Can't find .craft or .sfs files or 'saves' folder

Pardon me for posting this problem again but it's got me scratching my dome. I am not an expert with computers but I'm also not a dummy. So, to begin:

System: Win 7 Pro 64 bit; Intel Core i7 Q740; 500Gb HD; 4Gb RAM

The hard drive is partitioned (C: & D and I have a 'Games' folder on D: to install to. I first installed KSP on this partition and it works well. I then installed a few mods to get an idea of what they do and how to use them. I'm still playing this game.

I then decided to install another iteration of the game that I could play without mods and installed it while logged on as 'Guest' - I have two 'Users' - 'Guest' and an administrator account (through which the first KSP was installed). I have played the clean, 'Guest' game for several Kerbal hours, fulfilling contracts and gathering science to unlock more parts (so far having unlocked all up to and including 2 x '90 credit' nodes - I've only been a Kerbophile for a few weeks!)

Now I'd like to move the saved game/s and craft from the C:\Users\Guest game to the original 'Administrator' installation but for the life of me I cannot find any .craft or .sfs files nor any saved files that relate to my games anywhere in the 'Guest' KSP_win account.

I've tried the suggestions (e.g. changing permissions, looking elsewhere, etc.) given to the other posters like LordQuentium on 21st Dec 2014 and Amishacker's post of 4th June 2015 but none have so far helped me to reveal where they are saved.

There is no KSP folder in C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86) and no .craft nor .sfs files in the KSP_win root folder apart from the default planes, ships and .sfs files in Saves\Scenarios and Saves\Training.

Searching for 'saves' or '*.sfs' or '*.craft' or 'quicksaves' generates the 'No items match your search' message, even though the default .sfs and .craft files exist in the KSP_win root folder, as does a 'saves' folder. Might this help one of you wonderful people to tell me what is going on?

I would greatly appreciate any further tricks other Kerbophiles may have. It's all terribly frustrating! :(

And I can find the flags created for the game! Curious.

Edited by Wakaleo

The save files aren't in the AppData or Documents folders. They are doing it old-school with the save files in the game directory like it used to be for everything before... WinVista, I think. Depending on how you installed it the game might be under your custom destination or under Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves.

I left Windows long ago, but have you tried to "Show hidden files and folders" or whatever the equivalent option is now? After that you can also try searching for your KSP profile folder (i.e. what save name you pick when you resume your game).

If all else fails, you can do a hard search for "ships" in the install directory... maybe limit results to folders, or even better, search for "VAB". It is less likely to return false hits.

Either way, the folder is created in new saves by default where rofltehcat describes. The higher level "SHIPS" folder in the "Kerbal Space Program" folder is where the game stores stock ships. You can copy your own ships there and select "Allow stock ships" or something like that in the settings so multiple saves can use the same design... but that doesn't really help your particular case since you have independent install folders.

@rofltehcat - Thanks for the suggestions but I didn't install through Steam and, as I mentioned, there is no KSP folder in C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86) and no .craft nor .sfs files in the KSP_win root folder (this installation's custom destination) apart from the default planes, ships and .sfs files in Saves\Scenarios and Saves\Training.

@cybersol - Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I did try the "Show hidden files etc." without success, tried changing permissions for the Guest account to full, and have previously and just now searched for the saved games names, also without success.

@match - Thanks also for you suggestions. I have not only searched for the files but have been through all folders looking for anything like .craft and/or .sfs files and the only ones to be found are those installed by default.

By the way, the saved games load perfectly ok in the game itself - I just can't find where they are saved so I can transfer them! Grrrr!

I'm obviously not doing something correctly - the files must be somewhere!

Then your save games should be under C:\Users\Guest\KSP_win\saves... are you sure you're not looking at the folders with hidden files enabled? Though you're already referencing the AppData folder, which is hidden by default.

When in the explorer looking into a folder you suspect them to be in, press Alt to bring up the action bar at the top. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View and check if "show hidden folders and files" is active.

@rolftehcat - yes, they should be, but aren't. And 'show hidden files and folders' is selected.

Arrggghhh! This is driving me bonkers! Well, a bit more bonkers than I am normally.

Update: I just switched users to the administrator account, opened WE, navigated to the installation folder of the original KSP that I installed on the D:\ partition, opened the 'saves' folder - and as well as the 'scenarios' and 'training' folders, there are all several saves from that game.

Still in WE (and still as administrator), I navigated to the 'Guest' folder then KSP_win, then 'saves' - still none of my saved games to see!

Edited by Wakaleo
update

Wakaleo- if they aren't under C:\Users\Guest\KSP_win\saves then you have the only installation I have seen under any operating system. If I had to venture a guess it would be that you have more than one installation of KSP and are running it from another location maybe without realizing it.

If everything else fails, start a search across your whole system and leave it running over night. Then it has to find something.

Thanks rolftehcat, I'll give it a whirl. BTW, is your name meant to be spelled this way or should it be rolfthecat? ;-)

How do you launch your different "instances"? Do you have two shortcuts on the desktop?

Have you checked the savegame folder of your "admin" instance? Probably it already has both saves?

Thanks rolftehcat, I'll give it a whirl. BTW, is your name meant to be spelled this way or should it be rolfthecat? ;-)

My guess is that its a play on the fact that teh is one of the most often typo/misspells online along with the lose/loose one.

Wakaleo- if they aren't under C:\Users\Guest\KSP_win\saves then you have the only installation I have seen under any operating system. If I had to venture a guess it would be that you have more than one installation of KSP and are running it from another location maybe without realizing it.

goldenpsp - I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence. As for the second, yes, I do have more than one installation of KSP - one on the partitioned 'D' drive (which I access as administrator) and one through the 'Guest' account, which (is it safe to assume) installs on 'C'.

;2003830']How do you launch your different "instances"? Do you have two shortcuts on the desktop?

Have you checked the savegame folder of your "admin" instance? Probably it already has both saves?

Hello [ELF] - I launch both instances through a shortcut on the desktop of both User accounts. And yes, I have looked in 'saves' in the admin instance. Only the games saved through that instance are there.

Here's a weird thing (or perhaps not!) - from the 'Administrator' account I navigated to the 'Guest' account in Windows Explorer and, as Administrator, launched the instance of KSP installed on the Guest account. It loaded but shows no saved games when selecting 'Resume Game'.

I think I'll have a glass of red instead.

goldenpsp - you could be rihgt!

Probably you need to check if you will see your saves from under Guest account, and if so - just copy them to USB drive and relogin to administrator...

Who knows how the files are handled under different owners?..

;2003978']Probably you need to check if you will see your saves from under Guest account' date=' and if so - just copy them to USB drive and relogin to administrator...

Who knows how the files are handled under different owners?..[/quote']

Thanks for your suggestions [ELF] but I've tried that.

goldenpsp - I'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence. As for the second, yes, I do have more than one installation of KSP - one on the partitioned 'D' drive (which I access as administrator) and one through the 'Guest' account, which (is it safe to assume) installs on 'C'.

goldenpsp - you could be rihgt!

My first sentence I thought was pretty clear. I have not seen an instance EVER that if you were running KSP from C:\Users\Guest\KSP_win\ that the saves would not be under C:\Users\Guest\KSP_win\saves.

I'd bet 1,000,000 funds the game you are playing is from a different directory.

My first sentence I thought was pretty clear. I have not seen an instance EVER that if you were running KSP from C:\Users\Guest\KSP_win\ that the saves would not be under C:\Users\Guest\KSP_win\saves.

I'd bet 1,000,000 funds the game you are playing is from a different directory.

goldenpsp - Thanks for your confident suggestion. Here's a snip of Windows Explorer in the C:\Users\Guest\KSP_win\saves folder. As you will see, only the default folders (Scenarios and Training) are in 'saves'.

Those one million funds will certainly set me up! Now, how to transfer them to my game? :wink:

a>

What goldenpsp is suggesting is that you are not actually running the game from that location, even though you think you are. I'm not sure if he's right, but a way to test it would be to make a backup copy of one of the .cfg files in Gamedata/Squad/Parts/X/Y/Z.cfg. Save the backup copy to a far away directory like desktop, then edit the original by changing the "cost = XXX" line by 1. Reload KSP and check that the part changed cost. If so, then you are running from that parent KSP directory. Either way copy the backup over the file you changed when you are done.

I'm actually guessing its in a hidden folder similar to the links you started the thread with, only the username is Guest or whatever windows wants to call that account. At this point I would definitely do an all disks search, but for me that is as simple as:

find / -name "*.craft"

cybersol and goldenpsp - Thanks again for your suggestions.

I have a shortcut on the Guest account desktop which is used to launch the game. The target is C:\Users\Guest\KSP_win\KSP.exe which should be a pretty solid indication that the game is run through that account. To test this I tried your .cfg editing suggestion cybersol.

First I launched the game from the Guest desktop shortcut and made sure the price of the Mark 1 command pod was as it should be at 600 funds (it was). Then I shut the game down and edited the .cfg file to make the price for the pod 601 funds, then launched the game again. The price was now 601 funds in the game.

I have tried searching for the names the games were saved under (JiFi Rocketech - which, by the way, still load with all experience, credits, ships etc.) but the only files it finds are .png files of the flags I created. I've searched for any .sfs files on the Guest account. I've been into AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86) and found only two folders with no relationship to KSP. I've searched in many other places and done a deep search of the entire computer and external drives. All to no avail.

Well I'm stumped! Looks like the best bet might be to start again on the D:\ installation. Ah well!

Thanks everyone for your offers of help.

I'd just do a search for "persistent.sfs", probably of your C: drive ... I've installed this a few places (I'm the only one that uses them), and one installation had me thinking "how did it end up THERE?"

Hello Kryxal - I had already tried a command prompt search of c:\ for *.sfs files and it brought up the same for persistant.sfs (as it would!) as in the image below. Only two .sfs files were found. I don't have time at the present to open those particular files but they might teach me something. I suspect, however, that they are from the demo game I installed first to check it out.

I'll be back in a while.

On another note, why it found the other files with the extraordinarily long paths with repeated folder names is beyond me, but that's perhaps a question for a different forum.

lh9VLM6.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.