Realistic Interplanetary Propulsion (RIP)

Phoenix1583

I'm going to be starting tonight (after work) on a mod built around the idea of implementing realistic propulsion methods into KSP and potentially adding most realistic planetary bodies as a secondary addon at a later date.

My goals are to pick out ideas proposed by propulsion experts around the world which are either a: unique, b: doable with modern (or near future) technology, and/or c: that utilize innovative fuel sources. Some of those ideas include designs such as internal confinement plasma rockets, solid and gas core fission rockets, fission rockets which utilize water-ice as fuel, solar thermal rockets and various electric propulsion (Though this will take a back seat due to the Near Future Propulsion addon already available). I'd also like to have you guys suggest things that are unique or innovative.

With that out of the way, I'd like to go ahead and say one more thing: I am not going to be doing stockalike parts or cartoonish systems. I've got an OCD complex which forces me to always model things that look realistic and have rational engineering ideas (iow, I avoid pipes and other details that don't look as if they'd serve any real purpose). This means that my poly counts and maps will likely be somewhat larger than what you may be used to and as such, the pack will likely be released in segments as so that the end-user can pick and choose which systems he/she would like to utilize. I'm open to discussion on that idea however.

This thread is simply for the discussion of ideas and a new thread will be created once we move past the discussion phase and into the construction stage.

[edit]:

I'd also like to add some rocket body and fuel tanks to allow for some more realistic craft as well. This will likely be done first.

Edited by Phoenix1583
additional information

Actually Interstellar Extended is something very similar to your idea.

Btw, good luck on your job! It's really interesting!

I love the old Interstellar mod but I always found it to be a little too scifi in certain areas. I'll try to keep to a little more realism but that doesn't mean that IE is in any way bad, just a different flavor of the same thing I have intended. I wish that mod and its creators the best of luck - ultimately, Interstellar was the mod that made me want to do this! :D

What would you folks recommend be the maximum polycount for these objects:

Engine

Fuel Tank

Coupler

Misc. (hab modules, station parts, etc)?

So far, I've been able to produce decent quality engine models which don't look too segmented but I'm hitting around 4-6k tris on them and I still want more detail.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.