What to do with science after tech tree is fully unlocked

Do any mods require stock science points for additional unlocks?

I'm just finishing up my 1st mission to the Jool SOI and thanks to the mobile processing lab i was not only able to finish off the tech tree but i have 11k extra science (and counting)...trading it in for a measly sum of a few hundred grand just seems not worth it.

It's quite easy to grind science and get everything unlocked very quickly in the game. My recommendation is to start a new game, but play differently.

Add some mods, like Construction Time, station science, or one of the contract mods, and make it a goal to NOT grind science. You'll find that the game plays very differently, and you'll probably enjoy it a whole lot more.

In addition, if you go the "start a new career" game, you also can change the difficulty settings.

I personnaly find the hard settings maybe just a little bit too grindy, so maybe you can try either a "stock" hard career, or fiddle with the difficulty sliders to your liking.

I agree, playing without grinding for science adds to the experience. I am still stuck with Mk2 parts and focus on completing missions as efficiently as possible; much slower pacing, lots of more challenge.

At some point I might want to add that big colonization mod, life support mod, scansat, remotetech, in order to make the experience more challenging by simulating even more realism.

Eh, science is an endless currency for a limited things that can be purchased by it. Adding more stuff that can be unlocked with it just mean you have to spend more to get everything, but eventually it stops matter. Would be nice if that can be used to train pilots or to "locate" (spawn customized) asteroids around the system, or to reduce random failure chance if we are adding that (think of science as development and testing time, the more you put in, the less risk)

Would it be possible to make a mod that adds a "future technology" node into the techtree which doesn't do anything apart from being unlockable multiple times?

Something like the last Tech from the Civilization-games?

Like in Civ, each time you unlock it, it counts up (Future I, Future II...) and gets more expensive...

So you had something to spend your science on and although absolutely useless you get at least a sense of accomplishement for unlocking it everytime.

Should I post that idea in the "suggestion" - subforum?

I think the passive upgrades idea would be a nice use for endgame science (ex: add 1% isp to all engines), Each upgrade in a category could get progressively more expensive, so you would never actually run out of things to spend science on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.