The Stanley Parable

RAINCRAFTER

XDaCUTP.jpg

The Stanley Parable is the name of two subjects; one is a Half-life 2 map created in 2012. It mocked the trope in gaming of the narrator dictating every action of the player's movement by having the Narrator say something, and having the choice to either follow it, or not. The second subject is the HD remake that got Greenlit on Steam in 2013. This version was very similar to the mod, except a lot was still different.

Sorry, the Narrator was holding his grasp on me. So basically, this is a discussion thread about this awesome game worth all $15 the HD remake costs with many weird endings, and many choices. (The way I was introduced was by the Danny2462 video. I loved it, watched the Pewdiepie let's play, and got the game right after I got the demo. (It's a confusing demo, even for what the game is.)) So just go wild and say theories about this game! (But don't spoil it without saying you are intending to do so with a spoiler alarm.)

The Game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/221910/

Danny2462 video:

(Kind of vice president of the thread: Camacha.)

Edited by RAINCRAFTER

To be honest, I do not think the experience should be reduced by talking about it. This is one of those things you really need to experience, as it not only a story, but also a lesson on how you do things and play games.

Ok, it's just that I love this game and want to spread the word about it.

Fair enough, the word deserves to be spread! :) It really is one of those titles that shows me gaming is becoming more mature as a form of expressing and investigating human nature. I am reluctant to call it a true art form yet, though it certainly is more than mere entertainment (and mere entertainment can admittedly and arguably be called art). More and more of these kinds of titles are cropping up and they seem more valuable than the nth shooter with the same mechanics and similar story.

Edited by Camacha

Fair enough, the word deserves to be spread! :) It really is one of those titles that shows me gaming is becoming more mature as a form of expressing and investigating human nature. I am reluctant to call it a true art form yet, though it certainly is more than mere entertainment (and mere entertainment can admittedly and arguably be called art). More and more of these kinds of titles are cropping up and they seem more valuable than the nth shooter with the same mechanics and similar story.

That was exactly what I was thinking! Thanks, you get the point. And back to it, don't spoil without giving a clear alarm of some sort.

Yes, that was the point I was trying to make in a rather ineloquent way. Thanks for being more concise :D

Your welcome. Things are getting kind of hectic tonight, between my Newgrounds account and my forum account, I just sort of rushed. Sorry, but now that mistake is past us, let's wait for the views!

Try "antichamber" whenever' date=' if not already done ; ) you might like it too gameplay wise and with a similar and different kind of approach of the same and different concepts at the same and different times ; ) but shh shhh don't spoil ; )[/quote']

Agreed, Antichamber is another work that is very interesting. It is different, yet does remind of Stanley's Parable.

Oh, I've never heard of that one. Might give it a try.

EDIT: $20 is too much after the fifteen I spent on Stanley. Oh well, at least it's on my Steam wishlist. Oh yeah, and there's no demo.

;.;

Edited by RAINCRAFTER

kinda oldies now, but goodies too and pretty short also like S.P. ; )

(edit: yup good concepts often (not always: hints are not all ways clues whatever the path written or not as it could or may appear ; ) remain expensive overtime ; ) wait for some sales to try ; ) if you can ; ) sometime it's hard ; ) hihi; all depending of what kind of gamer you are ; )

edit 2: this last comment is kind of kindly crual ; yup i know xDr sorry & forgive me ; ) but as told i won't spoil one or the other title ; ) i enjoyed both equally just in case enjoying two things 100% and none a single additive decimal equally is possible not sure about that and ya ? ; )

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
i m horrible in fact ; ) i could aggree with that ; )

Oh, I've never heard of that one. Might give it a try.

EDIT: $20 is too much after the fifteen I spent on Stanley. Oh well, at least it's on my Steam wishlist. Oh yeah, and there's no demo.

;.;

I saw it come by very cheap in the sale, just wait until next December and you will have it for a good price :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.