Can I unfreeze a kerbal that fell out of a seat?

If my light craft with external seats crashes *moderately* hard, sometimes it unseats the kerbal. If said kerbal lands on the ground, he freezes - stops moving, reacting to anything. I can switch control to him ( [ ) but he won't move, won't react, can't perform any action. He stays that way after loading a save, even after reloading the game.

Is there some way to "unfreeze" such a stuck kerbal?

Edited by Sharpy

The only way I managed to correct this was to manually edit the save.

If I remember it correctly the kerbal in question will be marked as "FLYING" or "SUBORBITAL" (don't remember which one for sure). Just change that to "LANDED".

Or maybe that's the fix for broken saves when you somehow manage to quick save while in a vehicle which is momentarily flying.

!!! IMPORTANT !!! Make a copy of your save file before you try changing it by hand

I had something like that with my rover seat. It rolled over once and the Kerbal refused to do any thing. Couldn't leave the seat and he'd occasionally fire his rcs boosters despite being stuck in the seat. I couldn't even access him via the eva list in the tracking station.

I eventually freed him by flipping the rover over. So you could try that. I mounted some landing struts on it jsing kas to achieve that but with a plane crashing it the right way is probably easier.

My trick to unfreeze them is a sepratron/flea kick. Since the engines have exhaust, and exhaust is fast, you aim at them and fire. You must send the kerbal to the air (no ground skidding to death) and control him with his RCS fast.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.