Heaviest payload lifted into orbit using Stock parts.

GenJeFT

Hi everyone. I am trying to lift a payload that is 82.5 tons into orbit using a new launcher design.

Ive managed to lift this behemoth into space before using a different launcher but now with the changes the game performance drops to an unbearable situation (less then 1FPS on the pad). The old launcher with the payload weighed just over 400tons and the new launcher brings it down to about 310 tons but I am having problems with the way fuel is being consumed, by the time I can do the orbit burn I have fuel left but 1/3rd of my engines cant get to the fuel which prevents me from making an orbit.

I think I have it fixxed but I have to go to a county meeting today and cant test it until Saturday.

But it got me wondering.

What was the heaviest payload anyone has managed to get into space using only stock parts? Anyone know, and screenshots if possible.

By the way, the thing I am trying to lift is like a role-playing space station to practice in orbit intercepts with, it holds 11,000kg of rocket fuel and 3,750kg of RCS fuel. It has to finish the orbital burn using its own fuel at this point but when its done its got a LOT left over. I know its got a lot left over because the old launch system had almost no problems with it, but this new one does not work so well.

If the test on Saturday goes wrong I just move on to plan B.

Here is the payload.

KSP2012-05-2423-52-20-45.jpg

Here is the lifter.

KSP2012-05-2423-47-32-21.jpg

These have been a bit modified since the pictures were taken and the payload is in orbit, and its broke. Time to try again. At least it serves as a nice intercept target.

I noticed you have more than one ASAS module on board, those don\'t stack you know :P you just need 1 for the whole rocket

Especially if you have mechjeb.

Agreed - GenJeFT, I don\'t know if you realized this, but mechjeb\'s KILL ROT function does the samething as an ASAS while still accepting control inputs.

Heaviest thing launched in the past - This for a fuel-in-orbit challenge back in 0.11 (I think.) I\'ll update in a little while once I figure out how much weighed. Since the final booster stage was in orbit with it and could have been left attached, that\'s gonna take some math.

-----

That was 166 tons to orbit, assuming the final stage was empty when I jettisoned it. I\'ll have to see if I can still launch that in 0.15!

I noticed you have more than one ASAS module on board, those don\'t stack you know :P you just need 1 for the whole rocket

While I realize that they all do the same job the effect they have does seem to stack. Each one seems to impart some force on the ship and that force does seem to add up. Going to test now.

Especially if you have mechjeb.

The most recent version of MechJeb does appear to task SAS modules for stabilization purposes. When testing my most recent heavy lifter into orbit, I mistakenly used the version with several SAS modules and a mechjeb on board, and Mechjeb intermittently toggled SAS on the ascent and when locked in Prograde.

Maltesh - Yes, it makes sense that mechjeb will make use of SAS. SAS are capable of helping stabilize a rocket. ASAS, however, does nothing but send commands to existing gimballing engines and fins, same as mechjeb does.

That\'s what we were saying are pointless to have more than one of, not SAS + MechJeb. Also, the weight of SAS usually doesn\'t make sense compared with the control allowed by gimballing engines without extra weight.

My test of the same basic design worked in 0.15! I just got a very similar craft to my earlier one into orbit - 42 full FL-T500 fuel tanks, 6 that are about 1/6 full each, 36 empty FL-T500, 13 LV-T45 engines, 24 struts, 18 radial decouplers, 6 fuel lines, 1 ASAS, 1 stack decoupler, 1 parachute, 1 stock pod. Total mass in a 75 x 85 km orbit, 157 tons. The craft had 31 LV-T45s and 18 SRBs during launch, and is named 'Slideshow Fuel Supply' for a reason. :) I\'ll just leave it in orbit and hope save-files are compatible whenever we get a update that adds another planet, cause it\'ll need that fuel for deep space.

HWZIx.jpg

Image Gallery

I did mine by hand, since the question was 'stock parts', not stock with mechjeb.

1. I launched that before I had mechjeb.

2. Mechjeb has such a little effect on the performance of the craft itself its acceptable.

I know - sorry, didn\'t mean to be harsh, I was replying in a hurry. I might redo it with a mechjeb nose and confirm my mass to orbit, I didn\'t know about that stats screen. Does that only work if you launched using the ascent autopilot or does it work with hand-launching?

---

Launched with fewer boosters (just needed to unstick from the pad), a mechjeb pod (same mass) and a few more tanks. I used mechjeb ascent autopilot to get it to orbit and then hand-corrected the final orbit a bit.

Mass to orbit and launch mass:

Fa0Tt.png

I know - sorry, didn\'t mean to be harsh, I was replying in a hurry.

Same, I was in a hurry as well.

I might redo it with a mechjeb nose and confirm my mass to orbit, I didn\'t know about that stats screen. Does that only work if you launched using the ascent autopilot or does it work with hand-launching?

Mechjeb shows the stats even if you manually launched like I seem to have to do with most of my ships. Mechjeb just cant get them in orbit. But you do lose a lot of information if you do it manually.

I guess I should be happy I can outfly the computer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.