Question about wing drag

Hello all,

I've been working on an interplanetary SSTO design, and a big part of that is reducing drag to the absolute minimum for the most efficient possible flight to orbit. Now for a fuel tank, it seems quite clear that flying through the air sideways produces quite a bit more drag than flying through the air end-on, but is this also true for wings? At first it seemed like the delta wings I was using generated a fair bit more drag than the much narrower strakes I ended up with, but now I've seen a fair number of designs around that seem to use both swept and delta wings, which cut a much wider swath through the air than the strakes. IRL, all planes that go super-extra fast, like the SR-71, do have a very long and narrow profile, but is this actually true in stock KSP aero? TIA for any insights on this...

Edited by herbal space program

Devs told us that stock aero doesnt use wing shape stuff, and makes any wings change shape in the aero calculations, if its going slow, it acts like a rectangular, non swept wing. If its fast, it acts more like a swept wing or delta wing. The surface area still matters though so less wing = less drag.

Devs told us that stock aero doesnt use wing shape stuff, and makes any wings change shape in the aero calculations, if its going slow, it acts like a rectangular, non swept wing. If its fast, it acts more like a swept wing or delta wing. The surface area still matters though so less wing = less drag.

Thanks! I guess I can stop worrying about that now. On a related note, would you happen to know if clipping wings into fuselages, etc. alters their effective area and/or drag? I'm not trying to cheat the aero system or anything, but sometimes the shapes you're given just don't fit the design.

I have read other posts (too lazy to look for citations) that state that clipping parts does NOT reduce their drag. I have reading nothing about the effects on the lift model though. Perhaps someone can test that out?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.