Simpler Part Model Creation

Does anyone know an easier way to make a part model for KSP than using Blender and the Unity Engine? I don't have much time to learn the two programs given the work I need to do this summer. And as well, let any ideas from here help others too.

Does anyone know an easier way to make a part model for KSP than using Blender and the Unity Engine? I don't have much time to learn the two programs given the work I need to do this summer. And as well, let any ideas from here help others too.

You'll probably have to use Unity with KSP's Part Tools just to compile your models into .mu files. KSP used to load some file formats directly, but last time I tried that, it wouldn't associate textures with it.

Some people start with something like Wings 3D since it's easy to get started. Blender has a steeper learning curve, but a lot of people here use it and can answer questions. It'll also do a lot that Wings 3D can't do.

Hey thanks NecroBones! I appreciate any help I can get :)

I have tried Wings 3D before but I never actually gave it a good shot at something like this. I've been using retextured models from Squad and a few others, but I never actually posted any before.

I'd suggest SketchUp for your modeling, if Wings 3D or Blender's a bit daunting. It can be used to create concepts pretty quickly, and has a decently simple interface. Now, having never modded KSP, I've no idea what sort of process would be available for converting .skp files to something Unity. In a quick search I've found this approach, which does require Blender, but only for importing from one format and exporting to another. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-to-import-a-sketchup-skp-model-into-unity-with-textures.99965/ Of course, SketchUp Pro would alleviate these issues allowing you to directly export to a format Unity can work with. Within the KSP community, I know bac9, creator of the wonderful B9 Aerospace parts either used to, or still does use SketchUp, so it's definitely viable.

Ok, so that would be good if I want to present something fast in game, but if I don't care so much for the textures, and of course because I have Sketchup 2014 on my PC. Thanks Jacob!

Edit: I also bookmarked that for future reference if I forget.

Edited by Avetho
Spelling

You can export from sketchup as a .dae which will import (albeit sometimes messily) into both Blender and Unity (no promises on carrying normal mapping since doing projected texturing in sketchup doesn't convert format well, trust me).

EDIT: And yes, this is SKU free version that can do .dae export last I checked.

Thanks Master Tao, didn't know that. Perhaps I should make a habit of checking every place before starting a thread?

Thanks Captain Sierra. I'll take that into account when I try with a complex model I just created.

that would be good if I want to present something fast in game, but if I don't care so much for the textures

What could also be done, if you wanted to get slightly more complex, and the workflow I do for some projects, is model in SketchUp, get your mesh looking all nice and fine, and then export to Blender, possibly via dae format, as was suggested. Then, in Blender, UV unwrap it, do all your texture work, and then off to Unity. There's a ton of tutorials for basic UV unwrapping and texturing in Blender, and it doesn't require you to mess around with the mesh too much. Plus that way you're able to do nice things like bake ambient occlusion and take advantage of Blender's renderer to assist in texture creation.

Thanks for the advice Jacob :)

I just need to look up a few more things with Blender and then I might be able to learn something useful. And I think using some of Blender's rendering features could give my model that small visual edge :wink:

Should I link the mod on curse so you guys can see it's progress as I go?

Here's the tutorial that got me started. It's a quick 4 entry blog by Beale on using Wings 3D. While Wings doesn't nearly have the power of Blender, I loathed the Blender... interface. This will get you started on modelling though and it produces very acceptable results. When you're ready for animations, take a look at Daz. Like Wings, it's a free program that imports .obj files, which Wings can export and has an intuitive interface. As for Unity, you have no choice in that matter.

To give you an idea of what you can do with Wings, Daz and a decent paint program... I've been modding for less than a month having read just that tutorial and picking up the rest in bits and pieces and here's the results. Not stellar by any stretch, but as I gain skills, I update the models and at least get my ideas out to users.

Edited by Fengist

Thanks Fengist, I'll look into it. Seems easy enough.

- - - Updated - - -

JacobT11 Well, if you want to see the models, they are on my SketchFab if you want to see them: https://sketchfab.com/avetho/models and the mod is here on Curse: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/231718-darktech-wip-parts-and-ship-systems-pack but as of yet, all models are from Squad in the base game.

Edited by Avetho
Hyperlinked links

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice if there was a general tutorial thread for starting out... I have looked through many forum posts and have seen different things. Most of the good tutorials are pretty old (2013).

I also have sketchup experience and would like to start there if possible.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Starbuck, but I've mostly gotten the hang of Blender by now. I may have had a better time learning if I had've checked back here before July, but real life and minor depression has yanked me away from what I want to do in the digital world.

- - - Updated - - -

alienspacepirate, perhaps I could start a thread where people who have something to contribute to it could post a section for. Things like UV unwrapping as stated earlier and modeling programs like SketchUp or Wings3D. If I could give someone else the job of upkeeping it, then it might become truly great for many modders out there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.