No Atmospheric Drag

I recently updated to 1.0.4 and began encountering an unusual problem. I loaded into a station I was aerobraking on Kerbin to circularize its orbit. This proceeded without incident (PE was about 45km). I then detached a Mk1-2 pod and reentered way to steep. However I impacted the ground at over 2.4 km/s. The pod was accelerating right up to impact with the ground, though it displayed full aerodynamic visual effects (heating included). I also noticed the heat shield never lost any ablator resource (despite passing through the lower atmosphere at 2000 m/s+).

I then loaded a new Mk1 pod and 1.25m heat shield and launched it (thinking the problem may have been due to the original craft being in space during the upgrade). It had exactly the same problems. These two attempts both had several mods installed (KW Rocketry, E.V.E., MechJeb, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Protractor, and a few part packs for science parts).

I then removed all of the mods and tried again in a new sandbox save. Again with a Mk1 pod, no heat shield this time, and again no atmospheric drag whatsoever, pod accelerated all the way to impact.

Anybody else seen something like this? Any suggestions of things to try would be appreciated.

I don't think hardware is an issue, but I've attached DXDIAG output in case. Summary is below:

Thanks - Patrick

KSP 1.0.4.861 (Steam)

Windows 7 64bit Professional

AMD Athlon II X4 640 (4 core, 3.0 GHz)

16 GB DDR3-1600 ram (2x8GB)

500 GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD

2X ATI Radeon 5770 (Crossfire)

No, should be stock aerodynamics. I made sure to remove all mods to make sure it wasn't a 1.0.4 incompatibility issue (and I've never used FAR or Deadly Reentry).

I noticed a similar issue in this thread on Linux after I posted the original message.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126332-No-evidence-of-reentry-heating-of-any-kind

The consensus seems to be that it depends on how you launch the game, but I make a point to launch from within Steam, as I have a "-force-opengl" flag set. Not sure if there is a "better" way to launch it.

I'm getting the opposite after installing 1.04 clean install, it's either to much drag and or no mass attributed to the tanks. Even half full of fuel they just float down sideways. And just land on top of water with out settling in. A capsule with out anything attached sinks about 2/3 down. Mine is straight PC, no Steam. Win 7.

Strange physics behavior might be attributed to a bad Physics.cfg file (especially with Steam). Try renaming the Physics.cfg file, then verify your game cache in steam. That should force the Physics.cfg to download again. See if that helps.

Cheers,

~Claw

Strange physics behavior might be attributed to a bad Physics.cfg file (especially with Steam). Try renaming the Physics.cfg file, then verify your game cache in steam. That should force the Physics.cfg to download again. See if that helps.

That seems to have fixed it for me! I'll check later if adding the mods back in breaks it again. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.