[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

@Nils227: I notice the 'MAL' control unit is surface attachable but when attached like that instead of node attached, it ends up upside down.

If you add a surface attachment node it'll orient properly.

This one works though it could probably stand to be elevated just a touch.

node_attach = 0, -0.025, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0

naaah, way many base mods with inflatable stuff xD

There's only one as far as I'm concerned. The animations on most of the others leaves a lot to be desired :(

Thanks, never thought that it would be downloaded so often :D

I guess you don't know then do you. The concept art for planetary bases in the style of what you did here has been tossed around the forums a lot.

You hit on one of the gold mines of KSP modding. What boggles my mind is that its taken until 1.0 for someone to do this. You nailed something that people have been wanting for as long as I've been here (0.20.2!) and you nailed it. The stockalike execution of this pack is perfect. If my RAM budget wasnt so tight this would make it into my permanent mod list (currently it sits in my primary rotation). What you have here is more than worthy of all the DL and praise it has gotten. Believe me when I say this stuff could very well become the next SpacePlanePlus.

EDIT: Just realized its K&K Surface and Orbit Structures. That mean there's an orbital line in a whole different aesthetic you have plans for?

I have a base with the old version on Duna right now, should i update or rescue them first?

Up until taters post i would have said, that is should be save. Probably best to let the kerbals stand next to the base and wait for the update. I still have my base from 0.1.0 on minmus and it still works.

I had the exact same problem this time as last time with my save game... Facilities landed, mun gone.

That is really strange...as far as i remember the only things i changed in the old parts were the flags (Just resize and/or mirror), the corrected typos and the lowered back of the chairs in the habitat...

Love the mod!

Nice K&K icons and good idea separating the gangways from the modules with two manufacturers.

The Gangway Docking Port should be in 'gangway and sewer pipes' manufacturer.

There needs to be a 'planetary base system' fuselage type in the 'cross section profile' advanced sort. Just needs a little icon.

Hmm..they actually have the size one profile...but maybe thats a good idea :wink:

@Nils227: I notice the 'MAL' control unit is surface attachable but when attached like that instead of node attached, it ends up upside down.

If you add a surface attachment node it'll orient properly.

This one works though it could probably stand to be elevated just a touch.

node_attach = 0, -0.025, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0

Whoopsie :D Jep it is upside down, will be fixed in the next update.

I guess you don't know then do you. The concept art for planetary bases in the style of what you did here has been tossed around the forums a lot.

You hit on one of the gold mines of KSP modding. What boggles my mind is that its taken until 1.0 for someone to do this. You nailed something that people have been wanting for as long as I've been here (0.20.2!) and you nailed it. The stockalike execution of this pack is perfect. If my RAM budget wasnt so tight this would make it into my permanent mod list (currently it sits in my primary rotation). What you have here is more than worthy of all the DL and praise it has gotten. Believe me when I say this stuff could very well become the next SpacePlanePlus.

EDIT: Just realized its K&K Surface and Orbit Structures. That mean there's an orbital line in a whole different aesthetic you have plans for?

I also wondered why there was no mod for planetary bases. I too really hoped for one but eventually decided to make my own one. I really refused to do contracts for bases on planets because it wasn't really satisfying.

The name is mostly because of its acronym: KKAOSS, which is my Kerbal interpretation of "chaos" :D

But i already considered making least a orbital Size2 versions of the greenhouse, the storage system and the habitat...but this is waaaaay in the future:wink:

Thanks for the update, I'm eager to try the new parts out! Also, I came up with a solution to the KIS inventory problem. What you could do is that the inflatable things have in theory accessible seats, even when they are not deployed, but the module counts as "full" when not deployed. Would that be possible?

Looks very high quality, but please explain to me a practical way to transport these.

Mk3 cargo bay oriented upside down (bay doors opening towards the ground) should work. You could make a space plane like that if flying the base to somewhere on Kerbal. Or even to another planet with an atmosphere.

You could also mount them inside a fairing, use the fairing as a heat shield when reentering atmo. (though that probably only really works with Deadly Reentry, where I added ablative shielding to the fairings; stock & PF mod)

In the cargo bay you'd probably use a radial decoupler or if using KAS you would use a winch / connector port setup)

Thanks for the update, I'm eager to try the new parts out! Also, I came up with a solution to the KIS inventory problem. What you could do is that the inflatable things have in theory accessible seats, even when they are not deployed, but the module counts as "full" when not deployed. Would that be possible?

Should be. It's just a field to be set on the part....

I had the exact same problem this time as last time with my save game... Facilities landed, mun gone.
That is really strange...as far as i remember the only things i changed in the old parts were the flags (Just resize and/or mirror), the corrected typos and the lowered back of the chairs in the habitat...

Tater - I'd REALLY like to know what mods you're running with and see if I can cross-reference anything I'm setup with also to maybe narrow down the problem.

Nils - I've been having very similar issues to what Tater has experienced along with a number of other weirdness things...bases disappearing, facilities suddenly launching into the air from Mun/Minmus surface, kerbals disappearing from within the structures, save game corruption and many other funky things when I have this installed. I've never reported it because I play with 110+ mods and it's far more likely that I'm running into a conflict somewhere than it is a problem with your mod plus the fact that I have no logs pointing at a problem on your end. So far I haven't been able to track down the offending party but I'm still working on it and it's a LOT to get through but will let you know as soon as I come across anything that may be problematic as well as try to get logs or debug info for you if I can just isolate it.

I love this mod though and I'm fully determined to track down my issues and maybe help out others who are having problems along the way. Keep up the great work man - this is one of the best new mods to show up in a while and you've done a fantastic job with implementation.

That might be possible, although this would make it possible to add Kerbals into the parts in the VAB and SPH. I think this is still a good trade-off.

Looks very high quality, but please explain to me a practical way to transport these.
Great work on the parts! It looks like it may be a challenge to land these, at least for those of us that use up too much fuel on the way down

I'll post a gallery from a landing on Eve with atmosphere entry etc. later this day when i'm back from the university. :wink:

Tater - I'd REALLY like to know what mods you're running with and see if I can cross-reference anything I'm setup with also to maybe narrow down the problem.

Nils - I've been having very similar issues to what Tater has experienced along with a number of other weirdness things...bases disappearing, facilities suddenly launching into the air from Mun/Minmus surface, kerbals disappearing from within the structures, save game corruption and many other funky things when I have this installed. I've never reported it because I play with 110+ mods and it's far more likely that I'm running into a conflict somewhere than it is a problem with your mod plus the fact that I have no logs pointing at a problem on your end. So far I haven't been able to track down the offending party but I'm still working on it and it's a LOT to get through but will let you know as soon as I come across anything that may be problematic as well as try to get logs or debug info for you if I can just isolate it.

I love this mod though and I'm fully determined to track down my issues and maybe help out others who are having problems along the way. Keep up the great work man - this is one of the best new mods to show up in a while and you've done a fantastic job with implementation.

Wow....those bugs sound really horrible :0.0: Do they appear during normal gameplay or only directly after an update? Even a savegame corruption...:(

My first guess would be that they might be also related with the bug with KIS as more mods get confused when the initial crew capacity is zero but there are Kerbals inside of that part...

Maybe this is also related to a crash another user had (he had EPL, KAS, Kerbal Engineer, Kerbaltek, KIS, MechJeb2, RemoteTech, Trajectories, USI Life Support) installed. All i saw from the Logs war that somewhere a NullReferenceException was the cause but it didn't have any information where...

I totally thought that when this mod came out. This will be the next spaceplane plus mod. with such a hole in the snack market this mod deserves it.

Wow, so beutiful how this mod has the reputation amongst the concept art-makers of: Soo... you want a base, this is how it'll look : *shows KPBS-styled base*

Wow....those bugs sound really horrible :0.0: Do they appear during normal gameplay or only directly after an update? Even a savegame corruption...:(

My first guess would be that they might be also related with the bug with KIS as more mods get confused when the initial crew capacity is zero but there are Kerbals inside of that part...

Maybe this is also related to a crash another user had (he had EPL, KAS, Kerbal Engineer, Kerbaltek, KIS, MechJeb2, RemoteTech, Trajectories, USI Life Support) installed. All i saw from the Logs war that somewhere a NullReferenceException was the cause but it didn't have any information where...

They appear during normal game play and don't really appear linked to any specific update. I haven't had the time to create a fully stripped down install minus some of the big ones on that list - specifically EPL, KIS/KAS and I run TACLS instead of USILS but I've a sneaky suspicion that it's one of these since they are the ones that tend to invade parts no matter where they come from. I'd almost bet that it's KIS or TACLS more than anything else. I also run a "technically outdated" mod called Science Containers that adds experiment storage abilities to all command modules yet that is far more simplistic in implementation than KIS or TACLS and less likely to be the culprit. I did discover already that if you are running KIS/KAS it's NOT a good idea to enter one of the modules if you have anything in your inventory. On my game that will not only certainly cause the loss of those items but it has a tendency to eat kerbals when I do that. All of these issues are no real worry though since I keep backups of save games. It allows me to test out new stuff with fully modded games to see how well things work together but it does make tracking down issues a bit tough if I don't have a lot of time to futz around with it.

I pulled USILS and it still happened. I use KIS/KAS, though, and kjr.

Well I know that I'm getting a lot issues from KIS/KAS but I'm not sure that everything I've experienced is directly caused by it. I'm still hunting for other possible culprits. I also use KJR but if that's causing an issue it would be...well...strange to say the least since it really doesn't interfere with very much at all and I've never seen any exceptions getting thrown from it or other indicators. Of course, I haven't seen them for KIS either and I know that one is causing issues so...we'll see. I'll be sure to include KJR as part of my testing routine though just to make sure. Are those the only mods you're running (KAS/KIS, KJR and USILS)? If you've got others, feel free to PM me or make a list and dropbox it over or something. I'm determined to find my issues so we can make sure they get addressed.

This mod is too good to go without and I refuse to give it up! :wink:

I just started a new career, it only happened loading the save of the previous version. Actually, the save loads, but switching to the craft is an issue. All parts were stock, KPBS, or KIS. Based on the ground, or on wheels both affected.

I just started a new career, it only happened loading the save of the previous version. Actually, the save loads, but switching to the craft is an issue. All parts were stock, KPBS, or KIS. Based on the ground, or on wheels both affected.

Maybe you should post your output_log.txt when that happens. Let everyone take a look at it.

(I wonder if any attach nodes were added to preexisting base parts? That caused problems in KSP 1.0.3 but should have been fixed in 1.0.4...)

My guess is you're running into one of the weirdness issues like I have with KIS/KAS. I've had several problems with parts from that and KPBS. Starwaster's right though - if you can reproduce the problem, do so and post your output_log.txt for us to peruse and we might be able to glean some info from that.

Hey nils, how's going the TAC compatibility?, maybe this mod can help you make the compatibility in the greenhouse :)https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/663/SETI-Greenhouse

Thanks for the link. All i can say is that it is on the way :wink:...It is pretty time consuming to create all the parts for the various converters and storage containers.

Maybe you should post your output_log.txt when that happens. Let everyone take a look at it.

(I wonder if any attach nodes were added to preexisting base parts? That caused problems in KSP 1.0.3 but should have been fixed in 1.0.4...)

This is a great idea! I'm all but an expert with unity and more eyes may find the bug. tater already send me a log after the last update. All i found out is that there were some errors because the modules changed and they had the wrong index and had to be found again. Ultimatly there was a indexOutOfBounds-Exception for one of the attachmed-nodes, which most probably caused the error. I thought this was because i added multiple new nodes in the first update and KSP got confused by that.

But i have not changed any attachmend-nodes on the old parts since the last update. All i changed on the old parts was some streching and mirroring for some flags and some corrected typos. I'll make a diff for the config-files tomorrow to be sure i have not forgotten a significant change.

My guess is you're running into one of the weirdness issues like I have with KIS/KAS. I've had several problems with parts from that and KPBS. Starwaster's right though - if you can reproduce the problem, do so and post your output_log.txt for us to peruse and we might be able to glean some info from that.

That would be really great. I really hope to fix that bugs as they have a great potential to spoil the game.

For KIS/KAS, i know there is a bug for parts without an IVA (see here). I will change the default crew capacity for the parts to the deployed value and see if that at least temporarly fixes that specific bug.

Edited by Nils277

Well peoples, there's a new way for you to deliver your base modules. As of a few minutes ago, the official rerelease of Nertea's Mk4 Spaceplane System came out.

http://i.imgur.com/ASZGNqu.png

When you can put 45 tons in orbit easy, its not a hard stretch to jump over to the Mun carrying less than 20.

Hey, was just testing the base parts in the old Mk4 parts and was able to make a interesting transporter.