[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

I tried this on my previous save game, and when I went to an (unmanned) base on the Mun, the base was there, but the Mun was not.

OK, checked again, and with my minmus base as well. It is there, but below the surface. If I zoom out, I can see minmus. The moon is gone. Also, after going to them from the tracking station, I cannot change vessels in map view. Odd.

When you get problems like that you need to supply log files. output_log.txt (for Windows) or player.log (Linux or Mac)

if you can't change vessels or things are missing then there's a good probability that those logs have errors.

And for base building especially, make sure your terrain detail is on maximum. Preferably before building ;)

Do these have TAC support/will they have tac support in the future. And do you plan on making a LS module? Like TAC wedges for the supply section. That would be cool and handy.

What an awesome parts Nils277! Great concepts!

I really appreciated the stockalike part descriptions. The Hab2 didn't have a deploy optopn in the VAB, but it was like an Easter Egg when realising it could deploy!

Bugs: I couldn't get a kerbal to transfer into the Hab2 nor the Greenhouse - trying to enter from the outside came up with the notice that the module was already full.

Suggestions? Three!

It would be great if the parts lined up with the Mk2 system (I think I notice the bottom extending out, and the top doesn't quite line up). I really like the design ethic though, so perhaps rather than redoing all your amazing work, an adapter which may count as 'legs' holding the station slightly above the ground would work. In Antarctica most buildings are on stilts partly for thermal insulation.

TAC support would be great. It would seem that your modular storage may have had this in mind!

Having the transparent windows as available from RasterProp as an option would be cool as well. Seeing those inside the bases would be funky, through I appreciate I have no idea how difficult it is to implement, and the standard windows default with that additional mod.

Thanks again for a great mod!

Peace.

Do these have TAC support/will they have tac support in the future. And do you plan on making a LS module? Like TAC wedges for the supply section. That would be cool and handy.

That is exactly what's planned for the major LS-Mods :wink:

What an awesome parts Nils277! Great concepts!

Bugs: I couldn't get a kerbal to transfer into the Hab2 nor the Greenhouse - trying to enter from the outside came up with the notice that the module was already full.

Suggestions? Three!

It would be great if the parts lined up with the Mk2 system (I think I notice the bottom extending out, and the top doesn't quite line up). I really like the design ethic though, so perhaps rather than redoing all your amazing work, an adapter which may count as 'legs' holding the station slightly above the ground would work. In Antarctica most buildings are on stilts partly for thermal insulation.

TAC support would be great. It would seem that your modular storage may have had this in mind!

Having the transparent windows as available from RasterProp as an option would be cool as well. Seeing those inside the bases would be funky, through I appreciate I have no idea how difficult it is to implement, and the standard windows default with that additional mod.

Thanks again for a great mod!

Peace.

The Bug (it's a feature :wink:) The deployable modules only can hold kerbals when they are deployed. The also can't be retracted until all Kerbals have left this part.

To the suggestions:

1. For the TAC support, look my answer above in this reply. TAC is planned for the modular storage.

2. An adapter might be a good idea

3. I also have at least an alternative for the greenhouse with slightly transparent windows, which will be added as an option in the next releases. This means though, that the light animation will not be very good, because there is no transparent shader that is also emissive.

Excellent addon!

Made my prototype colonization module and cheat tested it on Dune and Kerbin (hyperedit to high orbit, aerobreak, landing and construction). Everything seems fine.

What Im dreaming of is the module with retractable wheels (or semi-hidden wheels on bottom) in form factor of your rocket module. I prefer to use wheels on surface and have an option to rearrange my base any time).

http://imgur.com/a/NE0jp

Sorry for my English. Thanks for your work.

OK, log sent. Terrain detail doesn't matter.

I'm fine with breaking saves on a WIP, so no worries.

Regarding emissive glass... Meh. I'd rather have a clear view out, myself. YMMV.

what about small landing legs under the modules like SpaceX pods ones?

Not a bad idea, since no extra parts, and you'd always be sure they raised it exactly the same height vs fiddling with legs.

Thanks for the reply!

The Bug (it's a feature :wink:) The deployable modules only can hold kerbals when they are deployed. The also can't be retracted until all Kerbals have left this part.

Of course! I should have thought of that!

To the suggestions:

1. For the TAC support, look my answer above in this reply. TAC is planned for the modular storage.

2. An adapter might be a good idea

3. I also have at least an alternative for the greenhouse with slightly transparent windows, which will be added as an option in the next releases. This means though, that the light animation will not be very good, because there is no transparent shader that is also emissive.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how your progress. Great work!

Peace.

Any suggestions on how to get this to Eve's surface? The re-entry destroys my base... Maybe a dedicated large-scale heat shield for deploying these base? Or a variation on the current fairings that allows them to act like heat-shields?

Any suggestions on how to get this to Eve's surface? The re-entry destroys my base... Maybe a dedicated large-scale heat shield for deploying these base? Or a variation on the current fairings that allows them to act like heat-shields?

Try to pack them bottom-to-bottom inside stock fairings and add some aerobrakes behind fairing base.

If you get Deadly Reentry, the procedural fairings can have ablative material added to them. (not sure if I only did that for the stock fairings or e-dog's PF fairings too.... I better check that)

Then you could make a Copernicus style aeroshell.

Regarding emissive glass... Meh. I'd rather have a clear view out, myself. YMMV.

Not a bad idea, since no extra parts, and you'd always be sure they raised it exactly the same height vs fiddling with legs.

what about small landing legs under the modules like SpaceX pods ones?

Separate landing legs were planned for the next release :)

Think i should add the landing legs as standard to the adapter and engine modules...

The glassy parts war quite a lot of work, but i add at least the greenhouse glassy version as optional part in the download and see what the overall resonance is.

Just came here to say that these parts look really good, is this your first mod?

Thanks :) Jep its my first mod. Had been programming other stuff though^^

This is awesome! I love this mod. :D

A couple of suggestions would be to add EL Workshop support to the habitats (so far only the command modules have this), and to add adapters so the gangway pieces connect to the modules more smoothly.

Do you think you could make the greenhouse compatable with TAC Life Support as well?

Jep, the greenhouse will also support TAC-LS once this is added. The USI-LS compatibility is still only for test purposes.

I'll add a FAQ section to the main post tomorrow, when i have a bit more time at hand. :wink:

Maybe you could make the quarter-ore/battery/fuel/mono tanks a single tank with a tweakable. All it would need would be Interstellar Fuel Switch as a dependency. The same with the tube and tank parts.