[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

ahahahahahaha

3m TRICOUPLERS WOULD WORK

http://i.imgur.com/GkldIWG.png

There's even room in the middle for a 1.25m stack! For, uh, carefully sized companion rovers, or support satellites, or something. Or, y'know, More boosters... ;)

Whatcha think, oh modelling maestro? :D

This part would be ideal as you can put a support beam in the middle. this allows for me to have a cupola on the end of all stacks.

I agree, it also allows for deploying them radially after landing, feet/wheels down?

Do you mean like, "roll to the desired spot and drop the cargo"-style. That would be a cool way of doing it.

This part would be ideal as you can put a support beam in the middle. this allows for me to have a cupola on the end of all stacks.

Do you mean like, "roll to the desired spot and drop the cargo"-style. That would be a cool way of doing it.

On low-gravity bodies I have been landing the habs vertically, then tipping the craft onto the leg/wheel side. I have used both the engine part, or added radial engines to them (sometimes monoprop) to cushion the fall. Alternately long legs at the "nose" so the wheels are not damaged. I then retract those, and if in the way, remove the legs and store them (KIS).

I'd envisoned it working like the current 2m version - you break the ships apart in orbit, and land them individually. It also looks tidier, because you see the habitats while it's in-flight rather than their bottoms.

The idea of the 1m internal bit also amused me to no end :D

That said, I might have a go flipping them over tonight and see where we go, eh? :)

Regarding the airlock issue - on pondering it, I feel that's more what Cupolas and Command Modules are for, too. The roof hatches are a reserve/emergency access (And needed from a game mechanic perspective), but the real doors are in the command modules. They've even got proper modelled doorways and everything!

They are also small enough that they may well qualify as suitable airlocks in and of themselves, come to think of it. :)

just out of curiosity tried to couple planetary base systems with mfs, it 'almost' match :P

[...]

http://i.imgur.com/1bBkZaC.jpg

This one looks cool :)

ahahahahahaha

There's even room in the middle for a 1.25m stack! For, uh, carefully sized companion rovers, or support satellites, or something. Or, y'know, More boosters... ;)

Hmm...it might be a good idea to add the Tri-Cupler. For those who think that the Bi-Cupler is not big enough.

The wheels and legs look awesome! How will they work when triggering the gears on tab button?

Hmm...i'm not sure what the question is. When the gear is lowerd the game will put the wheels in their idle position for the time the part is animating.

Those wheels are cute! Do they end up extending to the same height your 'normal' landing legs for standardisation purposes? I also assume they're balanced to be rubbish /rover/ wheels; all slow and expensive to run? They're for housemoving, not exploring, after all ;) Actually looking at the model, I'd half expect their suspension to retract all the way up as the legs extend, too. Is that a challenge to animate?

Idly: Do you still plan for a KAS extendible transfer tube? Not the end of the world, I'm just curious and loving this thing far too much. :)

They don't have the height of the other legs for now. I want to change this later. This will be done when i take care of the orientation for the Legs in the editor as well.

And yes the wheels are damn slow :wink:

The KAS-Tube is also on the list of parts to make. (I thinks is also is already mentioned in the main post).

ahahahahahaha

I'd flip them 180 degrees each, that would eliminate 1.25m stack but make the whole thing thinner.
I agree, it also allows for deploying them radially after landing, feet/wheels down?

I agree with both, so why not do both, providing Modelling Maestro is up for it. :P I could find uses for both orientations.

Great parts pack, nice looks, the IVA's are great, and it really fills a niche. One thing though, would you mind providing support for the community tech tree with future releases? To put them into the kolonization line of nodes?

Thanks.

Regarding the 'inverted' design: It's not nearly as pretty. :(

I didn't manage to get a screenshot before KSP crashed last night, but both designs require a certain amount of 'bulging' out past the diameter of a true 3.75m part - but while roof-side-out is a bulge, bottom-side-out ends up with awkward spiky bits (the corners of the bases) poking out, ending up with a star-shaped profile.

I guess you can make a coupler for anything if you try, but the look just isn't as nice.

Great parts pack, nice looks, the IVA's are great, and it really fills a niche. One thing though, would you mind providing support for the community tech tree with future releases? To put them into the kolonization line of nodes?

Thanks.

Look in the FAQ section in the main post :wink: It is already mentioned to be added in the future.

I agree with both, so why not do both, providing Modelling Maestro is up for it. :P I could find uses for both orientations.

Hmm...i don't think that i will add both, there are already a lot of parts. But on will be added! :wink:

Regarding the 'inverted' design: It's not nearly as pretty. :(

[...]but while roof-side-out is a bulge, bottom-side-out ends up with awkward spiky bits (the corners of the bases) poking out, ending up with a star-shaped profile.

Not easy to decide. But not only from a aesthetical point of view:

The version with the bottom inside has the advantage that you can move away from the part with the Meerkat engine. But you might get problems with the landing legs when they face inwards and collide with the other stuff...

I have to evaluate empirically which way is better.

Also here is the Example Craft i promised a long time ago:

It won't be able to get you to other planets but at least it can easily reach a stable orbit to land it anywhere on kerbin

Example Craft

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Those wheel-legs are fantastic. Full kudos on that design, man :D

And yeah, good luck on the 3.75m tricoupler. I suspect my design would need to be padded out wider to make it fit entirely neatly with landing legs on, but that just leaves more room for the central rover, right? :P

I'm happy either way, but the idea of a truly massive colonisation vessel does please me greatly.

Edited by Reiver

Aaaaaaand its update time!

I'm finally done with the first iteration for the Life-Support mods. This update adds not less than 41(!) new parts.

(Don't be afraid about your RAM though, i managed to squeeze these parts all into one 10242 texture and two 5122 (one diffuse and one normal) textures.

You need ModuleManager (tested with 2.6.6) to use the KIS and LifeSupport parts!

Link:

From KerbalStuff

From CurseForge

Changelog:

New Parts:

• Added Landing-Leg/Wheel combination part
  • Added Storage Module for 4 Containers

Mod Support:

• Added support for the following Life-Support mods (This might break the Greenhouse as it is used now)
    1. TAC-LS
    2. USI-LS
    3. Ioncross Crew Support
    4. Snacks!
    5. ECLSS
    6. IFI Life Support

Enhancements:

• Added config file to enable/disable filter in the VAB/SPH (as prep. for FilterExtension compatibility)
  • Changed capacity of the KIS container to be more realistic.
  • Life Support mods can have their on function filter
  • Added option to see all parts in one function filter (disabled by default)

Bug fixes:

• Fixed Landing Leg having wrong suspension name (it spammed the log)
  • Corrected typo in Airlock IVA texture

Unfortunatly i wasn't able to use the names for the parts that MeCripp provided despite saying so. I had to make the names keep some kind of naming convention to allow the separate Life-Support category.

So: The containers will not replace the ones from MeCripp. Make sure to replace them all before deleting his parts!

As always:

When you find a bug or have suggestions for tweaks let me now!

Does this update add official CTT support?

Nope, not yet. This is planned for the next update. I concentrated on adding the parts for the Life-Support Mods.

Lol, i got it from kerbalstuff before this post XD

and can you go online on skype? xD

Yep, took me some time to write the post.

No, friday maybe, tomorrow is a lot to do and it's already 0:34 in the night (i need some sleep :wink:)

Also here is the Example Craft i promised a long time ago:

It won't be able to get you to other planets but at least it can easily reach a stable orbit to land it anywhere on kerbin

Example Craft

THANK YOU! now i can get the docking ports correct! IDK why but i just couldn't get them to separate correctly.

these wheels are everything i wanted and more! A+ sir keep it up!!

Edited by hippieheadshot