SpaceEngine: How many objects, and the odds of finding the same ones

Souper

Hi. I'd like to ask: How many galaxies, stars and planets are in spaceengine? And what are the odds of two completely separate players stumbling upon the exact same planet?

Yes, i know the odds are astronomically low but this is for trivial purposes (just something to think about).

SpaceEngine starts people in our Solar System, right? If so, then the odds of a particular star being visited are probably inversely proportional to the cube of the distance and roughly proportional the the number of people who use SpaceEngine. This won't always be true, though - there are some stars that get visited more than others because they're recognizable.

Well, there are around 100 trillion galaxies. The rough average of stars in each galaxy in the universe is 100 billion. 100 trillion * 100 billion = 10 sextillion stars in Space Engine (if my names are correct :P). Now, the average number of planets a star has is one, so instantly that's 20,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 total celestial bodies, and adding the galaxies themselves makes 20,000,000,000,100,000,000,000,000 celestial bodies. Looking at our solar system in real life, the average number of moons around a planet is 21 moons, rounded up to be even. That equals to 210,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 moons in the universe. Now adding that to the total amount, we have 230,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 celestial bodies. Of course, that's excluding asteroids, comets, and other small objects.

The probability of finding the same object is unlikely if it is uncharted territory, and that chance rapidly decreases as you travel away form Earth and the Milky Way. I like to fly through a large galaxy gigaparsecs from Earth, and I doubt anyone has ever been there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.