THIS... this right here.. is why I love KSP

wossname

By far, this is the most epic set of missions I've done so far.

Grab an A-class asteroid, haul it back to Kerbin, drill a hole in it, extract the precious fuels.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ihelsfo

This makes career mode my favourite way to play :)

4 flights:

Flight 1 to capture and return the asteroid to a horribly eccentric and inclined orbit of Kerbin.

Flight 2 to almost fix the broken orbit.

Flight 3 to make the orbit perfect 120km circular with 0.000 eccentricity. (This is the smaller ship hanging off the side of the mining rig).

Flight 4 to bring Bob and the mining gear up to exploit the valuable minerals!

This whole set of missions cost about 800,000 to undertake. No fatalities, this was a good day for Kerbalkind.

Oh, and I called it "Texako Station" :D.

Edited by wossname

I haven't tried to mine an asteroid yet so I'm sure this is a stupid question but here goes. Wouldn't it be easier to just take the equipment to the asteroid and mine it where it is rather than drag the whole thing all the way back to Kerbin?

I haven't tried to mine an asteroid yet so I'm sure this is a stupid question but here goes. Wouldn't it be easier to just take the equipment to the asteroid and mine it where it is rather than drag the whole thing all the way back to Kerbin?

If you don't capture the asteroid, it's likely to keep taking you further and further from Kerbin as you mine, and then there's the cost of hauling the ore/fuel back and forth over and over.

If you intercept an asteroid early on, it really doesn't take much to divert it into a stable orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.