Gravity assist altitude?

I'll set up where I'm at in the game before I pose my question. I can travel interplanetary space and have landed everywhere except eve. I can use a gravity assist to gain and lose velocity. I often preform an assist around Tylo to get captured in its orbit. With Tylo I can flyby with a 5k periapsis. I've read that people use Eve for a gravity assist to other planets. What I want to know is what should my periapsis be for a gravity assist off of Eve? Does it dip into the atmosphere?

What is your gravity assist for? Deceleration or acceleration?

Entering the atmo will rarerly realize enough extra velocity (for oberth effect) to negate drag effects for acceleration burns. Even if it could, drag effects are hard to accurately predict.

Aero brake for a deceleration turn is an efficient choice, but is hard to plan accurately.

What is your gravity assist for? Deceleration or acceleration?

Entering the atmo will rarerly realize enough extra velocity (for oberth effect) to negate drag effects for acceleration burns. Even if it could, drag effects are hard to accurately predict.

Aero brake for a deceleration turn is an efficient choice, but is hard to plan accurately.

Trying to accelarate. Looking to save dv for my trips to Moho and the outer planets.

100km is out of atmosphere and good

Should I try to get as close to the atmosphere without reentering?

Maximum benefit would be a teensy bit into the atmosphere, but friction will *very* rapidly overtake the added gravity benefit.

Aim for 100km, and don't sweat it if it turns out to be 98km.

By the time you hit 90, all gains will have been lost already.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.