impossible to get this thing into orbit without veering of course and random course changes

I'm getting so fed up with this game I'm about to quit just because of this. I simply want to get this rocket into orbit but It's just impossible. First, when I try to get into an equatorial orbit, it starts veering south etc. When trying to get into a polar orbit it starts veering east. Also, it gets affected by aerodynamic forces like crazy. I even tried adding a second huge reaction wheel, guess what it did: NOTHING.

Here's the craft file. If anyone knows why it's SO DAMN hard to control this, I'll love you forever.

Thanks.

CRAFT FILE: http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/qstoss

PS: The craft is called [QST] O_S_S

Edited by technicalfool
Language

Well, don't despair, that ship just needs a little help to stay stable. With the new aerodynamic in KSP 1.0, stability is a real problem (like it is in the real world). To help ships stay stable while ascending in atmosphere, some wings or fins aft of the Center of Mass help greatly.

I tried with original craft and then a slightly modified one (just with 3x AV-8R fins at the tail), the results are shown below (some comments with the pictures to help get the "picture").

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Hope that helps, sure KSP is a game where testing different ship designs until a viable solution is found, makes for a great deal of the fun.

Well, don't despair, that ship just needs a little help to stay stable. With the new aerodynamic in KSP 1.0, stability is a real problem (like it is in the real world). To help ships stay stable while ascending in atmosphere, some wings or fins aft of the Center of Mass help greatly.

I tried with original craft and then a slightly modified one (just with 3x AV-8R fins at the tail), the results are shown below (some comments with the pictures to help get the "picture").

http://imgur.com/a/ev6de

Hope that helps, sure KSP is a game where testing different ship designs until a viable solution is found, makes for a great deal of the fun.

Wow

I'm absolutely in love with you. You helped me solve this. It's so fun to play ksp again xD <3.

Dude seriously, thanks so much.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.