of the krakens tentacle down there?

your 15th pic looks cool - kinda trippy!

any hints?

how did you get there?

how much weight did you need to bring?

did you get back to the surface again?

can you plant a flag down there?

did you get a glimpse of the krakens tentacle down there?

You can't get out with the set up I used- a kerbal will float back to the surface quite rapidly. Perhaps some sort of cage that holds them under would work.

I stuck two long Mk3 fuel tanks on a Mk3 crew tank, and that got me down. Also used hullcam units to get photos. The problem with undersea missions is the camera plays up, you're limited to looking down, or to certain angles in chase/locked view.

I got up again when my 'submarine' disintegrated on reload, leaving just the crew pod. On its own, it did not sink, which is a change from previous experiences.

Though, the Tardis mod may still be the better option for undersea exploration. That thing sunk well, I used it to explore the bay of old kerbin city. It is also able to generate thrust to get back up again.

From my experience it's mass vs area. There's a fine line where if your mass is greater than a certain surface area, you sink. This was proven quite well with one submarine mod whereby the guy stuffed gobs of monopropellant in a small tank and then modified rcs ports to fill and evacuate the tank.

It's either that or a density/qty/mass equation. The density of Ore is twice that of LF.

edit ===

Found it. The mod was GABYALUFIX’S QUICK AND DIRTY SUBMARINES

And it worked for .90. Should work for 1.0.2

Edited by Fengist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.