[1.0.4]Civilian Population 1.7.5.1 (Update to 1.0.5 in Progress)

Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should the cosmetic IVA's be kept?

• Keep IVA's (they are fun to look at!)
    • Remove IVA's but offer in an Optional Download (would take more time to implement but doable!)

Haha figures I want to get started with some cfg changes and you pop out another update that rocks. Yea your right that the CP ones look better and they are not as unwieldy to try and get moved around. I never did get a mobile workshop from EL to look like anything but a blimp lol. Now to play or not to play, that is the question!

Currently not seeing this mod in the CKAN program for download.

Also looking forward to USI-LS integration to compliment the USI-MKS/OKS, would be nice to have Supplies/Mulch loop with this as well.

EDIT: https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Adding-a-mod-to-the-CKAN#kerbalstuff-guide for instructions on adding it to CKAN once the CKAN option is enabled in KerbalStuff. It still needs to be listed on CKAN, enabling the option in KerbalStuff just makes it stay updated automatically once it is added, but it has not yet been added up to this moment.

I submitted a Netkan file to them, hopefully it should be up within a Day :)

Unfortunately there is a limit with the way EPL works, in that you need to have Kerbals on board, (to provide the productivity) So you'll need to have a manned capsule of some sort, along with the drone and some non-stupid kerbals, and you should be golden.

I am working on a workaround for this to enable Unmanned construction in a future patch.

Actually that reminds me I missed putting in a productivity rating to all the housing units. That way you can say, example Attach a construction drone to a small house and use that for your Construction Ship

Testing and uploading a quick hotfix in a few minutes for that :D Will provide some details and screenshots on Building methods for everyones edification!

I've got Kerbals aboard, though. Here's a screenshot of the vehicle in question. It has three Engineers aboard, and you can see the central workshop module has productivity. But the two construction drones aren't contributing anything.

I've got Kerbals aboard, though. Here's a screenshot of the vehicle in question. It has three Engineers aboard, and you can see the central workshop module has productivity. But the two construction drones aren't contributing anything.

Ah yes.. your ok then, With the latest changed i made with the EPL hotfix, the construction Drone is not needed in space (only an orbital dock of some type) Currently the Drone will only act as a Survey station on planetary bases. (allowing you to build with survey Stakes)

I am currently working on implementing their unmanned function of adding productivity. Should have an update soon for that. (As posted above) Got it semi working in my dev build... just smashing a few lingering bugs. So dont go rebuilding that ship yet :P, should be alot more productive soon.

Ah yes.. your ok then, With the latest changed i made with the EPL hotfix, the construction Drone is not needed in space (only an orbital dock of some type) Currently the Drone will only act as a Survey station on planetary bases. (allowing you to build with survey Stakes)

I am currently working on implementing their unmanned function of adding productivity. Should have an update soon for that. (As posted above) Got it semi working in my dev build... just smashing a few lingering bugs. So dont go rebuilding that ship yet :P, should be alot more productive soon.

Ah. I was mainly hoping to use it in space, to speed up construction times.

awesome to see this mod getting some updates, I have been trying to update a few examples from Stanford Toruses for my own use with mixed results, any help would be appreciated, I can share my WIP files, though I really don't know what I'm doing... =\

awesome to see this mod getting some updates, I have been trying to update a few examples from Stanford Toruses for my own use with mixed results, any help would be appreciated, I can share my WIP files, though I really don't know what I'm doing... =\

I'd be happy to help, feel free to PM me with any questions.

A odd bug i noticed with the recent update, When I click on the university from that point on i can't get a right click menu for anything on the ship. I downgraded to the last version and the problem goes away. This was with a clean install of the game.

A odd bug i noticed with the recent update, When I click on the university from that point on i can't get a right click menu for anything on the ship. I downgraded to the last version and the problem goes away. This was with a clean install of the game.

The university was not changed in any way with the last update. Shouldn't have affected anything, but im testing now.

EDIT: Was able to reproduce it. Working on fix now.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

omg so glad to see this mod continued. thank you Rabid! i know it this mod is alot of work but could you consider adding a life support production item (like the algae farm you and oaktree made in .9) that fits in a mk3 cargo bay for small generational ships for the sake of aesthetics. Also a reactor that would be that size that didnt require radiators would be very appreciated as well.

Got the issue resolved, uploading a hotfix now.

omg so glad to see this mod continued. thank you Rabid! i know it this mod is alot of work but could you consider adding a life support production item (like the algae farm you and oaktree made in .9) that fits in a mk3 cargo bay for small generational ships for the sake of aesthetics. Also a reactor that would be that size that didnt require radiators would be very appreciated as well.

KESPA, the small hydroponic garden fits in the Mk3 cargo bay just fine , quite a perfect fit.

q6nJsTu.png

In regards to a reactor. I'm putting the finishing touchs on a Generation Ship reactor core, and a Bridge module. They are for the larger 3.5m form factor Largest biospheres.. Regarding a smaller form factor reactor, the MKS/OKS ones fit that bill pretty nicely already, and dont require radiators.

Preview of the new parts, the bridge module still needs finishing touchs, its a little rough. and finishing up config files.

b5Qvosh.gif

PATCH 1.6.2: University Hotfix

-- Just a small hotfix to the University, should no longer cause the right click context menu to disappear. Download on the first page as usual. (Squad has some silly coding on the ModuleScienceLab :P was basically changing a 0 to 1 :D )

Dont you think it would be cool to have surface structures for kerbals that resemble the buildings in a utopian city.

There are surface based structures in the pack :) (along with most of the housing structures are duel purpose, either orbit or land based)

What exactly are you looking for?

There are surface based structures in the pack :) (along with most of the housing structures are duel purpose, either orbit or land based)

What exactly are you looking for?

Buildings comparable to houses, Or in other words structures specifically designed for surface use in oxygen atmosphere

daniel this mod is geared more towards colonizing space and new planets, maybe you what your looking for would be Kerbal Konstructs. Its about placing buildings on Kerbin and some will even let you launch from them.

yeah but i would like to establish colonies on other worlds that ACTUALLY look like a home, You cant live in a inflated airtight cylinder forever you know, So i figure that this mod should have very homey-looking structures to use once you have a population on a planet, BTW i think it would be cool to have a plugin that counts the amount of population you have on the surface of a planet and count that as a global pop that you can see in the map screen knowledge base.

Wombat Great work on this mod and I'm glad your working on new things for it. Without this mod i would never be able to build the massive 600 part never return home stations. Poor space born kerbal's. You think kerbal babies look similar to heads of cabbage?

Apologies for any texture problems with the models I updated. They all seemed fine when I tested them before, but a few different issues crept in somewhere along the way. I've continued working on the models, and have managed to fix most of the issues. I realised that some problems were caused by importing triangles and quads on the same mesh into unity, and having an old jpeg version of one of the textures. One of the textures in the download was also the wrong one - a normal map instead of the diffuse. I'm still getting an issue with the dirt texture copying itself onto other textures. It's really bizarre. I'll submit the updated models once this is sorted.

Apologies for any texture problems with the models I updated. They all seemed fine when I tested them before, but a few different issues crept in somewhere along the way. I've continued working on the models, and have managed to fix most of the issues. I realised that some problems were caused by importing triangles and quads on the same mesh into unity, and having an old jpeg version of one of the textures. One of the textures in the download was also the wrong one - a normal map instead of the diffuse. I'm still getting an issue with the dirt texture copying itself onto other textures. It's really bizarre. I'll submit the updated models once this is sorted.

No worries :) I appreciate the effort you put into em! I just noticed that issue with the copied textures myself.

I converted all textures to PNG before uploaded the 1.6 version. A DDS conversion is in the works, but slow going. But in the end, i feel like i may do a full re-texture of the mod (their textured pretty inefficiently at the moment. and alot of space could be saved by sharing textures.

Also i'm gonna slap a pole up about IVA's up there, While the IVA's are fun too look at, the IVA's on the Civilian habitation modules don't really serve a purpose. I could pull them out and include them as an optional download, if folks are interested. . That would easily cut the mod's footprint in half.

I agree about optimizing the textures. I'm not sure how many of the existing ones are actually used. Several of the textures which don't need to tile, just show a single colour (such as for the windows, the plain glass and the dome frames) could be put onto a single texture.

I think a separate pack for the IVAs would probably be best. What would be the alternative for module IVAs? Does the all-black stock one work for any crew size?

hey there,

im the one voted for removing IVA completely as i am more interested in the whole managing part.

IVA for command modules in space is fine... but for habitation modules and else? i can IVA in a command modulele docked there, if i'd want that.

its just wasted space & time imho.

Finally purged the texture problems! I can't tell you how frustrated I was getting with it. :mad: So, the next lot of models are finally definite improvements over the originals (feel free to disagree :wink:).

So, now that I've remove one elephant from the room, I'm going to look at another - the somewhat-demolished eight-kerbal house. I'm assuming it was an organisational error on Hestor's part that caused that nice inside section to disappear. I can't see why it would have been removed, otherwise. And speaking of interiors, I've been working on the largest apartment complex. There were loads of duplicated surfaces there, so I should be able to optimize it a lot. I've been looking at making that huge nook in the upper-midsection into an observation deck, and possibly allowing kerbals to EVA inside it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.