EZ Eve

Still seeing requests for an Eve lander/lifter. So here's one with plenty of dV, so even if you fly it less than optimally you should still make orbit...

jLHwQYG.pngdI6P7pW.png

If you use this MJ ascent profile then you should be able to make a 100km orbit from just about sea level with 1000dV to spare.

CbnoF9y.png

Doesn't take much in the way of fancy flying:

Get the ship to Eve orbit using your favorite lifter/transfer.

Set the brakes on to deploy the air and wheel brakes.

Pick your spot and de-orbit at pretty much any angle. Things will get warm but nothing should go over 1500°.

Once the flames are gone, deploy the 'chutes.

Run the engines a little at 50m or so just to get the landing speed down to 4-5m/s. There's plenty of fuel in the de-orbit and landing drop-tanks.

Stage off the 'chutes and air brakes once you are down.

Taking it up is then just of matter of letting MJ auto-stage it for you or do it manually as you like.

If you want your man to be able to explore then attach a lander can or two (for balance) during assembly somewhere near the ground and transfer your man to/from the capsule when on Eve.

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3bxy8x4tz5yktb/Auto-Saved%20Ship.craft?dl=0

Edited by Foxster

I don't hear the magic word. :wink:

Goddamit, I was just about to finish another, 70t, the core is almost exactly the same as yours. I've got 500t on the pad. I have launched and landed, haven't done an Eve ascent yet, still testing staging.

Goddamit, I was just about to finish another, 70t, the core is almost exactly the same as yours. I've got 500t on the pad. I have launched and landed, haven't done an Eve ascent yet, still testing staging.
Great minds think alike and all that.

I'm going to have a go at making something for this job that looks good. I think there's enough slack in the requirements for an Eve lifter to make that possible.

Great minds think alike and all that.

I'm going to have a go at making something for this job that looks good. I think there's enough slack in the requirements for an Eve lifter to make that possible.

mk2 cargo bays are light and you can seat a Kerbal in them, getting them in is hard. Only had one try at ascent so far and upper stage motors were swapped. It was my first flight from the pad all the way to Eve with this so problems can be expected.

UoZSCvb.png

- - - Updated - - -

Like this, this is my Jool GT Lander, it's also an SSTO on Kerbin, it would work as an upper stage, but Every time I have tried to fly on Eve it has ended in explosions. 10t

10y6OcK.png

Now build one that can carry 16 kerbals in MK3 passenger cabin. I have more than 40 kerbals and it would be a pain to land each of them one by one :)
Does it have to be in a MK3 cabin? And do they all have to get back to orbit? Edited by Foxster

Does it have to be in a MK3 cabin? And do they all have to get back to orbit?

Well mk3 cabin has the best Kerbal/mass ratio. You can always use individual seats for virtually no mass but i am guessing it will be quite annoying to move 16 kerbals or even more. I actually managed to build one that can make orbit and even have enough dV left to return to Kerbin. I have one big problem tho. Can't do a proper gravity turn ascent... Yes going directly up untill i pass 50k then starting the turn works. Can't say i like doing it that way. Craft itself is balanced at every stage and very aerodynamic. Still it seems to love flipping even with fins. Guess i have to put bigger fins and deal with more drag or is there a trick to it?

Also if you really are going to build one that can carry 16 or 32 kerbals please keep the part count as low as possible. I created too many stages with asparagus, craft simply has too many parts for me to enjoy it. The craft is actually quite lagless untill i start moving in the atmosphere... New aero and temp system is killing my cpu combined with part count while moving at high drag situations in atmosphere.

Edited by n0xiety

How you get it down to Eve is your problem :P

Getting it into kerbin orbit might just be a bigger problem than landing it on Eve:)

Well for fuel we can always add a discardable isru and burn our way to stop ourselves with some parachutes. Refuel and discard the isru with drills and we are good to go.

So here's a serious question - trying to land something like these on Eve , how do you handle entry heating?

I have not had any problems so far from orbit, usually only engines are exposed. I once had a drill get very hot.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the #2 EZ Eve. I think it looks more pleasing...

http://i.imgur.com/2WTypRk.jpg

It does look much nicer and sleeker.

So here's a serious question - trying to land something like these on Eve , how do you handle entry heating?

Just by pointing it backwards and going for it. A few air-brakes help of course. Both the craft I posted here have one or more parts that get up to around 1500° (max is 2000) and then it's through the flaming part of re-entry and the temp drops.

I tried building a rocket using all mk2 and mk3 parts but it would not go straight
You have to watch the mk2 parts. They have lift built-in that will drag your ship off course if used vertically.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.