Problems with "clipping"

Hey community!

I have huge problems with „clipping“ parts together. There is always at least one connection which don’t “clipâ€Â. So I tried to make a frame (for space stations, or solar arrays) but the frame is always “openâ€Â.

h7ta8uw8.png

I don’t get it to make a square frame and than there are people here building the “Millennium Falcon†or a 400 tons cruiser…meh.

So is there something I didn’t get so far?

PS: I also tried the “allow part clippingâ€Â-option: The parts touch each other but don’t “melt†together. So the result is the same, no real connection between the last parts.

Best regards

Ring structures don't work so well in KSP due to the tree structure used to describe part relations. The only way to make that last connection is with docking ports or struts.

Just FYI, "clipping" in the debug menu and KSP in general usually refers to fitting one part inside another rather than just connecting.

The ship itself cannot contain any part loops.

Use a pair of docking ports to make that last connection.

Docking ports should (well, can) bypass this limitation.

A nice pile of struts can also make your problem disappear, not by actually solving it but by making the loose parts too scared to move visibly.

Thx for the quick responds! I see the problem now...the internal tree structure.

BUT...^^

I still have more problems with clipping in v1.0.2.

I tried to rebuild the “Starhammer†from ShadowZone. And after some parts I struggled again with my old friend the “y n clipping hereâ€Â. Especially I had a problem to add the “Mk3 Cargo Bay CRG-25†on the end of the “Mk3 Cargo Bay CRG-100†with the help of a “Cubic Octagonal Strutâ€Â. It was not a problem to add the "25" on the “top connecting point†of the “Cubic†but the game denied to add them on the “bottom connecting pointâ€Â.

So I rebuild the first part of the “Starhammer†in v0.9.

Aaaaand…in this version it was not a problem. Without any struggle I could use the “bottom connecting point†to add the “25†even to the level of the “100â€Â.

So I saved that part of a ship and opened it in v1.0.2.

At first all parts were on the right spot.

djee7xte.png

Than I tried to remove the “Mk3 Cargo Bay CRG-25†and added them again on the “Cubic Octagonal Strutâ€Â. And this time it doesn’t worked again.

nrrdj8zx.png

Meh.

So I really, really have some serious problems with the clipping in the game.

Some ideas how I can get the “clipping procedures and rules†of the v0.9 version in here?

I don’t use any kind of mods.

Edited by WolfS

Everyone told you about every thing but Id like to tell you that "clipping" you say is node attachment or inline attachment, it would be easier if you use these if/when you have problems whe attaching like that

Use a pair of docking ports to make that last connection.

Docking ports should (well, can) bypass this limitation.

Jup, but if I use a pair of docking ports I will get two negatives. First, I also have to use two docking ports also on "the other side" to have the same lengh of the sides. And the next is that the docking ports limited the overall stregh of the frame (wobbling and so on).

But nevertheless, its seems there is no really other working way around that "tree problem".

Thx for you help.

Edited by WolfS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.