What are the default physics settings?

The reason I am asking this is that I was experimenting in sandbox mode and so I was just playing around and discovered the Alt-F12 menu. After briefly experimenting with the settings and making some entertaining explosions, I went back to my career game and discovered that it is now messed up with the nonsense settings.

I would like to reset them to their normal defaults so I can play properly. Can anyone tell me what the unmodified settings should be for v1.0.2.842 (a reset to default button would have been very useful; I don't trust the limited information I can find with a web search)

Thank you for the help,

Richard

Edited by RidiculousRichard

If you are using steam, just delete physics.cfg and let it check the game cache, if not, redownload KSP, copy then entire downloaded data into your current KSP directory and choose don't copy when asked to replace things. That way it should only paste the physics.cfg

quietghost: Well, the default values _in code_, not the values as shipped in 1.0.2. Which is why I did not recommend that approahc. :)

My first thought was "psh, the default values shipped in the config file are what's in code". But I just checked my moving the Physics.cfg out of the game dir on my OS X laptop, launching the game to recreate it, then diffing the two, and there is one value that differs:

peter@antilles:~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program

% mv Physics.cfg /tmp

*launch game, let it get to menu screen, then immediately exit*

peter@antilles:~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program

% diff -u /tmp/Physics.cfg Physics.cfg

--- /tmp/Physics.cfg 2015-06-03 22:53:38.000000000 +1000

+++ Physics.cfg 2015-06-03 22:54:07.000000000 +1000

@@ -1,4 +1,4 @@

-dragMultiplier = 8.0

+dragMultiplier = 8

dragCubeMultiplier = 0.1

angularDragMultiplier = 2

liftMultiplier = 0.055

@@ -13,6 +13,9 @@

solarInsolationAtHome = 0.15

convectionDensityExponent = 1

convectionVelocityExponent = 3

+newtonianConvectionFactorBase = 2

+newtonianConvectionFactorTotal = 3

+newtonianVelocityExponent = 0

convectionFactorSplashed = 300

fullConvectionAreaMin = 0.2

fullToCrossSectionLerpStart = 0.8

@@ -23,9 +26,6 @@

partEmissivityExponent = 4

radiationFactor = 1

convectionFactor = 40

-newtonianConvectionFactorBase = 2

-newtonianConvectionFactorTotal = 3

-NewtonianVelocityExponent = 1.5

conductionFactor = 10

internalHeatProductionFactor = 0.03

aerodynamicHeatProductionFactor = 1

NewtonianVelocityExponent is set to 1.5 in the default config file, but in the absence of a config file the game sets it to 0. The other diffs can safely be ignored.

That's unusual.

EDIT: What this means is that if you want to be sure you're using the stock values

* Delete Physics.cfg

* Start the game, then exit it.

* Edit Physics.cfg, search for NewtonianVelocityExponent, and change it to 1.5.

Edited by stibbons

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.