[1.04] Gimbals on probe engines freak out upon soi change.

I've noticed that when I send vessels (manned and unmanned) to the mun or minmus (didn't notice for duna since I aero braked) they seem to be far less controllable when I try to make manoeuvres away from kerbin. This was very strange to me but I thought maybe I poorly balanced the vessel and with less fuel it simply "happened" (even though it caused the vessels to move around erratically sas or no sas).

I've now discovered that it was the gimbals, for some reason forcing the thrust in some random-ass direction. When I locked the gimbals in neutral everything seemed fine but obviously I had to now turn using purely the OP torque.

It seems that the violent SOI change (seriously I don't remember it being that shaky in pre 1.0 and I've only started playing again when 1.03 came out) causes the gimbal behaviour to freak out. Craft file for the vessel below.

http://www./download/xpdl81d1g4kl8vm/Auto-Saved_Ship.craft

Only modded parts on the ship (I think) are 2 SCANsat parts, the srb and everything else is vanilla I think.

Mods I have installed are:

Ambient Light Adjustment - 1.4.4.1

Chatterer - 0.9.5.86

Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.5.2

Editor Extensions - 2.12

Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.3.1

KAS - 0.5.2

Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.0.17

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.4

Kerbal Inventory System - 1.1.5

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

Infernal Robots - 0.21.2

ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.0

Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.2

PlanetShine - 0.2.3.1

RCS Build Aid - 0.7.2

SCANsat - 1.1.2.1

TextureReplacer - 2.4.6

Trajectories - 1.3

Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.4

Alternate Resource Panel - 2.7.2

Also

KSP: 1.0.4 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

This is seriously strange behaviour from the engines. And yes I've noticed it in multiple different engines (the tiny one present on this probe and the bigger 45kn thrust ones)

PS. Sorry if this already has been reported. I did a rudimentary search but I was always terrible at them.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.