Interplanetary SSTO - possible in 1.0.4?

I've been trying to make an SSTO that goes to Duna and back. I've succeeded in landing it on Duna, and my best attempt has around 2800m/s of dv when landed on Duna. I can get it into orbit around Duna again, but barely. It has around 400m/s left when in Duna orbit, which isn't enough to return - even Ike slingshots aren't enough to get me back to Kerbin.

I managed to make an SSTO capable of returning to Kerbin but it uses drills and an ISRU converter to refuel so it feels sort of cheat-y to do that, so I want to make a craft that doesn't do that.

My question is - is it possible to make an SSTO capable of landing on Duna and then returning to Kerbin without refueling?

I've been trying to make an SSTO that goes to Duna and back. I've succeeded in landing it on Duna, and my best attempt has around 2800m/s of dv when landed on Duna. I can get it into orbit around Duna again, but barely. It has around 400m/s left when in Duna orbit, which isn't enough to return - even Ike slingshots aren't enough to get me back to Kerbin.

I managed to make an SSTO capable of returning to Kerbin but it uses drills and an ISRU converter to refuel so it feels sort of cheat-y to do that, so I want to make a craft that doesn't do that.

My question is - is it possible to make an SSTO capable of landing on Duna and then returning to Kerbin without refueling?

Probably; Duna transfer is about 1km/s, aerocapture and landing is free, return to orbit is something like 1.5km/s. It's not that much more than a Mun trip.

What you want is just enough RAPIERs to get off the runway and up to speed, just enough oxidiser to lift the apoapsis out of the atmosphere, a nuke or two plus as much LF as you can carry. For example, this one (built for FAR, but it'll do as a demonstrator):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

3,741m/s ÃŽâ€V in LKO unrefuelled.

It's a lot easier to do if you're willing to top up the tanks in LKO, though; 5,000m/s or better is available of you do that.

The tricky bit with Duna is the landing, not the flying. Airbrakes, chutes, retrothrusters and wide-set landing gear are all recommended.

I can land on Duna with no airbrakes if I land on a flat area (oh the amount if times I've smashed into the side of a hill...) though airbrakes do sound like a good idea as I find myself using my engine to maintain a steady glide until I've bled off enough speed to land, which is wasted fuel.

My issue isn't really landing though, I can do that ok, it's getting back to Kerbin that's the hard part. Because of Duna's thin atmosphere and my awful TWR I'm spending a lot of time in Duna's lower atmosphere because I can't pitch up a lot without losing speed. Because I'm spending so much time in the lower atmo, I'm wasting dv from pushing through the atmosphere, but I can't not do that because I lose speed otherwise.

I think my issue is the TWR problem, I need to save some oxidiser for my closed-cycle RAPIERs to use at Duna.

EDIT: Should I post my craft here too? o:

Edited by yorshee

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.