Taking data

Hello,

Is there a way to choose which data I want to take from MPL? Currently I have 28 inside and I want to take back to Kerbin just the one which I have processed the rest I cannot at the moment process since Data Storage in MPL is full and I might even send 2-3 more MPLs on that Mun Station. Right now When I get to the MPL with kerbal on EVA and right click I can only remove all of them but I just want few of them.

Edited by seaces

To be short, no.

Once data is in the MPL it cannot be taken out. What you can do in the future is to take the data from the science modules and store them in a pod. And then you can can land and recover the pod, with the science in it, on Kerbin.

When I right click there is a button to take those science reports from MPL but that will take all of them 28 in total and I just need out of that bunch to take selected few which have been already processed (by the yellow button) those experiment are added in the MPL data pool so they need not to be inside anymore and I can return them home to earn some science. Others cannot be processed because I have already 480 data inside so either I wait for it to crunch that 480 or send 2-3 more MPLs.

You cannot pick which experiments to take out of a pod, all you could have done was to leave the readings in their instruments - useless if you want to take more than one reading/not carry around x of the same gizmo.

One more reason to rework how the available data influences the conversion rate.

Maybe ask in the ShipManifest mod thread if the creator is able/willing to put in a funtionality to do this.

What i meant was that you can take the data out of the science modules. A science module is not a Mobile Processing Lab!. A science module is a mystery goo, a thermometer or a materials bay. When you are on a EVA you can go to those modules and take the data out of it. Then you can store that science in a command pod. The mk1 for instance. then you send that command pod back and recover the science on Kerbin. In this proces you cannot involve the Mobile Processing Lab!

What i meant was that you can take the data out of the science modules. A science module is not a Mobile Processing Lab!. A science module is a mystery goo, a thermometer or a materials bay. When you are on a EVA you can go to those modules and take the data out of it. Then you can store that science in a command pod. The mk1 for instance. then you send that command pod back and recover the science on Kerbin. In this proces you cannot involve the Mobile Processing Lab!

Sorry I misunderstood you. My data has first has to go through MPL to be processed and then returned to Kerbin while the MPL does research.

You cannot pick which experiments to take out of a pod, all you could have done was to leave the readings in their instruments - useless if you want to take more than one reading/not carry around x of the same gizmo.

One more reason to rework how the available data influences the conversion rate.

Maybe ask in the ShipManifest mod thread if the creator is able/willing to put in a funtionality to do this.

Should be stock feature to be able to select which data to remove.

Speaking of conversion rate with two one star scientist in MPL orbiting Mun at 10km yields daily 0.3 if I remember correctly. So if I have around 480 data in it should take me couple of years to crunch all of that adn to make it worst it got filled up by just doing one landing to the Mun which took materials observation, goo, crew rep, EVA report, surface, thermometer and atmo pressure.

Edited by seaces

Sorry I misunderstood you. My data has first has to go through MPL to be processed and then returned to Kerbin while the MPL does research.

Well, it is simple, you can't recover data wich you processed in the MPL. Once you process it, you only can take it all out. Just the thing you didn't want.

Should be stock feature to be able to select which data to remove.

Maybe in future versions of KSP ;)

Speaking of conversion rate with two one star scientist in MPL orbiting Mun at 10km yields daily 0.3 if I remember correctly. So if I have around 480 data in it should take me couple of years to crunch all of that adn to make it worst it got filled up by just doing one landing to the Mun which took materials observation, goo, crew rep, EVA report, surface, thermometer and atmo pressure.

Yep, but 0.3 is relatively much. If you do one mission to, let's say, duna, wich takes around a year. In the meantime your MPL has generated 500 science wich is quite a lot.

This is one of the headaches of the MPL system. One workaround is to take two copies of each experiment one to store the command pod, and the other to store in the MPL. Since the MPL has such small data storage, it's likely to tie up those experiments for a VERY long while. If you have two copies, you can take one home while you're waiting the years it takes for your local lab to process the other copy.

I agree. The data storage fills up too fast. Now I have 2 choices. 1) Return the data which is not injected in the MPL and lose long term science gain or 2) Send more MPLs to use those experiments and also upgrade Lander with double experiments so I can do as You have mentioned. 2) One the most costly one since I am in career mode and sending heavy MPLs is expensive not to mention that I would need to hire more scientists.

I agree. The data storage fills up too fast. Now I have 2 choices. 1) Return the data which is not injected in the MPL and lose long term science gain or 2) Send more MPLs to use those experiments and also upgrade Lander with double experiments so I can do as You have mentioned. 2) One the most costly one since I am in career mode and sending heavy MPLs is expensive not to mention that I would need to hire more scientists.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I found out that you couldn't have 2 MPL in one vessel. It just says 'not enough storage for data' (or something like that) while one MPL is completely empty...

True...found out that the hard way...so what I did is just decoupled MPL started the research and uploaded data and then just coupled it again to the rest of station

Did it work? Did you transmit the science? See if that works

Well it has 500 science one star scientist and one 0 star scientist it gives .5 science per day and I have verified that science indeed is slowly generated. So I don't see the reason why it wouldn't allow me to transmit generated science..

Well it has 500 science one star scientist and one 0 star scientist it gives .5 science per day and I have verified that science indeed is slowly generated. So I don't see the reason why it wouldn't allow me to transmit generated science..

Because per vessel you can only operate one MPL so maybe transmitting science would give an error if two MPL's transmit there data

As the experiment-to-data process can be initiated from any part of the craft that can take/hold experiments, it seems reasonable that it looks at the vessel globally and picks the first lab (starting the search from the root part?) it finds to check for available data capacity.

The data-to-science conversion runs in a different module, so it is possible to run several labs on one vessel as long as they have been filled with data seperate from the afterwards joined vessel.

The config file does not give an action menu item for transmitting the science, so I cannot guess if every lab transmits seperately or one will transmit all science everywhere on the craft (like selecting transmit from an antenna).

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceLab
containerModuleIndex = 0
dataStorage = 500
crewsRequired = 1
canResetConnectedModules = True
canResetNearbyModules = True
interactionRange = 5
SurfaceBonus = 0.1
ContextBonus = 0.25
homeworldMultiplier = 0.1
RESOURCE_PROCESS
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 10
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceConverter
scientistBonus = 0.25 //Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x
researchTime = 7 //Larger = slower. Exponential!
scienceMultiplier = 5 //How much science does data turn into?
scienceCap = 500 //How much science can we store before having to transmit?
powerRequirement = 5 //EC/Sec to research
ConverterName = Research
StartActionName = Start Research
StopActionName = Stop Research
}

It transmited the data from selected lab. I would like to mention one bug I noticed. So I have placed in new MPL 28 experiment reports so I start pressing process button on each thinking that when I reach 500 data the MPL will stop the process. Wrong! I ended up having data: 1500/500 without any error to stop that and predicted conversion rate was at 1. something with two scientist mentioned in my post above. Unfortunately my happiness of that high conversion rate when I pressed the button start research. The data went to 500/500 and I have no idea where are other 500. Also I cannot rerun the processing on those reports so I think I have lost those 500. So yeah be careful how much you are putting in don't just spam process button.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.