Does the EULA prohibit multiple installs on the same computer now?

regex

I think you're right that it is (probably) just some standard boilerplate licence, but this does feel rather against the grain and really it needs adjusting to fit actual customer usage (he says with about 6 currently installed instances going back to 0.24 and backups of everything back to 0.15)

Section 4a seems to suggest that DRM is in the pipes and the bit about collecting personal information (in bold) makes me a a bit displeased.

4. AUTOMATIC MONITORING/AUDITS

(a) You acknowledge that DEPORTED reserves the right, at any time and without notice, to monitor compliance with the terms of this Agreement and to otherwise protect its rights in the Licensed Application by incorporating license management technology into the Licensed Application and monitoring usage, including, without limitation, time, date, access or other controls, counters, serial numbers, and/or other security devices. The Licensed Application may also include product activation and other security technology that is designed to prevent the unauthorized access, use and/or copying of the Licensed Application, including any violations of this Agreement. This technology may cause your device to automatically connect to the Internet, may transmit information about you and the device used to access the Licensed Application (including personal information) to DEPORTED, and may prevent uses of the Licensed Application that are not authorized or permitted pursuant to the terms of this Agreement.

But equally there seems to be good evidence to say that DRM won't be added.

And yeah, who are DEPORTED and what do they do? All we seem to be able to find about them is where they are.

Check out the older EULA:

a) Installation and Use.

Electro Chango S.A. de C.V. grants you the right to install and use copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on your computer running a validly licensed copy of the operating system for which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT was designed [e.g., Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Mac OSX].

(B) Backup Copies.

You may also make copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT as may be necessary for backup and archival purposes.

They've changed licensing companies and the EULA terms regarding multiple installs.

I was idly reading through the EULA today and I noticed a couple of Things.

So I can't use it on Linux?

No, it doesn't say that. It says "on any computer running a validly licensed copy of the operating system for which the Licensed Application was designed". It then lists some examples of valid operating systems (that's what "e.g." means). It does not say those are the only operating systems you can use. Notice that Windows 8 and Windows 10 aren't included in the examples either.

If you have a version of KSP designed to run on Linux, and you have a valid copy of Linux (which is easy because it's free), then it's explicitly saying you're permitted to use it. I suppose running the Windows version of KSP under Wine or Bootcamp or stuff like that might be a bit of a grey area, but I can't imagine that ever being a problem. Their download page has Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of the game, so they have a "Licensed Application" designed for Linux. That clause, therefore, gives you the right to run that application under Linux.

As for the rest of it, it sounds like boilerplate that they'll likely never enforce because it's clearly not the way they want people to use their product. I suspect they might actually revise it if the lawyers/beancounters allow it. Technically, however, it does seem to prohibit multiple installs as well as modifications.

Finally, as for "Deported", I'm guessing the real answer to why they set up the company in this fashion might have something to do with tax laws in various countries.

Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about it.

So, looking back at the EULA in November 2014 it appears to mention a different company holding the rights:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141120002610/https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/eula.php

Electro Chango S.A. de C.V.'s End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Electro Chango S.A. de C.V. for the Electro Chango S.A. de C.V. software product(s) identified above

Edit: ninjaed

If it's a tax haven thing, Squad may not feel "comfortable" discussing this. They may even be trying to figure out what to tell us right now.

Probably. DEPORTED might be a front for the Parallel Dynamics drilling company to avoid taxes, and they just produce EULA's to appear as a normal company.

Form the EULA:

2. LIMITED USE LICENSE.

DEPORTED grants you, and you accept, the non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, non-commercial, limited right and license, during the term, to copy, install, access and use one copy of the Licensed Application solely and exclusively for your personal use on any computer running a validly licensed copy of the operating system for which the Licensed Application was designed [e.g., Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Mac OSX] that you own or control.

To answer the OP:

You're allowed to copy it, and use one copy (at a time)

I don't think that means you can't have multiple versions on one machine as long as you use one at a time. (i think it means you can't copy it to 20 machines and use them all at once.)

and e.g means "for example" so that doesn't exclude Linux.

Only DRM KSP has (ignoring Steam) is that you gotta log in to your store account to patch. Don't expect that to go away and I don't expect anything coming in the future.

I'm gonna chalk that up to standard blanket legal speak from some carbon-copy EULA template they probably used.

But who is DEPORTED and why is it referencing them?

Uh, on Steam it's DRM-free, too. I'm running it without steam running right now.

The other thing though... good question. I'm hoping for a good answer.

And I'm a bit glad to live in Germay. Such rules just don't apply here.

I don't think that means you can't have multiple versions on one machine as long as you use one at a time. (i think it means you can't copy it to 20 machines and use them all at once.)
The language is pretty clear.
to copy, install, access and use one copy of the Licensed Application solely and exclusively for your personal use
One copy and one copy only. E: A marked change from the previous EULA which specifically mentions "copies". Edited by regex

The language is pretty clear.

One copy and one copy only. E: A marked change from the previous EULA which specifically mentions "copies".

That language indicates you can only use one copy at a time. It's not dissimilar to the laws regarding copying VHS or ripping MP3's from your CD collection. You can have multiple copies, you can use only one copy at a time and you may not distribute.

it says "to copy" and "to use one copy"

I stand by my reading until a judge tells me otherwise.

It says "copy, install, access and use one copy" which, in basic English (not sure if that's your first language, so please excuse me), means that all of those verbs (copy, install, access, and use) apply to that noun (one copy).

And yes, a judge/lawyer would be nice to consult because this is a big change in how people have used KSP in the past.

It says "copy, install, access and use one copy" which, in basic English (not sure if that's your first language, so please excuse me), means that all of those verbs (copy, install, access, and use) apply to that noun (one copy).

And yes, a judge/lawyer would be nice to consult because this is a big change in how people have used KSP in the past.

I'm allowed to copy one copy.

If I copy one copy what do I have?

BTW English is my only language.

I'm allowed to copy one copy.

If I copy one copy what do I have?

You need to copy it from Squad to your computer to install and access it, and then you use it. "It" being "one copy".

Here's a link to a Dutch overview site of Deported B.V.: http://drimble.nl/bedrijf/amsterdam/31464408/deported-bv.html

As Zucal mentioned aboved the site states that Deported BV's main investor is Parallel Dynamics S.A. de C.V., located in Mexico City.

I can't seem to find anything on Parallel Dynamics based in Mexico online. However, Deported BV was setup the 22nd of Jan 2015, +/- 1 day before the announcement of KSP going gold.

The Netherlands has been reported as the largest tax haven for US companies, most likely SQUAD is looking to get the most out of their kredits. Also, since tax havens provide little or no financial information to foreign tax authorities this may circumvent any potential affluence related problems in Mexico as Maxmaps pointed out in the past.

I live quite nearby Deported BV, might drive by for a gander... EDIT, scratch that, it's in the World Trade Centre of Amsterdam :confused:

Edited by Yakuzi

I live quite nearby Deported BV, might drive by for a gander...
~:anonymous storefront:~

- - - Updated - - -

Let's just all agree that as EULAs go, it poorly written.
Not arguing that, lol.
Your reading of that would outlaw backups.
There is no mention of software backups in the current EULA, unlike the previous one.

that"s a copy!
Section 7.3 explicitly prohibits making copies:
7. YOU SHALL NOT:

7.3 Make copies of the Licensed Application or any part thereof, or make copies of the materials accompanying the Licensed Application.

Strictly speaking, I have it on excellent authority (a lawyer) that EULAs are unenforceable most of the time, at least in the United States. Contracts require a signature, and even then, a contract can not displace state and federal law. So if the law disagrees with the contract, the law wins every time. That lawyer also told me you should never read one of those things. Failure to read it gives plausible deniability in the event they do have a case against you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.