Mod List Question

I'm trying to make a list of all the mods I have. A text list. You know, .doc style.

Does anybody know an easier way than physically taking inventory? Is there a segment of a log that shows the mods in a list?

Curious because as I experiment around with Linux and the 64bit win hack I'd like an easy way to keep track of every mod on that particular instance.

Thanks to anybody who knows anything.

Most mods each use their own gamedata directory. It may not be named exactly the same as the mod, but its generally a good start. Beware of mods with dependencies that install in separate gamedata folders or mod authors like Roverdude who put all of their mods into the same gamedata directory.

Most mods each use their own gamedata directory. It may not be named exactly the same as the mod, but its generally a good start. Beware of mods with dependencies that install in separate gamedata folders or mod authors like Roverdude who put all of their mods into the same gamedata directory.

This is the reason I was hoping that there was some sort of log output. I know the big named mods but I have so many little nonpopular mods too that I feel like I'll miss :(

- - - Updated - - -

I found it! For anybody else wondering its about 5% the way down your 'KSP.log' file. Comes in a nice orderly list :)

If you use CKAN then it will have already generated a meta-package file for you (in <KSP-dir>/CKAN/installed-default.ckan)

There are several advantages to that, it has version numbers, it's in JSON (so both human and machine readable) and you can just give that file to CKAN again and it will fetch all those mods for you again.

(and soon there will be a way to upload .ckan files to KerbalX and have it list craft which are compatible with the mods in that file)

If you wanted code to extract the mod names out of the .ckan file it's very simple;

#ruby
JSON.parse(ckan_file)["depends"].map{|mod| mod["name"]}

But equally it's such a simple format you can just read the file yourself.

If you use CKAN then it will have already generated a meta-package file for you (in <KSP-dir>/CKAN/installed-default.ckan)

There are several advantages to that, it has version numbers, it's in JSON (so both human and machine readable) and you can just give that file to CKAN again and it will fetch all those mods for you again.

(and soon there will be a way to upload .ckan files to KerbalX and have it list craft which are compatible with the mods in that file)

If you wanted code to extract the mod names out of the .ckan file it's very simple;

#ruby
JSON.parse(ckan_file)["depends"].map{|mod| mod["name"]}

But equally it's such a simple format you can just read the file yourself.

if you use a unix based system (mac or linux) you can do it with this handy terminal one liner (also prints version):

ruby -e 'require "json"' -e 'puts JSON.parse(File.read("installed-default.ckan"))["depends"].map{|mod| mod["name"] + " " + mod["version"]}' > mods.txt

If you don't use ckan, this gives you just the names from KSP.log (only plugin mods count):

cat KSP.log | grep "Load(Assembly)" | cut -f4 -d":" | awk -F"/Plugins" '{print $1}' | uniq > mods.txt

In both cases it will create (or overwrite) a file named mods.txt that contains the output of the command, also if you have a long list of mods, be sure to put it in spoiler tags when posting it on the forums

Edited by peachoftree

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.