wrong VRAM size detected

hi all :rolleyes:

i wonder, because maybe it's related to the crashes too, or maybe it's not important at all but, in output_log.txt i noticed KSP reports a wrong VRAM size, here you see 3072MB but GeForce GTX 970 has 4GB. Indeed the game goes up to 3700MB before crashing (I use the GCmonitor mod) so it *seems* to use the 4GB but since the log reports a different size, i wonder...

Initialize engine version: 4.6.4f1 (99f88340878d)
Forcing GfxDevice: 0
OpenGL:
Version: OpenGL 4.5 [4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.06]
Renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
VRAM: 3072 MB (via DXGI)

Also, there is a huge difference between the VRAM reported by GCmonitor and GPU-Z: on start screen with DirectX GCM shows 2800MB whereas GPU-Z sensor shows 472MB... Should I start a thread in the GCmonitor mod too ?

+ I am running with OpenGL because with DX the game loads 2800MB at the start screen already (KSP.exe -force-opengl -popupwindow)

+ OS is Win SEVEN x64 ultimate.

+ KSP 1.0.2 legit

thanks for the help :cool:

Edited by scavenger

That's a known "feature" of GTX970, apparently the VRAM is split in two banks, one with 3gb and an extra, slower VRAM with 1Gb...

There was some debate about this until Nvidia finally spoke up. You can see further info here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2888877/its-a-feature-not-a-flaw-nvidia-ceo-addresses-geforce-gtx-970s-memory-spec-fiasco.html

32bit KSP (Unity) can only see 3Gb of VRAM.

And VRAM is not the same as System RAM, where 32bit KSP (Unity) can only use up to 4GB.

GCmonitor show the use of RAM (System) and GPU-Z show the use of VRAM (Graphics card).

Edited by Lumaan

wonderful piece of information, Lumaan! Then GCmonitor has also a wrong name, right? :D:wink:

Really not, From the GCmonitor post is saying "a tool to display a graphic of the memory usage". No where does it say Graphics card memory (VRAM).

But I'll agree with you that if only taking from the post title it does sound like a monitor for Graphics card "GCMonitor 1.2.4 - A graphic Memory monitor"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.