My new love: First Person Roving

G'th

So during my Apollo 16 mission, where I finally managed to assemble (and then relearn to drive) a PRC rover, I decided to see what it was like to turn on Hullcam's first person feature and see what roving was like in first person.

And suffice it to say, it is too much fun. Makes the large distance I'm currently travelling seem much less boring.

1909277_896133623763091_1202490070096717839_o.jpg

11313082_896133627096424_8640357458333922222_o.jpg

Granted, anyone who make a rover with a command pod kind of already got this sort of experience, but even so. Its neat.

I wish you well and good fortunes in your first person roving.. its indeed something special.. sometimes while we're flying over the terrain the subtle artwork in the terrain mastered by squad and crew are lost to the blur of speed and distance..

having been a full time train driver for over a year..I know exactly what you mean.. being up close and personal with the terrain is an entirely difference experience to simply using the external view.. in this context 10m/s seems a tad too fast.. extreme terrain changes also become scary and rightly so..

you dont quite appreciate the ground when its rushing up to meet you with balls of flame and death when flying an aircraft or spaceship :)

The rover itself comes from Portable Rover Components by ASET.

Still works, though I find it suffers from the explosion bug that can happen with KAS/KIS, and in turn also suffers from some wonky ground collision. I bring along a couple of ground pylons (the KAS one works best) to rest the rover base on. This stops it from falling through the ground and makes it easier to attach parts to it. And after your done, all you have to do is move the pylons out of the way and bam, it drops down like a dainty butterfly lol. (I also found this construction platform technique useful for any sort of in-situ rover construction)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.